The U.S. thanks you for your cooperation, sir, now you're off to be tortured and killed (1 Viewer)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ex-informant fears torture if deported

By DENISE LAVOIE, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - More than two decades ago, Frank Enwonwu got caught smuggling five ounces of heroin into the United States from his homeland in Nigeria. He admitted his mistake and readily agreed to work as an informant, believing the U.S. had promised to keep him safe.

He went on to pursue his share of the American dream, driving a cab and training as a nurse's aide — until a change in law in 1996 retroactively made him liable to be deported for his drug conviction, despite his work to help the government.

Now, he weeps in a room at a homeless shelter he shares with his 13-year-old son, fearful that any day he could be sent back to Nigeria to be tortured or killed as drug dealers with long memories seek retribution for his work as an informant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080121/ap_on_re_us/immigrant_drug_informant

[Herbert Lemon Jr., DEA] said he feels badly for Enwonwu's wife and son who may be left behind in the United States, but said he does not fault the U.S. government for now moving to deport Enwonwu.

"He committed a criminal act, and as such, he has to face the consequences," he said.

What a crap attitude.

The man committed a crime 22 years ago, subsequently assisted the Feds in criminal cases, went on to make a life for himself, and yet all that can be dismissed because he still deserves to be punished?

The whole thing seems pretty lousy to me though, sadly, not the least bit surprising.

he emailed me once about a wad of cash that needed to be wired to my bank acc...

This will help win the war on drugs...

"Remember kids, if you rat on your friends, the US government will give you up as soon as you're no longer useful"

He should flee to Mexico, then return on the next moonless night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom