The Umbrella Academy on Netflix and Deadly Class on SyFy... (1 Viewer)

nolaspe

Slava Ukraini!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else watching?
Fun seeing Hank (Henry Rollins) in it...

I've been watching Deadly Class since it started. Haven't started The Umbrella Academy yet.

I've been watching Deadly Class since it started. Haven't started The Umbrella Academy yet.

Loved the whole 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' turn the last episode took, it was nuts.

I kind of like Deadly Class. It has some good characters, decent storyline, Benedict Wong makes this show more watchable because he brings character and depth, and believe it or not, humanity to most of the characters he plays in most TV series/movies he's ever been in. I loved him in Prometheus, Marco Polo, The Martian, Silence. He's a very underrated lead actor IMHO. The show's main protagonist, strikes me as a bit of a whiney, little birch who blames President Reagan for all of his life's screwups like he single-handedly meant to do it on purpose just to kids like him. Henry Rollins is hardly one to come off as some conservative, right-leaning Republican, but I get the sense in the show his character at some points get annoyed at this kid's constant whining and complaining at how much terrible sheet his life's been and just slap him and tell him it's time to grow up and stop blaming others for your problems or mistakes.

Umbrella Academy I know next to nothing about other then former X-Men star and host of Vice series Gaycation Ellen Page has a major role in it. She's a great actress, but I always get this sense that even in her movie/TV series roles, you always see this activist self come out. Everything is a forking cause for her somehow, and cynical types like me always get this impression that its as much about her ego and being the center of attention all the forking time then the causes she promotes. She comes across as a bit too predictable, which if you like her acting, and she's done some good performances and you support her causes, hey that's great, more power to you. I just get this sneaky suspicion that she likes the celebrity attention that comes with being a cause activist brings to her and the fame, and notoriety that comes with it more then just fighting the good fight. Maybe I have been reading too much into Catcher in the Rye that I've viewed opinionated, politicalized celebrities motives too closely or critically over the years to appreciate the real tangible good they've accomplished.

Strange this is, I actually like and respect musicians, professors/academics like Tom Morello, Cornell West, or Serj Tankian of System of a Down far more then I've ever liked her and their arguably more radical on the political spectrum than she is or ever could be. Morello's parents were actually anti-British Mau Mau revolutionaries from Kenya who fought British colonial rule throughout the 1950's and is a Marxist. Maybe because they seem more genuine and credible, and they don't have this sense of celebrity taint that their activism is sometimes guided by profit or their bloated egos then a sincere, deeply held convictions for social change.

Last edited:
We're watching Umbrella Academy right now, have enjoyed it so far. Another kids with powers show, it's all in how the write the story around them.

I kind of like Deadly Class. It has some good characters, decent storyline, Benedict Wong makes this show more watchable because he brings character and depth, and believe it or not, humanity to most of the characters he plays in most TV series/movies he's ever been in. I loved him in Prometheus, Marco Polo, The Martian, Silence. He's a very underrated lead actor IMHO. The show's main protagonist, strikes me as a bit of a whiney, little birch who blames President Reagan for all of his life's screwups like he single-handedly meant to do it on purpose just to kids like him. Henry Rollins is hardly one to come off as some conservative, right-leaning Republican, but I get the sense in the show his character at some points get annoyed at this kid's constant whining and complaining at how much terrible shirt his life's been and just slap him and tell him it's time to grow up and stop blaming others for your problems or mistakes.

Umbrella Academy I know next to nothing about other then former X-Men star and host of Vice series Gaycation Ellen Page has a major role in it. She's a great actress, but I always get this sense that even in her movie/TV series roles, you always see this activist self come out. Everything is a forking cause for her somehow, and cynical types like me always get this impression that its as much about her ego and being the center of attention all the forking time then the causes she promotes. She comes across as a bit too predictable, which if you like her acting, and she's done some good performances and you support her causes, hey that's great, more power to you. I just get this sneaky suspicion that she likes the celebrity attention that comes with being a cause activist brings to her and the fame, and notoriety that comes with it more then just fighting the good fight. Maybe I have been reading too much into Catcher in the Rye that I've viewed opinionated, politicalized celebrities motives too closely or critically over the years to appreciate the real tangible good they've accomplished.

Strange this is, I actually like and respect musicians, professors/academics like Tom Morello, Cornell West, or Serj Tankian of System of a Down far more then I've ever liked her and their arguably more radical on the political spectrum than she is or ever could be. Morello's parents were actually anti-British Mau Mau revolutionaries from Kenya who fought British colonial rule throughout the 1950's and is a Marxist. Maybe because they seem more genuine and credible, and they don't have this sense of celebrity taint that their activism is sometimes guided by profit or their bloated egos then a sincere, deeply held convictions for social change.

I'm 3 episodes in and Ellen Page is just acting, no politics.

I started watched Umbrella Academy this weekend. It is about what I expected with a Youth Super Powers show. The Time Travel might be a turn off for me but Hazel and Cha-Cha have been great so far.

It is like they got the idea from X-Men, the villian from The Incredibles and the plot from Quantum Leap but is wrapped up in a nice neat package.

I finished Umbrella Academy this weekend and really enjoyed it. Predictable in parts but still well written overall and I liked the actors. Sure it's "another show with people with powers" but much better than shows like The Runaways or The Gifted in my opinion.

I like the actor who played number 4 (the drug addict), he was in Misfits years ago and I liked him in that as well.

Umbrella Academy had a bit if a lull about 60% of the way in, but really picked up when Ellen Page's character "woke up". Just enough adult themes to keep me interested. The ending was great, although a bit predictable. I assume we're getting another season, although the way it ended is fine if they're done with it.

Umbrella Academy was pretty good. Can't really compare it to Deadly Class as its season is still going on. But if I had to pick, I'd lean Deadly Class right now.

Umbrella Academy had a bit if a lull about 60% of the way in, but really picked up when Ellen Page's character "woke up". Just enough adult themes to keep me interested. The ending was great, although a bit predictable. I assume we're getting another season, although the way it ended is fine if they're done with it.

Contrarily, I think it has to have a second season. The first season was basically a season long origin story for the team. The best part of the season was the last 20 minutes. The was the only time you saw the full capabilities of what the team "could" be. It would be a shame to have spent all that time character building and not do anything with it. Suffice it to say, I didnt think much of the season 1 storyline except that it was an unnecessarily tedious way to introduce the powers of the team.

Binged Umbrella Academy about a week and a half ago. I did find it predictable, but I thought it had the "family" dynamic that the Singer X-Men movies sorely lacked. I also got a major "Dark Pheonix" vibe toward the last few episodes. That kid that plays Number Five was pretty awesome.

Contrarily, I think it has to have a second season. The first season was basically a season long origin story for the team. The best part of the season was the last 20 minutes. The was the only time you saw the full capabilities of what the team "could" be. It would be a shame to have spent all that time character building and not do anything with it. Suffice it to say, I didnt think much of the season 1 storyline except that it was an unnecessarily tedious way to introduce the powers of the team.

They're not really a "team." If that's where you think this is going, it's...really not. Won't spoil the comics except to say that they're significantly more batshirt insane than the show. And while the superhero tropes are obvious, they're not really what any of this is building towards. It's a story about wildly dysfunctional people who were forced to be superheros as kids and how it damaged them as siblings and people. It's not a story about them being superheroes as adults. Not really.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom