The Unblackening: Larry Wilmore is cancelled (1 Viewer)

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Very disappointed by this news: I thought Wilmore was bringing a valuable, distinct, and morally charged perspective to the nightly news shows in a way that Trevor Noah has not been doing. I was not as enthusiastic about his staff (except Mike Yard) but it's especially unfortunate that the show is cancelled before the election. (According to some sources, the timing was dictated by Wilmore's contract, which was up for renewal in a few weeks.)

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore Canceled by Comedy Central | Variety

“The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore” will call it a day after Thursday’s episode.

Comedy Central has canceled the half-hour series that replaced “The Colbert Report” on Jan. 19, 2015, making “Nightly” the first of the recent wave of late-night newcomers to shutter. . . .

In the near term, Comedy Central will slide Chris Hardwick’s pop culture quiz show “@Midnight” to the 11:30 p.m. slot that follows “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah.”
Comedy Central president Kent Alterman said the decision was made because “Nightly” had failed to gain ratings traction with the cabler’s core demo of young adults, nor were there positive signs for the show in key social media metrics. Alterman made a point of praising Wilmore and the distinctive approach he brought to commenting on the day’s news. . . .
Alterman called it a “business decision” to pull the plug.
“I’m really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity,” Wilmore said in a statement. “But I’m also saddened and surprised we won’t be covering this crazy election or ‘The Unblackening’ as we’ve coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn’t counted on ‘The Unblackening’ happening to my time slot as well.” . . .

Wilmore is juggling numerous projects at present. He’s the co-creator and exec producer with Issa Rae of the upcoming HBO comedy “Insecure,” and he was instrumental in the launch of ABC’s “Black-ish” in the 2014-15 season.

OP
PayOrPlay

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Comedy Central Cancels Larry Wilmore’s Late-Night Show | The New York Times

The awkward timing of the cancellation, just 12 weeks before the election, ultimately came down to a contract, Mr. Alterman said. Mr. Wilmore’s deal, along with those of several of the show’s other staff members, was set to expire in a few weeks and the network had to decide now whether to renew or cancel. . . . Mr. Alterman said he hoped to name a full-time replacement for “The Nightly Show” some time next year.
“The Nightly Show” has been known for a signature segment, “Keep It 100,” (slang for always telling the truth, no matter the consequences) and for Mr. Wilmore’s often stinging commentary on race and this year’s election. (He called the election to find Barack Obama’s successor “The Unblackening.”) Though the late-show genre remains heavy on easygoing laughter, any one episode of “The Nightly Show” could occasionally go for prolonged stretches without a single joke, something that intrigued some critics but failed to attract a broader audience.
The move by Comedy Central is also the first concession that the transition from Mr. Stewart and Mr. Colbert — both pioneers of a certain kind of political comedy as media criticism and social commentary — to Mr. Noah and Mr. Wilmore has not gone as smoothly as the network had hoped. . . . “The Daily Show” had an average of 2.1 million viewers a night in Mr. Stewart’s final year as host, while Mr. Noah’s audience has averaged 1.3 million, according to data from Nielsen. Critical praise has also been lacking for Mr. Noah; this year, for the first time in 16 years, “The Daily Show” was not nominated for an Emmy in the best variety show category.

But Mr. Wilmore’s ratings have fallen off even more significantly, and he has lost more than half the audience that he inherited [from Colbert].

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
I think Wilmore is talented and funny, but I think the show's format was a weakness. I liked Wilmore's fake news anchor bit, but I really didn't like the roundtable format with the guests, and generally lost interest in the show once it got to that part of the segment. Bill Maher does that kind of thing WAY better.

Saintshizzle

G.O.M.A.B
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think he is funny at all. It's not what he says...it's his delivery or something. I have never laughed at that guy. "The Unblackening" did make me laugh tho...:hihi:

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mentioning Unblackening, I feel betrayed. I've been lied too all my life. I was told once you go black you never go back. So I figured that Bush was the last white president.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I watched the show a few times, the show sucked. Larry is a great talent, but this show was terrible.

The shows I watched, they had zero experts to talk to, it was a bunch of people just speculating and giving opinions of how they understood things. It was like a late night version of "The View" or one of those stupid day time gossip shows with a bunch of random people.

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I never thought it quite fit. As n2r mentioned above, the round-table format just didn't seem like a natural fit for Wilmore's talents (of which there are plenty). It takes skill to do such a thing. Maher has been good at it for years, and of course on the sports side we saw how good the late John Saunders was at it, as well as Schaap before him. It's tough to do. It was a nice try in an effort to distance the format from those of Stewart, Colbert, Oliver, etc...but it just didn't work.

Ultimately it comes down to ratings. It would have been nice to allow the show to continue through the election at least, but I won't fault a company for making a change if the numbers and money aren't making sense.

Last edited:

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
Mentioning Unblackening, I feel betrayed. I've been lied too all my life. I was told once you go black you never go back. So I figured that Bush was the last white president.
I had a joke for this but then the thread would have to be moved to BTL.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think he is funny at all. It's not what he says...it's his delivery or something. I have never laughed at that guy. "The Unblackening" did make me laugh tho...:hihi:
I agree that there is something about his delivery that was not funny. It also hurt him that Colbert is killing it on his new show that goes up directly in his time slot. Still, people have to actively change channels, so a good show may be able to at least keep Noah's audience.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
I watched the show a few times, the show sucked. Larry is a great talent, but this show was terrible.

The shows I watched, they had zero experts to talk to, it was a bunch of people just speculating and giving opinions of how they understood things. It was like a late night version of "The View" or one of those stupid day time gossip shows with a bunch of random people.
You raise a good point I didn't really hit on. Wilmore's guests were usually members of his supporting cast, with a random "celebrity" guest appearance. It did not make for scintillating discussion of topical or political subjects. Maher brings in heavyweight guests - journalists, politicians, influential writers, etc. - and also possesses the intellect and knowledge to stand toe to toe with his guests. Maher's ability to both control the discussion and make it compelling and entertaining, is impressive.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. I won't miss this show at all. Then again, I haven't warmed up to Noah yet either.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I liked Larry on the Daily Show when Jon Stewart was there. However, I was never fond of his own show (granted, I didn't give it much of a chance) and I really thought he tanked at the White House correspondents dinner. Some parts were funny, but others really missed the mark.

Trever Noah is a lot better, to me. I really enjoy his South African view point. It's easier for him to talk about the absurdity of everything, since he is an actual outsider.

The thing is, Jon didn't start out with all biting commentary and "moral compass" type commentary. He earned it over the years. I think that's what makes replacing these guys difficult.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hope this means the relaunching of the nightly show, I really missed it in the run up to the election

And whatever he does I hope he brings Mike Yard with him (and Robin Thede)
=========================================================

NEW YORK (AP) — Three months after Comedy Central axed "The Nightly Show," its host, Larry Wilmore, has signed a multi-year deal with ABC Studios, the company said Monday.

Under the deal, Wilmore will develop his own projects as well as supervise others while helping target talent for the studio.

Besides hosting "The Nightly Show" for 17 months, Wilmore co-created HBO's new hit comedy, "Insecure," as well as the Peabody Award-winning "Bernie Mac Show" and "The PJs," an animated series he co-produced with Eddie Murphy...........

'Nightly Show' vet Larry Wilmore signs deal with ABC Studios

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom