The Unemployment Line: COVID-19 Edition (2 Viewers)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For those recently unemployed or Underemployed... how has the process worked?

I.e. did you file online with your state? How long to get a response? How long to get a payment? Have you received the federal booster payment?

What were some of the first things you cut from your expenses?

And for those in rougher financial shape, are you doing ok?

I filled out my application on Friday, pretty quick. I dont transition to part time until next week. I haven't heard anything, but I expected it to be a while.

we were informed today to submit timesheets daily. hmm.

fortunately I remembered well from Katrina. If Louisiana does it completely online I would imagine most states do. Its relatively painless unless you have done it before and can't figure out your username because getting someone on the phone takes days and multiple hour holds.

Once you have filed, then the weekly claim process just consists of answering about 15 questions about the week. There is also a job search entry section but all of that has been deferred.

fortunately I remembered well from Katrina. If Louisiana does it completely online I would imagine most states do. Its relatively painless unless you have done it before and can't figure out your username because getting someone on the phone takes days and multiple hour holds.

Once you have filed, then the weekly claim process just consists of answering about 15 questions about the week. There is also a job search entry section but all of that has been deferred.
he's in florida so it is most likely the opposite

My state *WI* has asked me to be patient and not file for unemployment until the system is ready...I am a painting contractor and own my own LLC (up until Jan had been partners with my father) and have no employees. I often utilize subs when I get too slammed. I had ALL of my interior jobs cancel when the pandemic struck. Luckily my wife has been able to continue working uninterrupted, but our daycare (big facility) shutdown, so it has been full-time daddy daycare here for my 4 yr old daughter.

anyone here work for a large company (mostly consultants) with a "fishbowl" account?

fo'real this is the best site ever to read the end-of-the-world posts. so many entitled people on here expecting ridiculous whatever.

i normally don't visit, because of my previous paragraph, but it has been my personal amusement lately. sometimes there is a really good argument, but that happening is less than the failclowns winning a superbowl.

according to the thread of the company i work for, you'd think it is the apocalypse. i may lose months of income, but i read whatever they did totally different. it seems like we are getting "furloughed" not laid off. these people think that this the end of the world.

honestly, i know we are most likely just being furloughed (my division has already been understaffed, literally less than half of what we need), but the chances of not being employed after this is slim. they have invested more than 30k in me over the last few years, so if i have no job, thanks peeps :)

I know I am not alone here...
My job isn't going anywhere. But, while my wife is considered essential right now, depends on how much work they are getting. IF she has to go through the FL unemployment process, I hope that it follows your example and not the shirtshow we have been hearing about in the news.

anyone here work for a large company (mostly consultants) with a "fishbowl" account?

fo'real this is the best site ever to read the end-of-the-world posts. so many entitled people on here expecting ridiculous whatever.

i normally don't visit, because of my previous paragraph, but it has been my personal amusement lately. sometimes there is a really good argument, but that happening is less than the failclowns winning a superbowl.

according to the thread of the company i work for, you'd think it is the apocalypse. i may lose months of income, but i read whatever they did totally different. it seems like we are getting "furloughed" not laid off. these people think that this the end of the world.

honestly, i know we are most likely just being furloughed (my division has already been understaffed, literally less than half of what we need), but the chances of not being employed after this is slim. they have invested more than 30k in me over the last few years, so if i have no job, thanks peeps :)

Yo. I've got an active account, and very active company on that app. Doom and gloom is most of what you see, but most of it is younger folks with no perspective.

Consulting, generally speaking, does well in a downturn. There are some service lines that take a hit, but others pick up. Since consulting is all people based, they don't lay people off unless there's just no work to give them, and no hope of getting any. Its far cheaper to keep folks on board than to transition them out and hire more later.

We shouldn't be affected in the short term. If the recession ends up going long with no sign of an upswing, then I could see some impact to consultants in the fall.

I was laid off April 4.

On April 5 I signed up for unemployment on The People's Republic of Indianastan's website.

On April 13th I logged back in and verified that I did not work the week prior.

Today I received a direct deposit from the state along with the Fed's $600.

The only thing that I could cut from my expenses was Xfinity television but I had to keep internet.

Financially, I'll probably be fine for a considerable amount of time barring unforeseen expenses.

My concern is that oil futures fell like they did. That's liable to cause my job to close permanently. That won't just affect me, it'll probably mean that all of the local steel facilities close. That'll devastate the local economy.

I was laid off April 4.

On April 5 I signed up for unemployment on The People's Republic of Indianastan's website.

The only thing that I could cut from my expenses was Xfinity television but I had to keep internet.

Financially, I'll probably be fine for a considerable amount of time barring unforeseen expenses.

My concern is that oil futures fell like they did. That's liable to cause my job to close permanently. That won't just affect me, it'll probably mean that all of the local steel facilities close. That'll devastate the local economy.

Yeah, I keep thinking about the dummy saying that lower oil prices doesn't hurt anyone. I bet he's kicking himself now for saying that.

Yo. I've got an active account, and very active company on that app. Doom and gloom is most of what you see, but most of it is younger folks with no perspective.

Consulting, generally speaking, does well in a downturn. There are some service lines that take a hit, but others pick up. Since consulting is all people based, they don't lay people off unless there's just no work to give them, and no hope of getting any. Its far cheaper to keep folks on board than to transition them out and hire more later.

We shouldn't be affected in the short term. If the recession ends up going long with no sign of an upswing, then I could see some impact to consultants in the fall.
as for fishbowl, it has been the best entertainment. the stupidity runs rampant.

I was laid off April 4.

Sorry to hear this. And sorry for the slow reply.

Indiana seems to be fast, which is amazing. I filled out my UE back on April 17th. I still haven't even been properly registered into their system yet.

I think by Thursday I'll give them a call, if I haven't been transferred over, because I also may want to discuss my questionnaire. They worded a few things oddly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom