The War between Digital Streaming and Theatrical Releases (1 Viewer)

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

I for one can't wait until AMC goes the way of Blockbuster. I like going to the movies, but if those clowns want to make me pick options....I'll wait until it hits streaming.

It definitely seems like AMC is desperate here. Obviously, Universal's decision to release Trolls 2 direct to streaming was because of Covid. But perhaps it provided a nice test case for them. A company like AMC, worried about evolution in its business, resorting to using exclusivity as leverage never works out well in the longterm. It tends to sour relationships and hasten disintegration.

We have rented Trolls 2 now twice. That's $40. The kids are listening to the soundtrack and watching clips on YouTube. To them, the fact that we didn't see it in a theater is completely irrelevant.

I for one can't wait until AMC goes the way of Blockbuster. I like going to the movies, but if those clowns want to make me pick options....I'll wait until it hits streaming.

I haven't been to a movie in years. It's one of the reasons I invested in a good set up at home - my own snacks, bathroom, pause, etc. Now with a bunch of infected running around, I have even more reason not to go.

AMC is going to have to accept it.
When we hit a movie it’s at the Broad theater. We can bike there from the house and my wife and I can have a cocktail or a nice beer. I wonder if there is a trend in the millennials to support theaters like the broad.
AMC may be sweating because the future looks less solid financially.

When we hit a movie it’s at the Broad theater. We can bike there from the house and my wife and I can have a cocktail or a nice beer. I wonder if there is a trend in the millennials to support theaters like the broad.

Actually, I will amend my above statement to add that I went to the Broad to see a movie-concert about a year ago, and it was great. And the two millenials in my house go to (or used to) the Broad frequently, and never to AMC. It's anecdotal, but I agree with you.

I'm still not going, unless it's a special showing of something.

i can walk to Prytania which tilts the balance for me
my wife wants ALL of the amenities - recliners and the ability to order wine from said recliner
she usually wins

It definitely seems like AMC is desperate here. Obviously, Universal's decision to release Trolls 2 direct to streaming was because of Covid. But perhaps it provided a nice test case for them. A company like AMC, worried about evolution in its business, resorting to using exclusivity as leverage never works out well in the longterm. It tends to sour relationships and hasten disintegration.

We have rented Trolls 2 now twice. That's $40. The kids are listening to the soundtrack and watching clips on YouTube. To them, the fact that we didn't see it in a theater is completely irrelevant.

2 rentals for $40? You could purchase it once for less, right? Am I missing something here?

2 rentals for $40? You could purchase it once for less, right? Am I missing something here?

It's not out for purchase yet on streaming platforms - only rental (on-demand). It's how they're phasing the release, it's not "direct to video" with full options.

It's not out for purchase yet on streaming platforms - only rental (on-demand). It's how they're phasing the release, it's not "direct to video" with full options.

Ah, didn't realize that. Always thought streaming purchase/rentals were made available simultaneously. Which should tell you how often I use those options. If it's not available on Netflix or other similar streaming services, I'm not watching, heh.

Chuck's loaded.

One rental was full family movie night when it was first released. The second was a rainy weekend afternoon and the kids were driving me crazy so I rented it again and parked them in front of the TV.

It was worth it!

Actually, I will amend my above statement to add that I went to the Broad to see a movie-concert about a year ago, and it was great. And the two millenials in my house go to (or used to) the Broad frequently, and never to AMC. It's anecdotal, but I agree with you.

I'm still not going, unless it's a special showing of something.

You aren't going anytime soon anyway. I mean, how often can the Grateful Dead or Phish release a concert movie?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom