The way I see it, there's only two guaranteed locks to become franchise QBs in this draft (1 Viewer)

I agree with you, OP. I don't really like any of the other QBs. Herbert is garbage, Fromm's ceiling is Brad Johnson, and Love is super raw.

Pat Mahomes was tagged as super raw as well, that´s why he slid in round 1. The Chiefs drafted him knowing he needed a year to learn how to play as a pro. The Saints are in that exact situation.

Rarely is a QB a "sure thing." At some point, teams are forced to take a chance on a guy with skills.

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
Dude had one really, really good year and one borderline awful year. There's plenty of questions, especially given the WR talent around him at LSU.
2017 was in no way an awful year for Burrow. He was asked to be a game manager in an archaic offense, running a new system without a full off season to learn it behind an offensive line that did him no favors. He also added 400 yards and 7 TD's rushing.

Pat Mahomes was tagged as super raw as well, that´s why he slid in round 1. The Chiefs drafted him knowing he needed a year to learn how to play as a pro. The Saints are in that exact situation.
That doesn't make any of the QBs after Burrow and Tua into Patrick Mahomes, though. More likely Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert.

The last "locks" that actually panned out were the Manning brothers.

Andrew Luck as well. The retirement was his choice, not the NFL's.
But why did he retire again? Repeat injuries and he never took them to the promise land. I get your point but even he didn't get a ring or become a SB contender.

And let those other teams do it, while actual quality players slip to us.
That may be fine this year, but at some point, we will have to take a chance on a young QB.

I honestly feel like Payton can put any QB in the position to be successful

That may be fine this year, but at some point, we will have to take a chance on a young QB.
Sure thing, when the grade the team has on the player warrants the selection at that point. That doesn't mean a painful reach, 2011 is only one example of how badly that can tend to work out.

But why did he retire again? Repeat injuries and he never took them to the promise land. I get your point but even he didn't get a ring or become a SB contender.
If that's your definition of a sure thing, then your list was always going to be a short one.

Luck graded in the Peyton Manning bracket and his performances matched that grade IMO. The reasons for his retirement are the subject of speculation that may never be answered, reminds me of Barry Sanders decision to quit.

Not all great QBs win championships, and not all championships are only won by great QBs. But we both know this.

I like Jordan Love and Justin Herbert for the Saints. Both smart, athletic and big arms. CSP would do wonders with them. Draft them and sit them behind Brees a year. The more I look at Loves highlights he reminds me of Mahomes. I would be fine with either one though.

Burrow is as close to a can’t miss prospect as I’ve seen in a while and Tua just needs to stay healthy. What you mentioned about Herbert is tangible, it’s the intangibles where the questions lie with him. He has all the talent in the world, but can he go through his progressions and make quick, correct decisions consistently ? Love, likewise, has all the physical traits you look for in a QB, but it was only on display against inferior opponents. I personally don’t see Hurts making it as a QB in the NFL, he just doesn’t throw well from what I’ve seen. Jake Fromm has all the intangibles, but not sure he has the arm talent to be a starter. He will be in the league for a long time though as he seems like a perfect backup. Jacob Eason has a cannon for an arm, but is inaccurate. He is more of a project, but has long term potential.

Love reminds me of Mahomes a ton when I watch his highlights. I think he would do awesome here. But who knows they might all be busts and we will never hear from them again.

Mahomes was much more proven as a passer against top competition than Love is. Much, much, much. Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards against good competition his senior season. Love didn't even break 3,500 yards. Mahomes had already demonstrated the ability to read defenses and make sound football decisions on a consistent basis. His draft question marks were 1) some weird mechanics and 2) spread offense/having never taken a snap from under shotgun . Love's question marks are mostly around whether or not he has the mental capacity for the game. Those are two completely different things. You can fix mechanics, you can't really fix a lack of vision or football IQ.

On a side note, it was only a couple of years ago that spread/shotgun-only QBs were falling a bit in drafts because some scouts worried they would never be able to run a pro offense. Mahomes, and to a lesser extent Kyler Murray and to an even lesser extent Baker Mayfield squashed that a bit. Joe Burrow should send those guys Christmas cards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom