The willingness of Ozzie Newsome to trade (1 Viewer)

Gideon

Reaction score
I've been wondering and pondering

I don't think Ellis or Dorsey make it past Cincy...however there appears to be a good chance that one of them (probably Ellis) makes it to them (hence making it to Baltimore).

To trade up two spots would cost us our fourth, which we don't actually have anymore ( Vilma ). While I'm sure the FO could come up with something creative to get similar value, would Ozzie Newsome be interested in trading? I don't know what his "trading history" is like. There biggest needs, OL - CB - QB, would not likely be affected by picking at 8 or 10 (whoever they wanted at 8 would still be there at 10, since Cincy aren't likely to pick those guys)

Any thoughts?

Ozzie has to also realize that we can help his team out by removing a cornerstone of the D-line for years to come in Cinci. That should increase his willingness IMO.

To trade up two spots would cost us our fourth, which we don't actually have anymore ( Vilma ).

I think we need to sticky the fact that Vilma cost us our 4th rd pick NEXT YEAR - NOT THIS draft

I think Ozzie Newsome would be willing to trade with the saints if:

a) If their prime candidates to draft are already gone, for that I mean Matt Ryan or one of the offensive tackles.

b) Ozzie Newsome should have the security of who we are going to pick, and that can't be cornerback. Newsome may not have a problem for us to draft Ellis, but both teams need corners and I am sure that in case they are picking one, they want to have the choice to pick who they think is the best of the class.

NFL draft trade tracker 2007

Lions trade up with Ravens

Detroit Lions: Acquire pick No. 61 (selected S Gerald Alexander).
Baltimore Ravens: Acquire picks No. 74 (selected Yamon Figurs) and No. 101 (fourth round).

Ravens trade up with Jaguars

Baltimore Ravens: Acquire pick No. 86 (selected G Marshal Yanda).
Jacksonville Jaguars: Acquire picks No. 101 (fourth round), No. 166 (fifth round) and No. 203 (sixth round).

Traded up from 13th to 12th with the Browns to draft Haloti Ngata in 2006

Then they trade back in round 2. The Giants moved up to 12th pick of 2nd round to select Sinorice Moss sending Baltimore 24th pick of 2nd round (Chris Chester) and 23rd pick of round 3 (David Pittman)

In 05 draft they traded 3rd round pick from that year and 3rd round pick from following year (06) to select Adam Terry OT with last pick of 2nd round (from Patriots)

They traded their 2nd round pick and 1st the following year to move back into the 1st round to draft Kyle Boller (with New England)

It appears as though they generally like to off-set i.e. if they dealt the #8 pick to us and acquired our 3rd round pick, they would use the 3rd round pick to trade up in a later round (maybe from their pick in the 3rd round, back up into round 2. That would give them the #10 pick, early and mid 2nd round picks

I think we need to sticky the fact that Vilma cost us our 4th rd pick NEXT YEAR - NOT THIS draft

I may be wrong, but I believe Vilma cost us our 4th this year, plus a conditional next year based on performance. If he costs us an additional pick next year, we get the Jets 4th next year back.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but after mining the somewhat patchy info regarding the trade, this is what seemed to be the situation.

Thanks for that extra info regarding Ozzie...sounds like he's sufficiently wheeler dealerish for us to make this happen. I also think thats a great point that while the Ravens may not want Ellis per se, they probably definitely don't want him in their division for the next decade.

That is INCORRECT! It cost us the 4th THIS year and a conditional pick next year!

“Clearly we will be looking to get a player there that can help us,” Payton said. “But I know that our feeling is that we want players in the second, third, fifth, sixth and seventh rounds, as well. We have had players here that were taken in all of those rounds that we count on and we believe that will continue.”

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2008/3/Off And Running.aspx

No 4th round pick mentioned, because it belongs to the NY Jets!

I may be wrong, but I believe Vilma cost us our 4th this year, plus a conditional next year based on performance. If he costs us an additional pick next year, we get the Jets 4th next year back.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but after mining the somewhat patchy info regarding the trade, this is what seemed to be the situation.

Thanks for that extra info regarding Ozzie...sounds like he's sufficiently wheeler dealerish for us to make this happen. I also think thats a great point that while the Ravens may not want Ellis per se, they probably definitely don't want him in their division for the next decade.

Gideon is correct on the picks for Vilma.

people keep saying that and they are wrong I think -- we gave up a 4th this year and a conditional pick next year

The New York Jets have completed a trade that will send linebacker Jonathan Vilma to the New Orleans Saints. In return the Jets will receive a 4th round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft that could be upgrade to a 3rd round pick based on how Vilma performs in 2008. [link]

This is very amusing. There has been waaaay more chat on the presence or absence of our 4th rounder than on the actual subject of my post.

This displeases me.

:shrug:

I agree...Baltimore may be the easiest one to move up with and cost us the least if Dorsey or Ellis falls. We will definitely have to jump Cincy and you would think that Baltimore would be all for it b/c they are in the same division (assuming they feel they could still get their guy at #10). I don't think there is any way one of the DTs falls past Cincy. They are clearly trying to get a DT b/c they have been in two trades for a DT (Rogers and Robertson) that have fallen thru. But does Cincy stay at #9 or do they move up knowing that we will try to move up?

Man I can't wait for the draft...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom