The Wire season 5 (2 Viewers)

The Omar character is gay because he's based on a real-life dude that David Simon heard about.

A lot of the characters are based on real people. Stringer and Avon are based on a dude called Little Melvin, who actually plays the reverand on the show (you know, the guy who helps Bunny Colvin get medical aid in Amsterdam, who helps him get started in the school program on Season 4).

Jay Landsman, the fat dude in homicide, is actually based on Jay Landsman. The real Jay Landsman plays the cop who was Bunny Colvin's right hand man, who we saw Carver looking for advice from in Episode One the other night. That's the real life Jay Landsman (who wasn't a good enough Jay Landsman to play the role of Jay Landsman, lol).

There was a a guy named Bodie Barksdale who they used to help create the characters of Avon and Stringer as well. They also stole his name for the character Bodie Broddus, and of course, Avon & Deangelo Barksdale.

another character is Ed Norris, he is a homicide detective, he had a line in one show (the one where they had to call Bunk from the ballgame to come work a murder) he said something to the affect of 3 murders in one night, i love this city

he was the police commissioner for Baltimore and spent time in jail (6 mo) for improper dealings of city money - he plays himself by name, though only a detective not the commish - he has a radio show as well

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/cast/characters/edward_norris.shtml

Great show tonight.....the end with McNulty kind of surprised me....especially when Bunk just washed his hands of it!

so he's trying to make it look like a serial killer is out there..right? Killing white people--which would get the mayor to fork over some $$ to the police?

Was that Omar's grandma who was smothered with a pillow (to draw him out?)

Anyone notice On Demand gets them several days early? Apparently it's intentional, too.

I thought the show was good as well. Excited about seeing Avon and loved the way he handled marlo. Teacher I also thought the same thing about omar. I wondered if that was his grandma as well. I hope marlo remembers what chris said about omar coming after them just as hard.

Sardonios - I dont get why they do that but it is true. My brother always watches it like that b/c he works late and cant catch it sunday.

so he's trying to make it look like a serial killer is out there..right? Killing white people--which would get the mayor to fork over some $$ to the police?

Was that Omar's grandma who was smothered with a pillow (to draw him out?)

the big homicide sgt says it was ruled natural causes just before McNulty and bunk went out on that call.

looks like McNulty is self destructing, being a detective vs a street cop does him in.

have to like Sergie, telling Marlo i dont need you

looks like that news guy made up the story about the kid in the wheelchair - im curious to see where the media and the police connect, the serial killer angle?

I don't think that was Omar's grandmother. I don't remember her being that large.

I'm real curious to see how far this thing with Marlo and The Greek goes. Will The Greek decide to supply Marlo directly? And what will Prop Joe do?

There's an interesting parallel between the reporter making up the story on the kid in the wheelchair (I think he made it up), and McNulty making it look like there's a serial killer in Baltimore. I think both will wind up taking a fall for their actions.

And did anyone else catch Lester say that McNulty is married to Beadie now? Wow.

I don't think that was Omar's grandmother either.

During the scenes from next week's episode, though, that was Omar's bank (the blind dude) getting hit over the head by Chris.

I think Avon is playing Marlo...

Marlo is trying to bring Omar out to kill him over the raid of the poker game, Butch (the blind dude) is a good way to bring him out or mess with the dog in Butch's bar.

you maybe right about Avon, i know Avon didnt like Prop Joe as he was against stringer dealing with him -

looks like that news guy made up the story about the kid in the wheelchairhttp://www.believermag.com/issues/200708/?read=interview_simon

the newsroom storylines look to have been pulled from David Simon's experience as a reporter with the Baltimore Sun, including the fiction-writing reporter and the editors gunning for pulitzers above all else.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/bowden-wire

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200708/?read=interview_simon

Marlo is trying to bring Omar out to kill him over the raid of the poker game, Butch (the blind dude) is a good way to bring him out or mess with the dog in Butch's bar.

you maybe right about Avon, i know Avon didnt like Prop Joe as he was against stringer dealing with him -

Yeah, Omar's coming.

I guess Avon's reasoning might be that if Marlo gets the connect with Vondas, when Avon gets out of jail he will only have to take out Marlo to control all of the West Side, if not East Side as well. From that perspective, it might be in Avon's best interest to have Marlo be the undisputed king without any co-op complications.

I don't remember when Avon is supposed to be out though, so that theory might not fly.

I just can't see Avon forgetting his beef with Marlo so easily. It's a large part of why he's in jail right now.

I thought maybe Avon was setting up a hit on Marlo from inside prison, i.e. Marlo goes to meet with Vondas and gets shot. But I don't think that will happen. Maybe Avon is just loyal to West Baltimore to the extent that he will look past his war with Marlo. Maybe he feels it's all in the game.

Episode 53 is up on On Demand as of today.

*Very small bits of info below, so anyone who wants to go in knowing absolutely nothing stop here*

The storyline for this season is unpacked a lot in this one.

McNulty's plan behind tampering with the body is explained much better in this episode. They didn't really lay that out well last week.

Yeah I watched the third episode (ep 53) on On Demand earlier today.

The next episode is available the day after the new episode airs on Sunday.

I gotta say, this is shaping up to be the best season ever. I'm not going to give anything away, but there are some serious plotlines that they are laying out to finish everything off.

Yeah, Omar's coming.

I guess Avon's reasoning might be that if Marlo gets the connect with Vondas, when Avon gets out of jail he will only have to take out Marlo to control all of the West Side, if not East Side as well. From that perspective, it might be in Avon's best interest to have Marlo be the undisputed king without any co-op complications.

I don't remember when Avon is supposed to be out though, so that theory might not fly.

I just can't see Avon forgetting his beef with Marlo so easily. It's a large part of why he's in jail right now.

I thought maybe Avon was setting up a hit on Marlo from inside prison, i.e. Marlo goes to meet with Vondas and gets shot. But I don't think that will happen. Maybe Avon is just loyal to West Baltimore to the extent that he will look past his war with Marlo. Maybe he feels it's all in the game.

I don't think that they ever really said when Avon was supposed to get out, but I get the feeling that he won't really have much of a part the rest of the way out. I think it was just a good way to get him involved a little bit in the last season, but I can't see how that he could have much of an impact with not much of the show left.

I could be wrong of course, but that's just how I looked at it.

As for Marlo, I guess everyone saw this coming from a mile away. He was never able to be content on where he was at - he always needed to be one notch above. He always seemed to want to get above Prop Joe - and now he's making his move.

I can't see them letting Marlo have full reign on the city without paying the price. Everyone that has been on top has come down at one point or another, I don't see how they would let this go down any other way.

I can't wait for each episode, I really do enjoy this show even more than The Sopranos - and I loved that show.

Yeah that's a good point. I don't think that Avon is setting up Marlo either, I think he would rather punish Prop Joe.

You're right about Avon not liking Stringer working with Prop Joe, especially when Stringer had to give up some of the towers to get the good product from Joe.

Avon probably respects Marlo for what he's done, possibly even reminds him of himself.

Besides, he made him bring 100 grand to his sister. I think that was more than enough motivation to set things up with The Greek.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom