The Witcher coming to Netflix (10 Viewers)

Can’t freakin wait. They’ve got a lot of great material from both the books and the video games.

Any word on what the final date is for the release?

he's supposed to be much younger than the games

that's probably the weirdest thing about this....most people probably only know the Witcher series because they played the games, myself included...

it's really hard to look at any of these actors and see Yennifer, Ciri or Geralt

In the games he is older I believe. The games are set after the novels but
they change history so that Geralt survives

I am going to watch this... but ... Yennefer not being the witch version of Snow White, I'm ok with ... but... the eyes... how can they miss on that?

4 Nilfgaardians disliked this song. haha.

Watched the first two episodes and I really like Cavill's take on Geralt. I've only played Witcher 3 and never read any of the books so it's interesting getting some back story for the characters. It does drag a bit here and there, but that can often be the case when setting up so many story lines. The action scenes, especially at the end of episode 1, are really well done.
I also like the idea of choices and lesser evil coming up several times. Just like in the game sometimes there's no choice you make that you really feel good about.

I took in 4 episodes last night.

I have been a fan of the franchise since back in 2007 when I picked up the original Witcher game off a Best Buy shelf, because the wolf on the cover reminded me of one of my most favorite games of all time, The Beast Within, and I was intrigued by the game being a Polish product.

Aside from some arguably questionable casting (physically speaking) and Geralt's eyes not being cat's eyes, they did an excellent job in portraying the story and the characters. There are multiple details that are obvious shout outs to the CDProjekt game, from the color palettes to the sets. Cavill is fantastic as Geralt. The expressions, the voice, the demeanor, the sword play...

There are going to be some who may not appreciate the pacing of the story, and that's ok. For me, it was the pacing of the story and character development in the first game, that hooked me. It was like nothing I had played before. I don't remember who, but in talking about the original game, said that, his parents being from Eastern Europe, playing the Witcher was like being fed a spoonful of his mom's sauerkraut.

System, just me thinking out loud here but I watched several episodes of the Witcher last night and my first impression of Henry Cavill as Geralt is that the show's producers kind of molded him a little like Ragnar Lothbok from Vikings TV series, except he's more gruff, more of a lone White Wolf type character and nowhere near as charismatic as Fimmel's Ragnar. I've made it no secret how much of a fan I am of the Vikings, but Geralt has many of the same mannerisms, unorthodox behavior. The actress playing Yennefer is a British actress who's part British, part Indian, but her character, her look, demeanor reminds me of Mary Sibley from the Salem WGN-America TV series that aired for 3 seasons. Her character arc also seems very similar to Salem's Sibley character, especially since both characters are witches. But so far, she's held her own as that sexy, but perhaps emotionally unhinged sorceress who's sort of like medieval C4 explosives: they can be helpful on certain occasions in extreme situations, but because most people fear and distrust them and try to hunt them down, they go rogue and become violent, destructive, and chaotic.

If there's one thing, System, that always puzzled me about popular fantasy or sci-fi comic-book adaptations into movies or TV series is why is that men or women with abilities who have emotional/psychological issues or come from broken families there always trained to be powerful authority figures or have powerful roles? Don't they ever see the inherent danger in taking some troubled teen who has potential but a bit weird, mentally disturbed to the point where it could really present an existential problem later on.

At least in Star Wars Phantom Menace, most of the Jedi Council, including Yoda, could foresee what kind of dark, malovelent force Anakin Skywalker might turn out to be and were dead set against Obi-won Kenobi training him until Kenobi badgered him into agreeing. So, I can't say they were that reckless and stupid in the sense they were training a Jedi apprentice knight who one day will very nearly make them extinct. You don't invite the Devil into your home and all of a sudden expect he'll behave.

I took in 4 episodes last night.

I have been a fan of the franchise since back in 2007 when I picked up the original Witcher game off a Best Buy shelf, because the wolf on the cover reminded me of one of my most favorite games of all time, The Beast Within, and I was intrigued by the game being a Polish product.

Aside from some arguably questionable casting (physically speaking) and Geralt's eyes not being cat's eyes, they did an excellent job in portraying the story and the characters. There are multiple details that are obvious shout outs to the CDProjekt game, from the color palettes to the sets. Cavill is fantastic as Geralt. The expressions, the voice, the demeanor, the sword play...

There are going to be some who may not appreciate the pacing of the story, and that's ok. For me, it was the pacing of the story and character development in the first game, that hooked me. It was like nothing I had played before. I don't remember who, but in talking about the original game, said that, his parents being from Eastern Europe, playing the Witcher was like being fed a spoonful of his mom's sauerkraut.

I’m almost done with the season and am loving it.

Like you said, from a physical perspective, several casting choices took some getting used to (I REALLY warmed up to the Yenn actress though).

I really enjoyed how they tied little life/world lessons into the “monster of the week” short stories.

The pacing and timeline stuff was a bit awkward but in speaking with someone who has read all of the short stories and books (I’ve only played the games), this was about as elegant as you could expect.

Apparently most of the character/world building in the literature comes via short stories that span like 100 years, but the main story lines all take place in the “present” in only like a 2 year span.

And the novels apparently really expect you to already know about the characters from the short stories. That does sound like a difficult type of source material to make into an 8-10 episode show, but I think they ultimately did pretty well with it (once you get used to the time jumps).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom