Saints The wrong safety was let go (4 Viewers)

Hopefully the defense can continue its improvements. Its played well in burst these last two games. Now it just needs to put together a full game.

In defense of the defense, the special teams running into the kicker and an early Brees interception did it no favors. But at the same time they just gotta brush themselves off.

Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, but I can't recall a single big play from this past Monday where Marcus was to blame. It was PJ Williams.
The touchdown to Allen?

Maybe you missed that. It was embarrassing.

Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, but I can't recall a single big play from this past Monday where Marcus was to blame. It was PJ Williams.
PJ Williams is always the culprit , no idea why CSP keeps him around

Well he was the culprit in two of the three big plays. Not closing the gap on the run, and not helping PRob on the long completion on the sideline.

we can have Ed Reed and earl thomas back there and somehow they will look bad

THIS. If you're wondering why Jenkins was mediocre here then looked better in Philly to only return to look mediocre again. Or why all the talent we have in the secondary isn't translating to an improved secondary. If you can't come up with an answer, you're focusing on the wrong unit. This is a coaching and scheme issue. The obvious answer is the answer. Players playing better elsewhere. Talented players are underperforming or regressing since their rookie year. It's NOT the players. It's what they're being asked to do.

The touchdown to Allen?

Maybe you missed that. It was embarrassing.
Forgive me for interrupting, but I've just had another look at it. The play is third and seven, Allen (#13) is lined up as the no.3 receiver to the O's left, so he becomes #43's man responsibility.

As 13 breaks off his route at about the sticks, deep enough for the first down, 43 has to attack the route, to get a PBU and prevent the conversion. As he does so, the pressure the Saints are bringing should be forcing Herbert to throw about that point.

However, Herbert escapes and extends the play, #13 runs his scramble drill accordingly and breaks into an over route heading for the right sideline.

I've coached DBs, and I'm pretty direct/harsh in my assessment overall. But in this case, you can only survive in man coverage against any receiver for so long, let alone their best receiver. 43 reads the most likely route, moves to collide the play and then is left in a foot race he can't win as Herbert makes the excellent play.

This isn't embarrassing play by a defender. This is excellent play by the opposition QB. I'd be telling my DB that it's not his fault if the pressure can't hit home in that situation.

But I'm just expressing an opinion.

Forgive me for interrupting, but I've just had another look at it. The play is third and seven, Allen (#13) is lined up as the no.3 receiver to the O's left, so he becomes #43's man responsibility.

As 13 breaks off his route at about the sticks, deep enough for the first down, 43 has to attack the route, to get a PBU and prevent the conversion. As he does so, the pressure the Saints are bringing should be forcing Herbert to throw about that point.

However, Herbert escapes and extends the play, #13 runs his scramble drill accordingly and breaks into an over route heading for the right sideline.

I've coached DBs, and I'm pretty direct/harsh in my assessment overall. But in this case, you can only survive in man coverage against any receiver for so long, let alone their best receiver. 43 reads the most likely route, moves to collide the play and then is left in a foot race he can't win as Herbert makes the excellent play.

This isn't embarrassing play by a defender. This is excellent play by the opposition QB. I'd be telling my DB that it's not his fault if the pressure can't hit home in that situation.

I would call that embarrassing as much as Lattimore getting high pointed by Mike Williams is embarrassing. To me, it's not. I've seen DBs be completely out of position enough to realize that being on your guy but not able to make a play is not a failure. You just hope occasionally they can make a play. He hasn't as much lately this year but normally he does.

Yeah
I would call that embarrassing as much as Lattimore getting high pointed by Mike Williams is embarrassing. To me, it's not. I've seen DBs be completely out of position enough to realize that being on your guy but not able to make a play is not a failure. You just hope occasionally they can make a play. He hasn't as much lately this year but normally he does.
Yeah, sometimes people need to acknowledge that the elite sportsmen on the other team make a play too.

Exactly.

This is the NFL. Thinking we are going to march out there and hold teams to 13 points every week is crazy. Especially this year. Has anyone watched any other games? Defenses around the league are playing terribly.

If we are at least scoring on some of those short fields...Hell lets just say we score on 2 of those short fields, that takes a TD away potentially and makes the final score: 44-20

Having a proficient offense that shows up before the 2nd half can do wonders for you.

I'd say everyone in the secondary has been underperforming this year, but if I was to be concerned about any particular player in their role it would PJ. I'd say his deep safety experiment hasn't gone well. I had doubts about his range to be a deep safety but can only really trust the coaches on that. I think he at least needs to be making good decisions to protect himself. He isn't a 100% snap guy but I've seen him with the most glaring gaps to his responsibilities when 2 deep.

This is just what pops up on the screen as a gameday watcher so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom