Saints The wrong safety was let go (2 Viewers)

The choice was never Marcus Williams vs Vonn Bell. Bell was a free agent and Williams is still under contract.

The choice was Jenkins vs Bell, and I'm not sure we made the right choice. I assume Jenkins' ability to play both safety positions was part of the reasoning behind it, since we don't know for sure if Marcus Williams will be on the team next year.

Exactly.

This is the NFL. Thinking we are going to march out there and hold teams to 13 points every week is crazy. Especially this year. Has anyone watched any other games? Defenses around the league are playing terribly.

If we are at least scoring on some of those short fields...Hell lets just say we score on 2 of those short fields, that takes a TD away potentially and makes the final score: 44-20

Having a proficient offense that shows up before the 2nd half can do wonders for you.

Amen! I couldn't believe all the amazing field position we had in the first half just to come away with no points over and over again. People just want to blame the defense though, it's infuriating.

Also remember that the Saints offered Von Bell a nice contract and he said no (actually he said I want more) so it’s his fault not the Saints. It’s not that we got rid of him. In addition Williams is still under contract but if he tries to hold us up he’ll be gone too. The premise of the OP is not reality. We didn’t get rid of Bell and we still have Williams on his rookie contract. It is what it is.

Jets are not going anywhere and they run our style of defense. FS Bradley McDougal might be available for a reasonable price.

Malcolm has been fine. In 6 games he came closer to an INT breaking on a ball than Vonn ever did. He needs to settle into the scheme a bit more b4 the plays come. I have no problem with him being blitzed a lot because he was productive in that role with the Eagles.

Vonn and Chauncey Gardner were the exact same player. Jenkins brings more size/length and exprience while costing you some athleticism and youth.

Also remember that the Saints offered Von Bell a nice contract and he said no (actually he said I want more) so it’s his fault not the Saints. It’s not that we got rid of him. In addition Williams is still under contract but if he tries to hold us up he’ll be gone too. The premise of the OP is not reality. We didn’t get rid of Bell and we still have Williams on his rookie contract. It is what it is.

Your logic is not welcomed here, this forum is only for illogical emotional venting about players who fail to impress on an individual bases.

I don’t think M. Jenkins is worth 2M/yr and 13.25M guaranteed more than Bell. That money could have gone to a Ramczyk future contract.

Vonn Bell - 3yr for 18M with 3M guaranteed or 6M/yr
Malcolm Jenkins - 4yr for 32M with 16.25M guaranteed or 8M/yr

You are right. I guess the issue with Bell and Ingram is we are not willing to potentially leave holes at the expense of waiting on a player hoping to maximize their earnings. Looks like Bell cost himself money waiting on a big payday.

INTs don’t tell you the story with Marcus. He’s always late. Never playing the ball. Attaching the WR and not the ball, draws flags.

He has two less tackles than Bell and more passes defended not to mention the INT. How is he always late if he's defending passes better?

Payton knows when it's time to let players go. Graham, Bush, Cooks, Bell etc etc. I trust him that Bell was done here until I see otherwise.

Please feel free to correct me if im wrong, but I can't recall a single big play from this past Monday where Marcus was to blame. It was PJ Williams.
Not playing the ball on the TD to Allen and taking a poor angle in his initial pursuit of Justin Jackson on his long run.

Well here i sit wondering why we let Von Bell walk when clearly he was the better of the two I think him and Malcom Jenkins would have been a better duo .

I think several in here didn't like the idea of Bell leaving. But wasn't it a money thing?

THIS. If you're wondering why Jenkins was mediocre here then looked better in Philly to only return to look mediocre again. Or why all the talent we have in the secondary isn't translating to an improved secondary. If you can't come up with an answer, you're focusing on the wrong unit. This is a coaching and scheme issue. The obvious answer is the answer. Players playing better elsewhere. Talented players are underperforming or regressing since their rookie year. It's NOT the players. It's what they're being asked to do.
Its just the opposite of the situation on the other side of the ball where you have receivers the likes of Jimmy Graham, Robert Meachem, Lance Moore, etc, who flourish here and flop elsewhere.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom