The young corners (1 Viewer)

I know a lot of people are really excited about these young corners we have on the roster. PJ Williams, De'Vante Harris, Ken Crawley, Damian Swann, etc. They seem to be some talented youngers.

But when I watch these guys, hear about these guys, I can't help but feel like this is sort of the issue with this team. They can be as talented as can be, I would be saying this whether they were first rounders or undrafted free agents, but with this team that clearly has aspirations of reaching the playoffs once again, why are we going into the season relying on these guys, who aside from Swann, have no NFL experience?

To me, that is playing with fire. Players this young, at pretty much every position, are going to experience ups and downs. They're going to make mistakes that young players make. Yet the Saints, a team that wants to reach the playoffs, seem to expect them to be instant contributors for this club.

They, to me, are a perfect image of this entire team. Lots of guys that are probably one (or maybe two, in some cases) spot to high on the depth chart. Not only do I think this team lacks contributors, but they seem to really be short depth wise in some positions. I take Brandon Coleman for example, on how many teams does he have the role he has on this team?

The Patriots and Texans both have WRs they targeted mostly during their practices and games. The young corners held up.

Worry when they give up multiple TDs playing a team they haven't practiced against and isn't working on their offenses weaknesses

This is exactly what I'm saying. You don't really think these guys will be a positive do you? Sure, they'll see some success, but there will be a learning curve for them. Their rookies, undrafted rookies in two of their cases, people are expecting way to much from them, overhyping them. Once we get into the regular season, when real game planning takes place, teams are going to attack them, and the most likely outcome will be a lot of success throwing at them.

People are already doing that now. So what exactly do we have to lose?

For years we've been complaining about not having a group of solid young corners. Now we appear to have them and then this thread.

Last year we had the best group in years, according to the board gurus, due to the presence of Champ Bailey and Keenan Lewis. Bailey was promptly cut, Byrd flamed out, and Lewis was ineffective. This year, we were looking for the best group in years due to Breaux and Lewis. Lewis was cut, we have signed Cortland Finnegan, and the gurus think this group of UFDA's and bad free agent signings are the Seahawks/Broncos reborn. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years these signings will bear fruit but the board masterminds are really setting themselves up for a big letdown this season.

Last year we had the best group in years, according to the board gurus, due to the presence of Champ Bailey and Keenan Lewis. Bailey was promptly cut, Byrd flamed out, and Lewis was ineffective. This year, we were looking for the best group in years due to Breaux and Lewis. Lewis was cut, we have signed Cortland Finnegan, and the gurus think this group of UFDA's and bad free agent signings are the Seahawks/Broncos reborn. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years these signings will bear fruit but the board masterminds are really setting themselves up for a big letdown this season.

Meh, Finnegan wont make the the team. The fact that we did release Lewis and Swann is 5th on the depth chart should speak volumes.

Yeah, we're young. Give me young, hungry players with talent over washed up players on their way out any day.

I'm just happy we don't have Browner. That guy was the worst corner in Saints history. I was actually impressed that a guy could come in here and in one season make Jason Craft look like a good corner, that's really hard to do.

If Lewis would have been healthy we would have been set at corner. Well he wasn't, did the saints front office know he wouldn't be able to play at some point in the off-season? We will never know the answer to that question.

I see a lot of posts that we are in cap hell so we are forced to rely on young guys. Yes that is true, but that was not the case with the two starting corners. Before the release of Lewis we had two quality starting CBs on this team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yeah Let's just forget about PJ Williams and Swann so your point will make sense. :idunno:

Also, bailey was here before 2014 season, not last season.

Last we were all excited about Breaux and he delivered, so not always we are let down by our expectations .

I know a lot of people are really excited about these young corners we have on the roster. PJ Williams, De'Vante Harris, Ken Crawley, Damian Swann, etc. They seem to be some talented youngers.

But when I watch these guys, hear about these guys, I can't help but feel like this is sort of the issue with this team. They can be as talented as can be, I would be saying this whether they were first rounders or undrafted free agents, but with this team that clearly has aspirations of reaching the playoffs once again, why are we going into the season relying on these guys, who aside from Swann, have no NFL experience?

To me, that is playing with fire. Players this young, at pretty much every position, are going to experience ups and downs. They're going to make mistakes that young players make. Yet the Saints, a team that wants to reach the playoffs, seem to expect them to be instant contributors for this club.

They, to me, are a perfect image of this entire team. Lots of guys that are probably one (or maybe two, in some cases) spot to high on the depth chart. Not only do I think this team lacks contributors, but they seem to really be short depth wise in some positions. I take Brandon Coleman for example, on how many teams does he have the role he has on this team?

Courtland Finnegan is a proven veteran that we signed last week. Question is with so many good young corners currently on this 90 man roster, who is the cut candidate ?

I mean I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but why does anyone think this passing defense is going to be anything but bad again? The young guys we will be relying on at corner aren't going to take the league by storm. Like people have mentioned in this thread, we are relying on these guys because of past mistakes, not because they are great talents and have earned the snaps.

and I hope I'm wrong, I really really do, but I'd be shocked if we weren't once again one of the worse passing defenses in the NFL. Maybe not historically bad, but I don't think this is suddenly going to turn into an average pass defense.

Everybody doesn't need to be great or world beaters. You'll see a good mix of cover2 and cover3 shell. Safeties factor in. Vacarro factors into what will make up pass coverage. Lets look at it after the 1st qrtr week4.....CANT WAIT!!!! :9:

Meh, Finnegan wont make the the team. The fact that we did release Lewis and Swann is 5th on the depth chart should speak volumes.

Yeah, we're young. Give me young, hungry players with talent over washed up players on their way out any day.

I'm just happy we don't have Browner. That guy was the worst corner in Saints history. I was actually impressed that a guy could come in here and in one season make Jason Craft look like a good corner, that's really hard to do.

He shouldn't but he could. Depends on how comfy we are with Devante Harris progression. If we think he could give us legit snaps in the slot competing with Swann then it makes no sense to keep Finnegan.

I see us keeping 6 for now.. That could change by week 4.

Breaux,Williams,Swann,Harris,Crawley is a good 5 but Finnegan serving as a buffer from asking a first year UDFA to play in the slot if he's not ready wouldn't b a bad thing

His 50k signing bonus suggest he's more than a camp body

We've come a long way from this

CourteousUnnaturalGar.gif

He shouldn't but he could. Depends on how comfy we are with Devante Harris progression. If we think he could give us legit snaps in the slot competing with Swann then it makes no sense to keep Finnegan.

I see us keeping 6 for now.. That could change by week 4.

Breaux,Williams,Swann,Harris,Crawley is a good 5 but Finnegan serving as a buffer from asking a first year UDFA to play in the slot if he's not ready wouldn't b a bad thing

His 50k signing bonus suggest he's more than a camp body

Dennis Allen's comfort level with Vonn Bell's purported coverage skills and Vaccaro seeing some snaps in the "star" slot position could factor into the number of corners they decide to keep as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom