The young corners (1 Viewer)

PJ Williams looks like the real deal, I think he's gonna ball out. Crawley looked like he wasn't quite NFL ready.

Why do you think that about Crawley? I think he did pretty well for a #4 or #5 CB. He gave up some passes but also had some pbus and that almost into he had was a great play by him. He may not have catched the ball but it was not like the ball fell in his hands. He created that chance for himself and I think that alone is impressive for a young guy.

I think you're going to see what you saw last night...

1. PJ Williams got burned for a touchdown.
2. PJ Williams learned from his mistake and intercepted it the next time they tried that.

They're going to make mistakes, but these guys can play and they're going to develop. I'm just hoping that they learn from their mistakes quickly.

I wouldn't say he got burned on that TD. The coverage wasn't that bad it was a just a well thrown ball.

Why do you think that about Crawley? I think he did pretty well for a #4 or #5 CB. He gave up some passes but also had some pbus and that almost into he had was a great play by him. He may not have catched the ball but it was not like the ball fell in his hands. He created that chance for himself and I think that alone is impressive for a young guy.

I didn't see the whole game but I remember a play where Crawley gave up too much of a cushion and then hesitated to break when the receiver ran a come back route for a long completion. It looked like he just wasn't quite sure what to do on that route, probably because of lack of experience. But for a #5 CB that's not too big of an issue I guess.

I know a lot of people are really excited about these young corners we have on the roster. PJ Williams, De'Vante Harris, Ken Crawley, Damian Swann, etc. They seem to be some talented youngers.

Loomis is great, but he's not magic. He can't steal great corners from other teams, or come up with gobs of cap money to pay them.

All teams have the same problem. There's not a team in the NFL that doesn't want to upgrade 1 or 2 of their DB positions.

I know a lot of people are really excited about these young corners we have on the roster. PJ Williams, De'Vante Harris, Ken Crawley, Damian Swann, etc. They seem to be some talented youngers.

But when I watch these guys, hear about these guys, I can't help but feel like this is sort of the issue with this team. They can be as talented as can be, I would be saying this whether they were first rounders or undrafted free agents, but with this team that clearly has aspirations of reaching the playoffs once again, why are we going into the season relying on these guys, who aside from Swann, have no NFL experience?

To me, that is playing with fire. Players this young, at pretty much every position, are going to experience ups and downs. They're going to make mistakes that young players make. Yet the Saints, a team that wants to reach the playoffs, seem to expect them to be instant contributors for this club.

They, to me, are a perfect image of this entire team. Lots of guys that are probably one (or maybe two, in some cases) spot to high on the depth chart. Not only do I think this team lacks contributors, but they seem to really be short depth wise in some positions. I take Brandon Coleman for example, on how many teams does he have the role he has on this team?

You have to play them with little to no experience that's the only way they will get experience doesn't matter if its by choice they start or injury. Can't afford to keep the same vets on the team and expect to become faster and more athletic.

Came into thread wanting to agree with excitement about our great young corners, a position we've struggled to fill since the second year of the Haslett era. Found cynicism and negativity. Oh well.

Came into thread wanting to agree with excitement about our great young corners, a position we've struggled to fill since the second year of the Haslett era. Found cynicism and negativity. Oh well.

You pretty much prove my point. Great young corners? The expectation has FAR exceeded the reality.

Desmond Trufant is a great young corner. Jason Verrett is a great young corner. The word great may be thrown around even a little to much for those two guys. This team does not have great young corners.

I mean I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but why does anyone think this passing defense is going to be anything but bad again? The young guys we will be relying on at corner aren't going to take the league by storm. Like people have mentioned in this thread, we are relying on these guys because of past mistakes, not because they are great talents and have earned the snaps.

and I hope I'm wrong, I really really do, but I'd be shocked if we weren't once again one of the worse passing defenses in the NFL. Maybe not historically bad, but I don't think this is suddenly going to turn into an average pass defense.

You pretty much prove my point. Great young corners? The expectation has FAR exceeded the reality.

"great" OK, overstated maybe, but Breaux was very very good last year and PJW looks like his equal if not better right now. I saw those guys take turns shutting down De'Andre Hopkins, one of the elite WR's in the league. Would you not agree that this looks like the best CB situation we've had in some time?

Desmond Trufant is a great young corner. Jason Verrett is a great young corner. The word great may be thrown around even a little to much for those two guys. This team does not have great young corners.

The scheme fits the player's Allen is not asking these guys to be multifaceted in more than one scheme , Allen put together a 4-3 defense that plays sound scheme wise in man or press these young players are talented enough and familiar enough with this scheme to play their position with freedom because it's a sound scheme with each level having a specific skillset that allows them to make an impact...the defense line and linebacking unit has changed as well....this is a defense built with a purpose nevermind the youth at certain positions.

For years we've been complaining about not having a group of solid young corners. Now we appear to have them and then this thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom