The Young Pope (1 Viewer)

antipop

Phone's ringin', dude
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
anyone else watching this show??

another good one from HBO

I started to and was intrigued, but kept getting interrupted by the wife saying how disgusting it was. This from the same woman who likes Game of Thrones.

I'll have to watch it by myself as I do with most things I like to watch.

The pacing of the show is really interesting as is the sense that something weird is going on but they never show it. The show seems to be moving slow and it seems like not much is happening, but I can't take my eyes off of it. The cinematography and editing are top notch.

If nothing else, it's one of the most beautiful-looking things I've ever seen on TV: highly creative use of set design, costume, lighting, sound, crowds, kangaroos. I found the director's Oscar-winning movie The Great Beauty a slog, but this is more consistently entertaining.

As for the plot, it starts out as if it will be a black-comedy campfest, but then seems to get more contemplative and even a little serious. Not sure how the last week's shows will move the story along, but since they've announced a second season I guess we can assume Lenny will still be Pope.

My son and I have watched steadily, my wife was bored and checked out quickly. And the show has taken on additional weight with its modest parallels to changes here, and perhaps even more so because of the assorted reports about current real-world Vatican intrigue and our administration's possible involvement therein.

This is the best one word post I have seen in a very long time. Nicely done.

I have to admit, I checked out early too, but HBO has a way of continually showing an episode as to ensure that you end up watching it anyway. It has gotten better in my opinion. It's not heading to where I thought it was heading, so that's good. I think I will actively watch now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom