Theory on NFL officiating (1 Viewer)

Did the refs just decide themselves to quit calling all the pass interference and defensive holding calls about mid way last season ? It's coming from New York and will suddenly "get better" when they have cemented the position of the teams they want to contend according to script.
It's as plain as the nose on your face season after season

Even in the seventies my dad said they control the game through officiating...

Officiating is in place to control the game. That is its exact purpose. The problem is that the evolution of the game and players, the abundance of cameras and media coverage, an ever expanding and complicated set of rules is exposing officiating, as we know it, as a flawed and inadequate system, rife with human error and vulnerable to bias.

Now if you mean officiating is in place to deliver predetermined outcomes, we disagree.

Officiating is in place to control the game

Let me rephrase it for you....

"control the outcome of the game..."

Now if you mean officiating is in place to deliver predetermined outcomes, we disagree.

You can believe what you want....

But like I said, follow the money...

and Roger Goodell is all about the money... Goes back to Bountygate and the CTE lawsuits...

Last edited:
Image result for never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence

I just find it hard to believe that a ref would actively put himself at risk of downgrade just to thumb his nose at the NFL. They are replaceable. But I like the fact that you are looking at other options than "they just hate us"
Stupidity, they never used that one. The popular one was blindness bang bang to fast. And yet the very next reg season game bill v calls,the call gets made. What changed.glasses,quicksand it certainly wasn't a Einstein brain transplant. That's right it was the teams.

Let me rephrase it for you....

"control the outcome of the game..."

You can believe what you want....

But like I said, follow the money...

and Roger Goodell is all about the money... Goes back to Bountygate and the CTE lawsuits...

People say stuff like this but it’s never more defined than vague speculation.

Nobody is arguing that the NFL doesn’t exist to make money, but why do you think that relies on rigging games? The popular one now is helping incubate the LA market. Ok, why didn’t the league just rig it so the Rams won the Super Bowl? What advantage was there to the money scheme to have the Patriots win yet another?

Officiating is in place to control the game. That is its exact purpose. The problem is that the evolution of the game and players, the abundance of cameras and media coverage, an ever expanding and complicated set of rules is exposing officiating, as we know it, as a flawed and inadequate system, rife with human error and vulnerable to bias.

I think it depends. I think where officials are vulnerable isn't necessarily outcome of games, but betting lines and fantasy points. There have been cases of point shaving across multiple sports throughout history, and the NFL and related betting businesses is a multi-billion dollar industry.

There's a great read on how the NBA official who admitted to deliberately making calls that affected the final scores. Not necessarily flipping outcomes intentionally, but getting scores within margins necessary to cover betting lines.

I think the NFL officials can, and probably have been bought before. It's something that's very difficult to catch and prove.

An example, on MNF last night, the TE for the Browns, Njoku was hit low while he was in the air trying to catch a ball, and landed head first into the turf. Everyone, including the officials saw this. Yet, no penalty was called for defenseless receiver when this was by definition that. I've seen it called before for less.

Another example was on a catch OBJ made where one defender had him wrapped up and another one hit him in the chest while he was exposed and couldn't protect himself.

We also had Cook getting hit in the head and neck area when he was trying to make a catch and turned into an interception. No call, although that would have been a bit closer call.

At some point, people have to ask whether the games are being impartially officiated. I think we're past that point. I'm sure others are not ready to go that far, and I can understand that, but it's just impossible for me to ignore at this point.

I would hope everybody understands that officials (coaches, players) *can* be bought off.

I would hope everybody understands that officials (coaches, players) *can* be bought off.

Without a doubt. Anyone can. The question is, who's being bought off and why. In most cases, we'll never know unfortunately.

The whistle that cost cam jordan a touchdown was an old goof... the inadvertent whistle. That alone was probably enough to cost us any chance we had in that game. But it didnt start or stop there.

Notice every good play we made from that point on was called back for a penalty. The refs effectively kept us far behind the chains. You can simply wipe that away by saying we played sloppy... but that's just a little too convenient for me.

Like saying the only way we could make a play is with holding on the opposite side of the play? Every one? Nah.

Without a doubt. Anyone can. The question is, who's being bought off and why. In most cases, we'll never know unfortunately.

When you’re assessing the flaws in a group such as NFL officials, there can be multiple reasons creating problems. So it can be the complexity of the game, bias, human error, speed and physicality, increased scrutiny, ethics, and so on.

Silverbullet gave a specific example of a system that could improve the way games are officiated. Whatever the solution, it needs to be something that sufficiently works to mitigate any of the problematic influences.

Primarily I’m pushing back against the ideas of:

-they hate us
-there is a centrally directed system in place to rig the outcome of games

The whistle that cost cam jordan a touchdown was an old goof... the inadvertent whistle. That alone was probably enough to cost us any chance we had in that game. But it didnt start or stop there.

Notice every good play we made from that point on was called back for a penalty. The refs effectively kept us far behind the chains. You can simply wipe that away by saying we played sloppy... but that's just a little too convenient for me.

Like saying the only way we could make a play is with holding on the opposite side of the play? Every one? Nah.

Notice how this only happened once Drew was out of the game?

I don't think the games are rigged, I think they are influenced.

Don't want the games to be influenced? Then win convincingly.
Even against the Texans we should have been blowing them out, instead we turned the ball over in the redzone and couldn't score a TD until the 2nd half.

Our offense has been out of sorts since the end of last year and I was hoping the Rams game was the turning point. We were moving the ball well, then we turn it over and then Drew gets hurt. Now we'll never know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom