Theory on NFL officiating (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I know a lot of fans are still livid over not just the blown call, but the three games in a row of blown calls and the officials being awful in just about every NFL game I've watched this season, I feel like something is afoot.

I've been watching football for as long as I can remember, and I've seen a lot of bad officiating over the years, but this season it's really been taken to a new level.

I have a theory as to why we are seeing this. I am starting to think that the officials are retaliating against the perceived slight because the NFL changed the rules to add pass interference to the list of situations subject to instant replay. It's basically a "screw you!" to the NFL for the finger wagging as a result of the NFCCG.

This also extends to the Saints because or the dumb lawsuit and the officials being the target of Saints fans. Basically, trust between fans and officiating is no longer possible.

The NFL and officials' association have been at odds in the past because of bitter collective bargaining discussions and the whole full-time vs part-time debate. I think those issues have simmered beneath the surface for a long time now, and it's starting to show in the games.

I'm seeing very inconsistent calls with roughing penalties and shots to the head and neck area. It varies wildly from game to game. Defenseless receivers isn't getting called very much. Holding is still wildly ambiguous and subjective. Calls like OBJ getting taken out after a circus catch and then not getting a chance to finish the possession when the team had first and goal. It just goes on and on.

Of course, something we've all noticed, but not getting any media attention are the other missed calls that are overshadowed by the 2 biggest blown calls. It has made the game frustrating to watch. I can live with losing. What I can't live with are poorly officiated games.

I've never been a conspiracy theorist before, but it's getting impossible to ignore what's clearly happening around the league.

I don't think there is a hidden agenda...I just think it is incompetence. And unfortunately when there is no accountability or repercussions for incompetence it will just continue to get worse. Cut off the head....

It's a bloated rule book.

Officiating has always been bad imo. There's more of a spotlight on it now though for three reasons:

1. A million camera angles show everything - there's no way to hide a bad call anymore
2. The over-emphasis on player safety. Refs in the past didn't have to worry about defenseless receivers, rarely called roughing the QB, crack back blocks, etc. Head hunting was encouraged.
3. Rules changes geared toward the offense. Everything is pass interference these days and it's just really hard to call live.

The days of on field officials needs to end. There should be one ref to basically put the ball down in the proper spot. Other than that, maybe two others just to break up scuffles or something.

Everything should be controlled remotely via a panel of refs focused on one area of the field. The line, the sideline, etc. Have 5 independent refs watching the same thing. If only 1 ref out of 5 clicks the "holding" button, no penalty. You need 3 out of 5. Same for roughing, etc.

On a review, majority rules.

Yeah I think it's disgusting how incompetent, arguably stupid the officiating has been just 2 weeks into the season. The inconsistency is going to be a bone of contention all season if something isn't done.

Then again, I don't really expect that anything will be done. What a farce

Image result for never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence

I just find it hard to believe that a ref would actively put himself at risk of downgrade just to thumb his nose at the NFL. They are replaceable. But I like the fact that you are looking at other options than "they just hate us"

I suppose they are. But if that's the case, why haven't any of the officials making these bad calls been disciplined or fired? If they're really replaceable, I'm not seeing evidence of it.

I suppose they are. But if that's the case, why haven't any of the officials making these bad calls been disciplined or fired? If they're really replaceable, I'm not seeing evidence of it.

dunno. It is worth keeping an eye on. I have read that they are evaluated by an third party. But we know how that can go.

One thing I always keep in mind is that the NFLs primary concern is its bottom line. Possibly its only concern. If they have it set that these guys are not replaceable, then they give them the power to hurt their bottom line badly.

I don't think there is a hidden agenda...I just think it is incompetence. And unfortunately when there is no accountability or repercussions for incompetence it will just continue to get worse. Cut off the head....
UFC, you got it right my friend. These guys are part time officials with other mostly substantial careers who are just overall incompetant and unwilling to self police themselves. The NFL also seems to care less about holding any of these guys accountable. I bet things would change significantly if these guys making these obvious and game changing often calls would get suspended or fired. Unfortunately I don't see that happening and we can look forward to more atrocious calls.

Image result for never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence

I just find it hard to believe that a ref would actively put himself at risk of downgrade just to thumb his nose at the NFL. They are replaceable. But I like the fact that you are looking at other options than "they just hate us"
I believe that some refs are being paid off. If it happened in the NBA and in college basketball with players cheating, I see no reason why the same is not true for NFL refs. There have always been bad calls since I can remember, but the ones now are at opportune times affecting outcomes and blatantly obvious.

I believe that some refs are being paid off. If it happened in the NBA and in college basketball with players cheating, I see no reason why the same is not true for NFL refs. There have always been bad calls since I can remember, but the ones now are at opportune times affecting outcomes and blatantly obvious.

well there is no denying that this is a possibility. Where there as money as big as the gambling industry there is both agenda and a history of trying at least.

I'm not sure I'd call subjectively removing OBJ from the game for a visor violation is incompetence. I'm not convinced the blown calls in the three games in a row is incompetence. At some point you have to call a spade a spade and say it's deliberate.

I don't know the reasons, but there's a crap ton of money involved in the NFL and the temptation to use calls to manipulate outcomes is great. It's happened in the NBA, and I have no doubt it happens in the NFL. I think it's a matter of time before someone gets caught red handed.

It's a bloated rule book.

Officiating has always been bad imo. There's more of a spotlight on it now though for three reasons:

1. A million camera angles show everything - there's no way to hide a bad call anymore
2. The over-emphasis on player safety. Refs in the past didn't have to worry about defenseless receivers, rarely called roughing the QB, crack back blocks, etc. Head hunting was encouraged.
3. Rules changes geared toward the offense. Everything is pass interference these days and it's just really hard to call live.

The days of on field officials needs to end. There should be one ref to basically put the ball down in the proper spot. Other than that, maybe two others just to break up scuffles or something.

Everything should be controlled remotely via a panel of refs focused on one area of the field. The line, the sideline, etc. Have 5 independent refs watching the same thing. If only 1 ref out of 5 clicks the "holding" button, no penalty. You need 3 out of 5. Same for roughing, etc.

On a review, majority rules.

I think you are correct. But I’m going with they just hate us.

Follow the money....

It's been proven twice that the people of LA don't care about football...

Goodell got his wish and put, not one, two teams there now with the NFL financing their new multi-billion dollar stadium. They can't sell out the Coliseum or even a 30,000 seat soccer stadium. They need ***es in the seats...

Even in the seventies my dad said they control the game through officiating...

Last edited:
To me it’s pretty effin obvious that they were trolling us for being the “culprits” that unwillingly exposed their incompetence (or worse) in january.
After the helmet rip-off they did nothing, I think they don’t even discussed it. If you see a helmet flying, far from where the ball is being played, there MUST be some foul. But they didn’t care.
It seems like an act of retaliation, you know, “let’s be clear about who’s the boss here”. Total abuse of power.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom