There’s a chance the NFC South could be decided before Saints/Falcons meet - ESPN article (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Next three games could tell Atlanta's story
Posted by ESPN.com’s Pat Yasinskas
October 9, 2009

It’s tempting to look ahead at the Nov. 2 game between the Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints and call it the first truly meaningful NFC South game of the season.

It also could end up being inaccurate. There’s a chance the NFC South could be decided by then.

Look at what’s on the table between now and November. We’re about to find out if we’re watching a two-team race or one team lap the pack in a division where things usually go right down to the wire.

But this is shaping up to be a unique year in the NFC South. Barring near miracles by the Panthers and Buccaneers, you can go ahead and write them off now. John Fox’s team seems to be falling apart faster than you can say Bill Cowher, and Raheem Morris’ team never had a chance.

Now flip to the other end of the spectrum. You’ve got the Saints. They’re 4-0 heading into their bye weekend and they couldn’t be sitting any prettier. All those questions about their defense have been answered so thoroughly that the faithful in New Orleans are actually fretting about Drew Brees and the passing game after a couple of relatively quiet outings.

Relax, Brees and the passing game will be just fine.

The Saints can claim the early title as the NFC’s best team next week with a victory against the Giants, and they’ve got a trip to Miami after that. They’ve also got two games against Carolina and two against Tampa Bay. Throw in games with St. Louis and Washington and I’m going to go ahead and pencil the Saints in for double-digit wins.

Who’s going to catch them?

The only team with a shot is Atlanta and we really don’t know yet what the Falcons are all about. We’re about to find out, however. In the next three weeks, we’re going to find out if the Falcons were a one-year wonder or if they really have a shot at back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in franchise history and a chance to play with the Saints.

Coming off their bye, the Falcons are 2-1 and they head to San Francisco on Sunday. They host Chicago the following week and go to Dallas on Oct. 25.

They need to win at least two of those to even have a shot at staying close to the Saints...
More...
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/3682/next-three-games-could-tell-story-of-atlantas-season

dont eat the cheese

Too late...

262085947_2f2fae721b.jpg

Most of the national pundits, so-called experts, and otherwise "know-it-alls" (Peter King comes to mind) were a little premature in crowning the Falclowns the class of the division, don't you think??

Since they're crowning us now, let's hope they aren't premature twice.

Man, just when I thought I couldn't dislike Falcons fans any more I had to go and read the comments on that page... They really think they're something special, I would go as far as "short-yellow-bus" special, but that's as far as Atlanta goes. I really hope the 49ers beat up on them real good, and just implode after that taking them to a 7-9 season filled with mediocrity. They have one, ONE good year under a rookie QB and they're now crowning themselves. I want to beat them in the Superdome, but I would love to humiliate them in the GA Dome like 62-2 (intentional safety again).

Just my 2 cents :ezbill:

Micheal "the burner" Turner looks slow and doesnt seem to have that burst he had last year. You would think with Tony G, Turner would do better because he faces less 8 men in the box. But not so. The Patriots really bracketed Gonzo, and Turner couldn't capitalize. And it looks like Roddy White got some money and stopped playing hard. Reggie has more yards than White, and just as many TD's. I think Ryan is an excellent young QB, but I think his team "ate the cheese". Time for the same ole falclowns to peform their disappearing / reappearing act. And I love it. All the cards alligned for us in 2006, and it looks to be happening again. Only this time, we don't need that pecuilar bounce of the ball. We have balnance with both rushing and passing, offense and defense. And a pretty good punter to top it off. We arent just catching breaks, we are finding numerous ways to dominate, as the really good teams do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom