Saints There’s got to be more to the story of Latavius Murray... right? (1 Viewer)

The biggest knock on Sean Payton is the way he fails to embrace anything that resembles a traditional running game. Bill Parcels said it over a decade ago.

At this point, it is who he is. And I don’t see it changing.
I'm afraid this is most likely the truth.

Derrick Henry: 6'3" 247 lbs.

Latavius Murray: 6'3" 230 lbs.

Pretty damn close and Murray doesn't take nearly as much time to get from 0-60.

I didn't realize that they were so close in measurables. In 2017-2018 we used the run game perfectly and had so many long drives that really played a huge part in victories. I wonder why Payton swayed away from a plan that was working so well with Ingram and Kamara. I thought we brought Murray in to solve our third down problems because nine times out of ten Murray picks up the 3rd and 1 because those outside runs to Kamara really didn't work as well as they had in the past.

I didn't realize that they were so close in measurables. In 2017-2018 we used the run game perfectly and had so many long drives that really played a huge part in victories. I wonder why Payton swayed away from a plan that was working so well with Ingram and Kamara. I thought we brought Murray in to solve our third down problems because nine times out of ten Murray picks up the 3rd and 1 because those outside runs to Kamara really didn't work as well as they had in the past.
I'm just as dumbfounded as you and have been trying to understand it all year. Murray's averaging 9.9 ypc, lets give him 7 touches. Makes sense, right?

I'm just as dumbfounded as you and have been trying to understand it all year. Murray's averaging 9.9 ypc, lets give him 7 touches. Makes sense, right?

It makes total sense and for the life of me I also tried to understand it all year. I thought after it worked so well with Teddy we were on our way to having a really effective running game and not missing a beat with Ingram gone. I was repeating myself during games just sayin don't use Kamara it's not working and it was very confusing.

I think its simple narcassism, CSP isn't seen as the Guru of all gurus if he wins with a Pound the ball runningback. We did it one year at Buffalo, but I don't he could refuse, cause the holes were giant gaps. It's about the legacy, after Drew and CSP are gone they want to see them passing the ball all over the field.

Just my 2 cents.

He flashed his ability right from the start... Opening game, he broke off a 30+ yard TD run vs the Texans to get the Saints going.
He took a back seat to Kamara in the ensuing weeks, while Kamara was Kamara, but then Kamara got the ankle/knee issue...
Murray gets his shot as the lead RB, and he proceeds to be a workhorse... gaining 100+ yards rushing while in the lead role. He also shows that he is a very reliable pass-catching option as well. I ate crow and jumped on the “Tay-Train”.
Alvin Kamara gets “healthy” and Murray effectively disappears for the remainder of the season. He does well with the scraps he gets thrown, but he only gets around 5 touches per game.

There has to be more to the story right? Why would the RB that was brought in to fill the role of Mark Ingram... then fills it with flying colors... be banished to “spot duty” down the stretch?!?

What the heck happened?

Well, OBVIOUSLY, any SUCCESS at RUNNING throws shade on SP's Pass, Pass, Pass fetish.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, any SUCCESS at RUNNING throws shade on SP's Pass, Pass, Pass fetish.
I disagree... the Saints ran the ball much more and had way better balance on offense when Teddy Bridgewater was the QB. It’s not Sean Payton... it’s the duo of Sean Payton & Drew Brees.

I disagree... the Saints ran the ball much more and had way better balance on offense when Teddy Bridgewater was the QB. It’s not Sean Payton... it’s the duo of Sean Payton & Drew Brees.

I think that proves my point - SP **can** call Running Plays but he chooses NOT TO!

(I don't think Drew is twisting his arm and making him call only Pass Plays.)

I think that proves my point - SP **can** call Running Plays but he chooses NOT TO!

(I don't think Drew is twisting his arm and making him call only Pass Plays.)

I think you need to realize, Drew can audible and check out of running plays....which i think he did way too often against the Vikes....

And I was dead wrong about Murray as a pass catcher and in pass protection, he did very well in both areas and also his ball security was perfect. I think SP knows he made a mistake not using him more and I think that will change next season....

Some folks on the radio mentioned that Murray may not be a "Payton Guy"
I don’t know if he’s a Payton guy but I know he isn’t a guy that can constantly get you a first on 3rd and 1 and I believe that is what Payton wanted him to be. It seemed that if Murray had a carry for no gain then he wouldn’t see the field

I think they were hooked on Kamara, the talking heads sure were. Also Ingram isn't a stud receiving back IMO so I'm not buying that theory.

Uh, yeah Ingram is pretty good recieving the ball out the backfield. Now he doesnt get much yards after the catch but his hands were pretty sticky

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom