There are a lot of reasons why the Saints' 2013 season will be SPECIAL (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
I guess this is a random thought thread, but something is brewing. And a lot of it you just can't-put-your-finger-on-it, but you KNOW it's there.

I don't think this will be a long post, we'll see (I hope others chime in with their thoughts as well):

* Sean Payton had all of 2012 to think, think, and think about his return to the Saints. Yes, he got involved in pee wee football with his son, but that kept him from going stir crazy. As we all know, Sean Payton is a calm personality with a mad scientist thought process. I have no doubt that he will unleash pure genius vs. the NFC South, as well as the rest of the league. Not only that, but the dude has come back pretty buff. I don't know for sure, but he may have a good looking six pack as well. The fact that he's fit & trim says something all by itself.

* Joe Vitt is NOT a media type. But I thank God that he was around for the last 12 weeks or so in 2012. He deflected a lot of STUPID inquiries from the media, and minimized the Bountygate distraction that the team had to deal with. Now that Joe Vitt is dealing with football only, and away from the cameras and microphones, his STRESS LEVEL is down, and he (Vitt), working closely with Rob Ryan, will be able to help the other defensive coaches be on their "A-Game" in week to week preparation. Now that we have a quality DB coach, and an impressive number of veterans and rookies (draftees & UDFA's) to work with, it spells something awesome brewing on the defensive side of the ball. I am also excited that we are transitioning to the 3-4. The revamped defense already has me feeling like a kid waiting for sunrise on Christmas Day. (Note: The players we've already NOT invited back has impressed me as a GOOD START.)

* Full offseason preparation. Drew Brees and others have already stated that this is the first time since '09 that the team has had the entire offseason distraction-free, and full participation by the players.

There are lots of OTHER things that point towards 2013 being a very special year for the New Orleans Saints. I know that there are some out there who will say: "Hey-- wait until we see them in full contact, and after the roster is cut down." I understand that way of thinking. But to me, when you look at the players, coaches, and gameplan we've brought in, it's hard to be ANYTHING BUT excited about the 2013 Saints:

** 2013 Top 15 NFL defense (top-3 in NFC)
** 2013 Top 5 NFL offense (top-2 in NFC)

Something is brewing on Airline Drive, folks... and I like the smell of that home cookin'! :evilgrin:

:gosaints:

Maybe its just me, but these threads show up before just about every season. Every season someone has a special feeling. We're all excited about the season, and we're all hopeful that we have a great season. But I've personally learned to curb my enthusiasm and watch how things pan out.

I'll settle for top 5 defense, but i know what your talkin about! There is something going on that you can feel, but quite don't know what it is! I really expect this to be a great season and another appearance at the Super Bowl.

Sean Payton is regarded as the best play caller in the game. He is masterful at making in-game adjustments, something the Saints sorely missed last season. He has had an ENTIRE YEAR of film study. A whole year of dissecting defensive tendencies. An entire year to analyze weaknesses. This man is ready to unleash havoc on the league.

The only question I have about the upcoming season is how long Coach will let Drew play in the multiple blowout games the Saints will have this year. Personally, I think he doesn't take his foot off the gas pedal at all the whole season.

I too have tempered my expectations. We never know how the injury situation is going to play out from now till during the season. I just hope we don't lose anyone to something severe. If the Saints stay healthy with minimal injuries, I don't see how this team doesn't win the division.

I think the defense will be much better this year.

I've heard it said. this time of year, is the best that everyone's team will look all year. everyone is full of hope. And that's fine. I too am excited to see how our defense turns out this year. And excited to see what Coach Payton has in plan for the offense, which I hope will be as good as ever. Starting the season against Atlanta in the dome.. WOW.

I think there are too many unknowns for me to develop that special feeling right now. How will injuries play out for us and the other teams in our division?
Who will be the starting LT and RT and how successful will they be?
Will we be able to generate a consistent and feared running game throughout the entire season--particularly in the playoffs if we get there?
Then there's the defense which is one big question mark in and of itself. I have us going anywhere between 5-11 and 10-6...I think I'll have a better sense after preseason.

Sean Payton is regarded as the best play caller in the game. He is masterful at making in-game adjustments, something the Saints sorely missed last season. He has had an ENTIRE YEAR of film study. A whole year of dissecting defensive tendencies. An entire year to analyze weaknesses. This man is ready to unleash havoc on the league.

The only question I have about the upcoming season is how long Coach will let Drew play in the multiple blowout games the Saints will have this year. Personally, I think he doesn't take his foot off the gas pedal at all the whole season.

I agree that he is an amazing OC, but are you saying that he normally doesn't study film? I get that being "away" for a year enables him to focus more on film study, but if he could not contact anyone in the organization, would he have been able to get the same quality of film if he was the active Head Coach?

I agree that he is an amazing OC, but are you saying that he normally doesn't study film? I get that being "away" for a year enables him to focus more on film study, but if he could not contact anyone in the organization, would he have been able to get the same quality of film if he was the active Head Coach?

Yes, but he also had to budget time for gameplanning, installation of game plan, managing his staff, public appearances, dealing with media, meeting with Loomis, et al, etc. There are only 168 hours in a week, and he had to sleep sometime. However, during his suspension he was likely able to sit on his couch and watch the game film undistracted for as long as he wished.

i think most people are anxious for the new season to start bc of everything that happen last year, other than the coaches and players being back from suspensions, it will be just another year like the ones before last year's debacle. the saints will be a playoff team just like the year's before. they won't be going 16-0 and going to the super bowl. ill be happy with a 10+ win season with a shot in the playoffs.

Maybe its just me, but these threads show up before just about every season. Every season someone has a special feeling. We're all excited about the season, and we're all hopeful that we have a great season. But I've personally learned to curb my enthusiasm and watch how things pan out.

This is one of those rare occasions where a members avatar perfectly matches their post and it's effect on the OP's thoughts.

Well I think it'll be an exciting yr. Here's the thing I'm afraid of. IF we go to the SB in NY, and we play an outside fielded team, chalk it up as a loss. I guarantee it. No dome team can win a SB on grass against a grass team. And if we play Peyton Manning and Denver (theyre the no. 1 SB pick this yr) I'm going to bet the farm on Denver to win. In order to win a SB, we HAVE to play a Dome team.

Well I think it'll be an exciting yr. Here's the thing I'm afraid of. IF we go to the SB in NY, and we play an outside fielded team, chalk it up as a loss. I guarantee it. No dome team can win a SB on grass against a grass team. And if we play Peyton Manning and Denver (theyre the no. 1 SB pick this yr) I'm going to bet the farm on Denver to win. In order to win a SB, we HAVE to play a Dome team.

I agree w/ this logic. However consider that the Saints are making two fundamental changes with the team:

1. A bigger and more physical defense
2. A commitment to the running game

I think both bode well for playing outdoors in winter.

I agree w/ this logic. However consider that the Saints are making two fundamental changes with the team:

1. A bigger and more physical defense
2. A commitment to the running game

I think both bode well for playing outdoors in winter.
Right, but while there is NO advantage to a dome team playing a grass team indoors, theres a huge advantage to the grass team playing a dome team on grass. In the history of the game, no dome team has ever won a SB against a grass team on grass and I assure you, they wont.

I will retract my thoughts only IF we win EVERY away game on grass, OR get to the SB by playing on the road. But I know Im a little ahead here because it definitely comes down to WHO we play during the dance of whether or not we'll even have a chance at winning.

between 5-11 and 10-6

They went 7-9 without an interim coach and an interim-interim coach as well as the worst D in history.

Why on Earth would anything below that enter your mind? If something catastrophic happened, such as a Brees injury, then maybe yeah...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom