There are approximately 1.7 million scientifically described species on Earth... (1 Viewer)

PurpleBlack&Gold

FOOTBALL PLEASE!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
and biologists estimate 10 to 30 million total species on the planet. This is all living organisms. But even at 1.7 million, my question is how did Noah fit them all on the arc? I am not trying to start an argument, I simply would like someone to explain to me how it is physically possible to fit so many forms of life on a boat. I have read the bible and I know that part of the story but I need some clarification here, I just can't reconcile this. I also know that not all species would have been on the arc but that also does not take in to account all of the extinct animals that would have been alive during the flood considering the Earth would only be 6000 years old if this is correct.

Again, I am not trying to pick a fight, start an argument or anything malicious. I just would like honest answers of how to justify this in my mind without just saying its because of faith.

If you are planing to ridicule anyone anyone for how they might respond, please leave it in another thread.

Thank you.

I forgot to add, my cousin is a staunch creationist, with a B.S. from Tulane no less. We have been debating this stuff for a few years now and some of the evidence she shows me is really interesting.

Last edited:
Purple, we have discussed this in the now famous dinosaur threads. I am a somewhat conservative Catholic but I strongly believe in the scientific method and many forms of evolution, if not the whole thing. The Bible is a history book, first and foremost, it has been written and rewritten about 15-16 times and numerous translational methods. Their is more then one way to read it and its much more complicated then a lot of religious fundamentalists claim it to be. also the bible IMHO is about doing to others as they would do unto you, not so about the validity of the stories in the canon of Scripture. Its takes a much more in depth mind to understand the Bible then just say evolution did not happen or that the earth is 6,000 years old. for one thing the bible to my knowledge never says how old the earth really is or when the Creation story really happened in our time frame as we know it.

I know what you mean saintman. I am just interested in how people rationalize these things. I will look up that thread, thanks.

Back then they only had about 50 different species of animals so it was easier to load up an ark back then.

God created the other species later because he wanted to set the bar a little higher for the next ark builder when he decides to flood the Earth again.

One of a kind, Reb. You really think outside the box. Which is not too bad If I may say so.
BTW I have been to other side of the tracks everybody, I had some pop eyes fried chicken and burnt French fires as a compliment, nice and juicy fries I may add too.
With a coke to splash it all down

“Do you think God gets stoned? I think so . . . look at the platypus.”
Robin Williams

Back then they only had about 50 different species of animals so it was easier to load up an ark back then.

God created the other species later because he wanted to set the bar a little higher for the next ark builder when he decides to flood the Earth again.

Actually, He said He would never flood the world again. However, that being said, I think only a small section of that part of the world got flooded. And he may have had many critters on that boat, but not one of every that existed at the time. Like any story that is told and retold and translated into multiple languages (some that didn't even exist 6k years ago) the story took on it's own life. An old dude and his family load up some creatures into a boat when it drizzling , and the next thing you know it's raining 40 days and 40 nights, the whole dern world flooded and he even had every animal of every species, one male one female on that thing! I guess we may find out what really happened when we die.

Doobs, Black Sea Flood is sort of similar to the flood you talk about?

Is that the one you think could have been the Flood of Genesis? IT did happen kind of 10,000 years ago if IIRC?

Actually, He said He would never flood the world again. However, that being said, I think only a small section of that part of the world got flooded. And he may have had many critters on that boat, but not one of every that existed at the time. Like any story that is told and retold and translated into multiple languages (some that didn't even exist 6k years ago) the story took on it's own life. An old dude and his family load up some creatures into a boat when it drizzling , and the next thing you know it's raining 40 days and 40 nights, the whole dern world flooded and he even had every animal of every species, one male one female on that thing! I guess we may find out what really happened when we die.

Well according to my cousin, we don't get to find out unless we believe this literally happened. I am not saying she told me I am going to hell or anything, but trying to save me every chance she has is basically telling me we ain't going to the same place in her mind. I just don't understand how this can be taken as literal truth.

purple Google the Black Sea Flood that happened 10,000 years ago or so? That may be IMHO where the Flood really got its impetus or it may be the real thing period. Just me throwing that out. Read about it and just come back and tell me what you think

Is that the one you think could have been the Flood of Genesis? IT did happen kind of 10,000 years ago if IIRC?

I saw a show about that a few years ago. They have fresh water clam shells below a certain depth all the way around it and beaches that are now submerged and such. I agree that is likely where the story came from. I think the water level changed enough to swamp any small fishing villages near to the original water line. But the water still would not have risen fast enough for people to think the entire world flooded.

Last edited:

I think so Saintman. Saw it on History Channel.

P&G I can live fine the rest of eternity in Heaven w/o out the knowledge of the Floods truth. I hope.

I hear you doob. Saintman, are those threads about the dinosaurs still accessible? Where they on the old forum? What were they named, I can't find them with the search.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom