There Are No Options... The Hill Project Has Got To Work!! (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Last week, I posted a piece on the Saints QB Depth Chart and I talked about how smooth of a transition to Jameis Winston the Saints offense would see. That post was before the news was revealed that Taysom Hill had taken all the QB1 snaps during the week of practice and Hill was named the starter for the game versus the Atlanta Falcons. I was SHOCKED!! Many reporters opined on why Sean Payton named Taysom Hill the starter, but there is truly only one reason and for Payton, Loomis and the Saints organization.. to justify his contract, Taysom Hill must project to be a starting QB in the NFL.

IT'S GOTTA WORK!!!

Taysom Hill is an athletic kid with a strong arm and who was once given a chance to be the backup to Aaron Rogers. That didn't work out. Former Saints OC Mike McCarthy made Aaron Brooks a record-holding, effective starting QB but McCarthy never promoted Hill to QB2. Annually, the Packers signed free agent QBs to backup A-Rod and eventually released Taysom who was then claimed by the Saints. We know the history, so let's talk politics and performance.

Team performance... There may be other teams that carry extra QBs but carrying 3 QBs on a game-day roster is uncommon. There is only one clipboard and every active player needs to contribute. To make the active roster, Taysom was given a shot to play special teams. With his size and speed, Taysom the player made some plays but plays on special teams don't relate to playing QB. Plus, there is the chance of getting injured doing a job not related to your position. Payton couldn't answer these questions, but still insisted Hill could one day be a starting QB in the NFL. Hill is a nice guy but never gained the locker-room or player support of Bridgewater or Winston. After practice, when Brees would gather QBs and teammates to play his QB accuracy games, Hill would not participate. But somehow the QB3 was doing something in practice that impressed Payton. Still the Saints never went into a season without signing a veteran backup to position ahead of Hill and behind Brees until this past offseason.

Last season, all the stars aligned in favor for Taysom Hill. First, Payton faced a lot of questions when he transitioned from a 5-0 Teddy Bridgewater. Second, Payton faced more questions after the playoff game versus the Vikings where Hill was obviously more effective than Brees (Bridgewater could have won the game). Then Hill's management team negotiated a $20 million contract and the football world had more questions. Contract questions that could only be answered by Payton proving his assertions that Hill could be a starter in the NFL.

Team politics.. The contract to Hill was more money than the team gave Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater and, former coach's favorite, Chase Daniels. Basically, Taysom Hill was the highest paid backup QB in the NFL when no one was considering Hill as an option to replace Drew Brees. As a gadget guy who made the roster of a playoff team with no real skill at his primary position, Taysom Hill hit the mother lode. A fan favorite practice-squad, scout-team, special-team player paid more than free agents like Malcom Jenkins, Mark Ingram, Ak Hicks and others who the Saints let walk and sign with other teams. Somebody needed to prove that the Taysom Hill contract was a good idea. The Taysom Hill experiment must succeed to save face for Payton and Loomis who convinced MsBenson to pay Hill more money than Hill could have gotten anywhere.

The game tape versus the Falcons showed a Taysum Hill at QB who has more flaws than the former XFL QB who started for the Panthers. Hill had major problems with pocket pressure and showed an inability to accurately attack the back-end of defenses with his arm. Then there is the ball security issues. Sean Payton can't fix lack of skill with plays, schemes and player packages. And, given how physical THill is with the football, there is the possibility that the kid will be hurt and the team will be down two QBs and a key special teams player.

Bottom line... The Saints claimed the #1 Seed in the playoffs this past weekend. The Bye Week is important because one less game is also one less chance for defeat. Plus, three teams will be eliminated before you play and every playoff game the Saints play will be a home game. The question is, do you want Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston defending your playoff position till Brees returns? No one knows what Payton is thinking but I got a feeling I'm gonna need a Taysom Hill jersey.

GO Saints!!!

Did anyone talk about why Teddy started last year? It's funny, nobody really wanted to talk about the whole "they only played teddy to justify his league top backup qb money contract as well as the compensation gave away to get him here". That argument last year was moolarkey.

Meh...
Last year, on his first start, Bridgewater went 19/27(70%) for 177yds with 12 yds rushing, the offense scored 21 points, and many were ready to bench Drew the rest of the season.

Yesterday, Taysom went 18/23(78%) 233yds with 51 yds rushing, the offense scores 24 points, but he started because Loomis has to justify his contract.

As I said many times, one game doesn't make or break anyone, but Taysom has earned his chance to prove he can play QB. I believe he can, but time will tell.

Last edited:
You have nothing legitimate to complain about regarding Taysom's play and are manufacturing ways to diminish his contributions. Then you want to tell us it's political. :rolleyes:

Taysom got paid because he's a durable, versatile playmaker and saves us AT LEAST two roster positions.
Taysom earned his shot.
Taysom was better than expected at QB in his first start.
Taysom is the starter and people will continue to moan about it.

1. Hill is a nice guy but never gained the locker-room or player support of Bridgewater or Winston.
  2. After practice, when Brees would gather QBs and teammates to play his QB accuracy games, Hill would not participate.
  3. (Bridgewater could have won the game)
  4. Hill had major problems with pocket pressure
  5. showed an inability to accurately attack the back-end of defenses with his arm.
  6. Sean Payton can't fix lack of skill
The question is, do you want Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston defending your playoff position till Brees returns?

Where to start. SMH

The game tape versus the Falcons showed a Taysum Hill at QB who has more flaws than the former XFL QB who started for the Panthers. Hill had major problems with pocket pressure and showed an inability to accurately attack the back-end of defenses with his arm.
Dude, what game were you watching? Only someone who knows nothing about football could have come away with this impression.

"Hill is a nice guy but never gained the locker-room or player support of Bridgewater or Winston." I'd be interested in how you sourced this, since you state it as fact and not opinion.
"Hill had major problems with pocket pressure". I'd also be interested in the tape verification of this and how you define "major problems". I would think the only real major problems one can have as a QB due to pressure are a) interceptions b) incompletions c) sacks. With 0 interceptions yesterday that seems to not be the issue. There were only 5 incompletions on the day - and those were not all due to pressure - so I can't think of that being a major problem. Now 3 sacks would be concerning on 26 dropbacks but without knowing the blocking calls (at least one of those sacks was from Deion Jones not being blocked by McCoy) or the actual pressures Taysom had that statistic is nothing more than a statistic and means nothing about the QB play. Care to explicate?

Obviously, the issue of who would be best going forward is unresolved for many of us. I can accept that. But attempts to cast Taysom's debut as substandard or that Jameis is a clearly better choice made me wonder so I decided to compare Taysom to Teddy's 5 games and the last two of Jameis for a better context to compare them with.

When comparing these 8 games Taysom leads in completion percentage, yards per attempt, and of course he dominates the rushing stats.

The yards per attempt is a fair measure of passing difficulty and he bests both JW and TB in this area.

No, TH was not flawless but he compared favorably and I would argue, that statistically, Taysom is at least equal to and maybe even better than the others; especially when you factor in the rushing potential to the argument and the fact this was his first game.

Note: Table is sorted by completion percentage

1606161950057.png

Attachments

• 1606160527241.png
    1606160527241.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
Don't forget, this was his first NFL start at QB and first start in 5 years....

I think he handled it very well. Did he take a few sacks? Yes. Did he get a little lucky with a pass or 2 that could've been picked? Yes
But did he handle himself well in the pocket? Yes. Did he get it to CGM? Yes. Did he make the big mistake? No

This cake is nowhere near baked. I have no idea which way this is going to go, and neither does anyone else!
I feel like there's so much discussion about this because of his versatility. How is this punt protector playing QB? If he was any other backup QB sitting on the bench waiting his turn, we would just watch and wish him well. But lots of people are acting like we have a RB that took a few wildcat snaps and now we're letting him be the starting QB.

This is a guy who's been working and developing for 5 years. When GB had him, he was raw, and they couldn't justify keeping him long enough to develop. Coach SP figured out a way to use him, justified a spot for him on the roster, all the while allowing him to continue developing as a QB.

Now we get to see how he does. Let's let it play out. He should get better with every game. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But the first game turned out pretty good. That should only help his confidence....

One thing is for sure. He generated excitement.... Go Saints!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom