There just isnt a CB worth the #10 pick...... (1 Viewer)

Jenkins did get torched at least a couple times.....on the LaFell TD, and again right before the Early Doucett TD....and on the 3rd qt, with 9:22 left, when LSU had 2nd & 1 on the OSU 20 yds line, Charles Scott, #32 got the ball on an inside screen, and broke to his left, Jenkins took a bad angle and missed an easy tackle, resulting in a big play which put LSU on the 4 yds line. Deucett scored his TD on the very next play Jenkins did not have a particulary good game, the INT Jenkins had, was a bad move on the LSU WR part.....

The short TD to LaFell and a 16 yard gain means he got torched? Have we all forgotten the big plays Jason David gave up. I would KILL to see Jason David get torched for only a 10 yard (or however long it was) TD and a 16 yard gain!

And for all the talk about Chevis Jackson, he sure did get smacked to the ground by a Beanie Wells stiffarm.

Sure Jenkins didn't have a perfect game, but it wasn't horrible either and I failed to see him get "torched" as some people have said. He got beat, but not torched. And getting beat is a step up from what we Saints fans had to watch this year. I'm not gonna comment on any of these guys because only those who have seen their entire body of work are qualified to make a credible comment.

The short TD to LaFell and a 16 yard gain means he got torched? Have we all forgotten the big plays Jason David gave up. I would KILL to see Jason David get torched for only a 10 yard (or however long it was) TD and a 16 yard gain!

And for all the talk about Chevis Jackson, he sure did get smacked to the ground by a Beanie Wells stiffarm.

Sure Jenkins didn't have a perfect game, but it wasn't horrible either and I failed to see him get "torched" as some people have said. He got beat, but not torched. And getting beat is a step up from what we Saints fans had to watch this year. I'm not gonna comment on any of these guys because only those who have seen their entire body of work are qualified to make a credible comment.

He didn't even get "beat" on that goaline play. He gave up the TD because the way LSU ran the play, Jenkins had to cross paths over the middle and he lost a step on him. It wasn't him just getting beat physically and having subpar coverage skills. If thats what a bad game looks like for Jenkins, then I'll take him anytime.

So giving up a TD in a goaline package and missing a tackle (I'll take your word for it) means he didn't have a good game? He shut Lafell down and LSU didn't dare go to his side of the field most of the night. Against the best team in college football (my apologizes USC homers) he played an overall very nice game.

What did he do all game? How many passes did he broke up? I re-watched the game, and he didn't do much all game long! Granted, LSU didn't throw the ball at his side much....and the very few times his name was mentioned was when he got torched by the TD, and gave up a big play by taking a bad angle! hardly anything to brag about!

I say it again....he did not have a particulary good game, and I'm sticking to my story.....

You're probably correct because I didn't even get to see that play besides on the highlights, but I definitely agree with you. He was playing versus a receiving core who was suppose to have superior speed and he never got beat deep. That is what impressed me about him. I don't really have a preference yet as to who we pick at #10, but I would not be disappointed with Jenkins. I just can't wait to see how free agency plays out so we will have a better idea of which direction we might go in the draft.

I'm not questioning his abilities as a CB......I'm pretty sure he is a 1st rd pick.....all I'm saying he didn't have a particulary good game last Monday in the Superdome....I read many posts here praising his great game....well, I didn't see it! He had a below average game, and his play contributed to 2 LSU TDs....hardly something to brag about!

. He was playing versus a receiving core who was suppose to have superior speed and he never got beat deep. That is what impressed me about him.

He never got beat deep, cause LSU did not drop back 5-7 steps to give enough time to throw deep! LSU borrowed a page from the Saints repertoire, and threw short passes after a 3-5 step drop.....it is very hard to throw deep when the heat is on and the QB has to unload the ball quiockly! That was LSU's game plan all night long. Have you seen a pass over 25 yds? I haven't!

Lots of fans complained about the OSU MLB for not making big plays.....again, that is an unqualified statement, considering that LSU threw short after a 3 step drop....no one can sack the QB that fast! And almost no time for an INT either! I say it again... the OSU MLB (sorry I can't spell his name) had a very good game, and made a ton of plays.....

What did he do all game? How many passes did he broke up? I re-watched the game, and he didn't do much all game long! Granted, LSU didn't throw the ball at his side much....and the very few times his name was mentioned was when he got torched by the TD, and gave up a big play by taking a bad angle! hardly anything to brag about!

I say it again....he did not have a particulary good game, and I'm sticking to my story.....

A CB can't break up passes when they don't throw at him because his coverage is so good. LSU stayed away from him because they know how good he is. A bad angle on a tackle in the run game is hardly an inditement of how good someones game was or was not. The fact that you never heard his name is precisely why I'm saying he had a good game.

I'm starting to think Malcolm Jenkins is the most overrated player on this forum... not because I think he's not a good CB... but rather because I don't think he fits our scheme.

What I mean is... jenkins (and OSU) plays alot of zone... I think its because of the speed factor... maybe Jenkins can run, but their defense as a unit isn't blazing... so they make up for it by playing zone.

Jenkins does excel in the zone scheme, but we don't play zone (as much)... so I just think Jenkins is overrated on this board because yes he's a good CB, but I doubt he could excel in man coverage.

Everybody is fast... hell Jason David is a burner... probably 4.39-ish... but does that really matter in the NFL?

A CB can't break up passes when they don't throw at him because his coverage is so good. LSU stayed away from him because they know how good he is. A bad angle on a tackle in the run game is hardly an inditement of how good someones game was or was not. The fact that you never heard his name is precisely why I'm saying he had a good game.

I bet you liked Josh Bullocks too! Cause when no one challanged him he looked pretty good too!

But when they did, then you didn't take that into consideration....just as you don't take the plays which were bad plays by Jenkins.

cason cason cason, this guy is going to be a stud in the league

I would like to see the Saints go with more zone defense and less man.
JD is supposedly better in zone. If we draft Jenkins or Phillips I believe both have played more zone than man in college. The top free agent CB(Asante Samuels) is a zone corner. Finally Mckenzie could be back earlier if the Saints played more zone. This is just my speculation assuming playing zone after an injury is easier than playing man and having to make cuts following a WR all over the field.

Also as Mckenzie gets older and begins losing a step it won't be as drastic if he was playing zone, in man to man he would get exposed.

I bet you liked Josh Bullocks too! Cause when no one challanged him he looked pretty good too!

But when they did, then you didn't take that into consideration....just as you don't take the plays which were bad plays by Jenkins.

Bullocks is a Safety, and when exactly has he not been challenged and looked good?

They completed two passes on him all night. Yes, such a terrible game.

I'm starting to think Malcolm Jenkins is the most overrated player on this forum... not because I think he's not a good CB... but rather because I don't think he fits our scheme.

What I mean is... jenkins (and OSU) plays alot of zone... I think its because of the speed factor... maybe Jenkins can run, but their defense as a unit isn't blazing... so they make up for it by playing zone.

Jenkins does excel in the zone scheme, but we don't play zone (as much)... so I just think Jenkins is overrated on this board because yes he's a good CB, but I doubt he could excel in man coverage.

Everybody is fast... hell Jason David is a burner... probably 4.39-ish... but does that really matter in the NFL?

For what its worth:

Ohio State plays a large portion of their games with him in man coverage, and Jenkins has always been excellent at it. It's considered one of his strong suits, along with his ability to find the ball. :shrug:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1216

tOSU plays alot of hybrid defenses leaving Jenkins on an island.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom