There just isnt a CB worth the #10 pick...... (1 Viewer)

David's problem isn't speed... It's technique and size.

I think that is what Droopy is implying. You can have all speed in the world as a CB, but if you don't have proper technique and smarts, you can get burned all day. A few names that come to my mind are Ahmad Carroll, Phillip Buchanon, and,unfortunately, Jason David.

I think that is what Droopy is implying. You can have all speed in the world as a CB, but if you don't have proper technique and smarts, you can get burned all day. A few names that come to my mind are Ahmad Carroll, Phillip Buchanon, and,unfortunately, Jason David.

So is anyone argueing that Jenkins doesn't have the smarts or technique?

He is as good as it gets physically for a CB and has done nothing but shut his recievers down all year.

This sentiment that we will just get a great CB in FA is a pipedream. There may be 2 good CB's available and I'll let you guess the chances of us landing them out of the other 32 teams.

We'll find out more during the combine and private workouts. You might have a mid first round corner have a Chris Houston type workout and vault into the top 10. You just never know.

And, how many of these corners Bagouser have you seen play more than just 1 time? From the looks of it, you've based your opinion of Malcolm Jenkins from just one game... and the others from what you've read.

So is anyone argueing that Jenkins doesn't have the smarts or technique?

He is as good as it gets physically for a CB and has done nothing but shut his recievers down all year.

I am all for taking Jenkins at #10 to tell you the truth. If there aren't any LB's that appeal to us when we are on the clock, you have to go with the best DB, which is either Malcolm Jenkins or Kenny Phillips. I think Kenny Phillips might be too raw to draft at #10 and Jenkins could come in and start for us.

Jenkins did get torched at least a couple times.....on the LaFell TD, and again right before the Early Doucett TD....and on the 3rd qt, with 9:22 left, when LSU had 2nd & 1 on the OSU 20 yds line, Charles Scott, #32 got the ball on an inside screen, and broke to his left, Jenkins took a bad angle and missed an easy tackle, resulting in a big play which put LSU on the 4 yds line. Deucett scored his TD on the very next play Jenkins did not have a particulary good game, the INT Jenkins had, was a bad move on the LSU WR part.....

On the LaFell touchdown, as Lafell breaks at the goalline, there is a Ohio State player who gets crossed up with Jenkins. It was not a major cross up but it was enough to give LaFell the separation he needed to get the touchdown.

On the play you mentioned with Scott, Scott catches the screen, delivers a stiff arm to Jenkins who stumbles. But it is Jenkins who regains his footing and comes back to tackle Scott out-of-bounds.

Jenkins was RARELY thrown at the entire night and there was one pass completed against him. That was the touchdown to LaFell. Most of the passes went away from him. LSU tried to go deep on him to Byrd. He blanketed Byrd and did a great job of forcing him to sideline where even if he makes the catch, he would have been ruled out-of-bounds. The interception did come off a miscommunication between the quarterback and the receiver, but Jenkins showed solid awareness and had a great return once he got his hands on the ball.

If there isn't a defensive player worth taking at #10 when it's the Saints turn, I would have no problem with trading back for a few extra picks if another team is willing to cough up what the move would be worth. There is NO WAY I feel we should even consider an offensive player, unless it is a top flight lineman worth the #10.

What did he do all game? How many passes did he broke up? I re-watched the game, and he didn't do much all game long! Granted, LSU didn't throw the ball at his side much....and the very few times his name was mentioned was when he got torched by the TD, and gave up a big play by taking a bad angle! hardly anything to brag about!

I say it again....he did not have a particulary good game, and I'm sticking to my story.....

You answered your own question. You don't have to break up passes WHEN A TEAM REFUSES TO THROW THE BALL YOUR DIRECTION. That's kind of like asking why does Nnamdi Asomugha not make more interceptions than he does even though teams very rarely throw his direction.

Torched? How? Off a great play design where Jenkins gets crossed up for like a split second? Okay.

And stop the bad angle crap. It was a bad angle. It was a very nice stiff arm by Scott and at least Jenkins was able to stay on his feet and come back to prevent Scott from scoring.

I'm starting to think Malcolm Jenkins is the most overrated player on this forum... not because I think he's not a good CB... but rather because I don't think he fits our scheme.

What I mean is... jenkins (and OSU) plays alot of zone... I think its because of the speed factor... maybe Jenkins can run, but their defense as a unit isn't blazing... so they make up for it by playing zone.

Jenkins does excel in the zone scheme, but we don't play zone (as much)... so I just think Jenkins is overrated on this board because yes he's a good CB, but I doubt he could excel in man coverage.

Everybody is fast... hell Jason David is a burner... probably 4.39-ish... but does that really matter in the NFL?

Jenkins plays most of the time in zone but he has played in man. Also, look at some of the other players from Ohio State that played CB in the same defense and are doing well in the NFL. By the way, Jenkins is suppose to be a 4.3 guy.

I bet you liked Josh Bullocks too! Cause when no one challanged him he looked pretty good too!

But when they did, then you didn't take that into consideration....just as you don't take the plays which were bad plays by Jenkins.

This is getting silly. Short of "begging the question," this as close to a fallacy as one can get.

For what its worth:

tOSU plays alot of hybrid defenses leaving Jenkins on an island.

Sort of like the Saints. The Saints run a lot of man but play variations of cover-2 and zone.

Sorry, but unless you have a LOT of tape on a player, there's no way to evaluate him. One game against LSU is not a fair evaluation of a player. I don't care one way or the other, but those bringing up only the most recent game and saying he's a bad player just don't get it. EVERYONE has a bad game, no matter who it is, especially DB's. You have to look at the body of work, not just a game or two just so you can "show (you) are right!"

Sorry, but unless you have a LOT of tape on a player, there's no way to evaluate him. One game against LSU is not a fair evaluation of a player. I don't care one way or the other, but those bringing up only the most recent game and saying he's a bad player just don't get it. EVERYONE has a bad game, no matter who it is, especially DB's. You have to look at the body of work, not just a game or two just so you can "show (you) are right!"

No one is questioning the player's value....at least not me. Jenkins is a 1st round draft prospect, no doubt. But to say he had a good game in the BCS final is silly! And then argue the fact that LSU did not throw at him therefore he must be great, is even sillier! He was beaten on a corner route by his man, WHEN LSU DID TRHEW AT HIM.....and then again, when he missed a tackle on a screen pass which put LSU in scoring position again.... What is so great about that?

That's all I'm saying.....

No one is questioning the player's value....at least not me. Jenkins is a 1st round draft prospect, no doubt. But to say he had a good game in the BCS final is silly! And then argue the fact that LSU did not throw at him therefore he must be great, is even sillier! He was beaten on a corner route by his man, WHEN LSU DID TRHEW AT HIM.....and then again, when he missed a tackle on a screen pass which put LSU in scoring position again.... What is so great about that?

That's all I'm saying.....

Your not making sense. Do you think LSU didn't throw at him because they think hes ugly? They didn't throw at him because he is great in coverage and they knew they couldn't complete on him without risking a TO.

He gave up one pass the entire game on a goalline play where he was picked by his own guy allowing Lafell to break free. He wasn't torched or outplayed on that play. He didn't "miss a tackle," he was stiff armed, he recovered and kept him from getting into the endzone.

What is a great game to you for a CB? Seriously?

You answered your own question. You don't have to break up passes WHEN A TEAM REFUSES TO THROW THE BALL YOUR DIRECTION. That's kind of like asking why does Nnamdi Asomugha not make more interceptions than he does even though teams very rarely throw his direction.

Torched? How? Off a great play design where Jenkins gets crossed up for like a split second? Okay.

And stop the bad angle crap. It was a bad angle. It was a very nice stiff arm by Scott and at least Jenkins was able to stay on his feet and come back to prevent Scott from scoring.

I got news for you ....Jason David LOOKS GREAT TOO when no one throws in his direction!! To make an argument based on that puts you in the same category BoNcHiE is.

Torched.....Jenkins was beaten like a rented mule on the TD pass...if you like it like that.

It was a bad angle which put him in a position to MISS THE TACKLE! That's why the stiff arm worked!

I got news for you ....Jason David LOOKS GREAT TOO when no one throws in his direction!! To make an argument based on that puts you in the same category BoNcHiE is.

Torched.....Jenkins was beaten like a rented mule on the TD pass...if you like it like that.

It was a bad angle which put him in a position to MISS THE TACKLE! That's why the stiff arm worked!

I'm just gonna guess you have no knowledge of why teams do or don't throw at people and leave it at that. Your logic is faulty at best. To say he didn't have a good game because they didn't throw at him makes absolutely no sense. Saying he got torched on a goaline pass play where his own man picked him off the route also makes no sense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom