There were 2 reasons we lost (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
We lost the game, and you can point to 2 reasons in this game: Defense, and Alvin Kamara.

First, where were our DB's? You cannot blame this bad defensive performance on having 2 starting LB's out of the game. Other than Bell and Lattimore, our secondary was atrocious. DB's getting beat (Apple) by 10 yards of separation. Running into each other. Giving up big play after big play. Uncontested balls. Earlier in the year I was giving Eli all the props I could, because he was earning them. Now, I'm glad we didn't give him an extension. He's better than PJ, but not by much.

Second, Alvin fumbled the ball, which he very rarely does. That cost us a TD. This is not to say that they wouldn't have held us on defense and made us punt, and then drive down the field to score. Still, that fumble gave them the ball deep in our territory, and it didn't take them long to score.

It's sad, because the rest of the defense were doing their jobs. We were getting pressure all day long on JG, and were pretty much stopping the run. Shannahan's gameplan was to come out and destroy us with the passing game, and it worked because our Secondary was awful yesterday.

Last, I want to give props to the Officials in the game. They called a very fair game for the first time this season, and didn't really cost us the game, other than the Holding penalty that wasn't called. That would have extended the drive, and we could possibly have done something with the ball to score.

Kamara looks atrocious!!!

he is killing every money talk heading into the offseason with that pitiful playing

Really didnt come back with his confidence after that injurie... I hope CSP stops using him through the middle
Give him screen passes to the sides, thats all he can do

and stop throwing behind the los

Kamara looks atrocious!!!

he is killing every money talk heading into the offseason with that pitiful playing

Really didnt come back with his confidence after that injurie... I hope CSP stops using him through the middle
Give him screen passes to the sides, thats all he can do

and stop throwing behind the los
We are past the point it’s on Kamara. If they keep sending him out there with same results and no shift in how and when they use him, then it has graduated to being on the coaches.

I disagree about not having Alonso and Klein. Robertson is slower than both. Also, when you have players that have been together for several games, they pretty much know where they are going to be on a given play and there is a trust factor. That doesn't excuse the overall play because there were many breakdowns defensively. I think it's a different (better) defensive performance with Alonso and/or Klein in the game yesterday.

We lost the game, and you can point to 2 reasons in this game: Defense, and Alvin Kamara.

First, where were our DB's? You cannot blame this bad defensive performance on having 2 starting LB's out of the game. Other than Bell and Lattimore, our secondary was atrocious. DB's getting beat (Apple) by 10 yards of separation. Running into each other. Giving up big play after big play. Uncontested balls. Earlier in the year I was giving Eli all the props I could, because he was earning them. Now, I'm glad we didn't give him an extension. He's better than PJ, but not by much.

Second, Alvin fumbled the ball, which he very rarely does. That cost us a TD. This is not to say that they wouldn't have held us on defense and made us punt, and then drive down the field to score. Still, that fumble gave them the ball deep in our territory, and it didn't take them long to score.

It's sad, because the rest of the defense were doing their jobs. We were getting pressure all day long on JG, and were pretty much stopping the run. Shannahan's gameplan was to come out and destroy us with the passing game, and it worked because our Secondary was awful yesterday.

Last, I want to give props to the Officials in the game. They called a very fair game for the first time this season, and didn't really cost us the game, other than the Holding penalty that wasn't called. That would have extended the drive, and we could possibly have done something with the ball to score.

Good post, agree with all..except I don’t think we had consistent pressure on Jimmy.

We are past the point it’s on Kamara. If they keep sending him out there with same results and no shift in how and when they use him, then it has graduated to being on the coaches.
Thats what Im talking about

he doesnt bring it. So its on the coaching staff to use him the way he might still work.
For everything else use Murray

things were not executed well on both sides so regardless of the things we didn't do well we were in a shootout game with them and it was the type that last man to have the ball would win. That kind of reinforces Payton's idea that this was one of those games where you needed to steal a possession. So while I don't think that our fake punt was a very good play to use it on, I completely support his calling a fake at some point in the game. I am sure that watching film Sean saw something about there PR team that made him think it might work and it simply didn't play out like that.

David, I agree with your points and will add that I believe Coach Payton needs to be included. His persistence of using an obviously not right AK and that IMO bonehead long 4th down pass out of punt formation certainly contributed to this loss, which could have been a big victory. I also think that we in fact did miss our two other starting LB's as Robertson, even with his outstanding hustle, is slow and just did not get to the outside which hurt us alot on outside passes and runs.

I think the RB situation is a mixture of Alvin playing poorly and CSP refusing to feed Murray the ball when he's obviously the better option. Latavius averaged 9.9 yards a pop on 7 carries yesterday. It's criminal not to feed give him more carries.
After him having two 100 yard games without AK in the game, Id give him at least 15 touches a game
This man can ball! Just let him do his job

Especially when you lose because you left 50 seconds on the clock

The 49ers took advantage of our DEs as I predicted before the game. Taking an inside rush and not setting the edge was exploited most of the game.
Another factor that affected the outcome was Sean Payton taking 2 timeouts, when the 49ers had the ball at the end of the first half. His explanation would be that he was hoping to give the offense one more possession before halftime. With the way the defense was playing that was a dream. Gave the 49ers extra time to put together a TD drive. Holding them to a FG would have been huge.

I think the RB situation is a mixture of Alvin playing poorly and CSP refusing to feed Murray the ball when he's obviously the better option. Latavius averaged 9.9 yards a pop on 7 carries yesterday. It's criminal not to feed give him more carries.

How odd that we can type that LM is the better option. Lol. If you’d told me that a year ago I’d have died laughing. And it’s true, for whatever the reason is...it’s the truth.

The 49ers took advantage of our DEs as I predicted before the game. Taking an inside rush and not setting the edge was exploited most of the game.
Another factor that affected the outcome was Sean Payton taking 2 timeouts, when the 49ers had the ball at the end of the first half. His explanation would be that he was hoping to give the offense one more possession before halftime. With the way the defense was playing that was a dream. Gave the 49ers extra time to put together a TD drive. Holding them to a FG would have been huge.

Great post and I’d like to expound on one of your points:
SP always takes those defensive time outs and they very rarely work. They almost always end up hurting us. Wish he’d stop.

How odd that we can type that LM is the better option. Lol. If you’d told me that a year ago I’d have died laughing. And it’s true, for whatever the reason is...it’s the truth.
Alvin is a mystery. I hope it's injury related, because he can overcome that. On the other hand, if he's mentally checked out, that's a big concern.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom