There's a hole in my house. (1 Viewer)

Sabine

Thicketeer - Bottomite
Reaction score
My oldest daughter moved into her dorm room today, and that created this giant void here at home.

Everyone said that 18 years would go by so fast, but that 's not it. I soaked up and made the most of every minute. I'm not worried that she's too young to make her way. She's smart, resourceful, beautiful, has personality, and could have taken on the world at 10. So, that's not it either.

She exudes this energy. Her enthusiasm for everything is contagious. To her, Life is a giant sampler platter. For 18 years, I watched in awe as she grew into the type of person that everyone should be. There is no one on the planet I enjoy more - AND SHE'S GONE - 17 whole blocks away.

I HATE THIS! I HATE THIS! I HATE THIS!

My throat is on fire.

It's just so strange. It feels like there's a hole in my house.

How do parents do this?

well, there is a hole in my house for one half of every month.....my son is 5, but i already know what it's like when he is not here.....:mad:

well, there is a hole in my house for one half of every month.....my son is 5, but i already know what it's like when he is not here.....:mad:

I feel for you. That has to be hard, but at least you know he'll keep coming for half of the month (for another 13 +/- years). I don't think I would have managed the week on /week off arrangement well at all, but now I'd take that arrangement over this if UT will go for it.

It's not like it's quite, empty or lifeless here now. I have two other teens that have a pack of friends attached to them like appendages, and my house is the hub for my friends too. I just wasn't expecting this. I don't even want to go upstairs near her room. It feels like the vacuum created by her absence would suck me right out of the house.

Damnit. Here, I was thinking how lucky I was to be enjoying time with my teenagers when so many parents can't stand to be around their own for more than a few minutes. I should have known there was a catch.

THIS SUCKS!

when i moved out my folks dealt with the loss by turning my room into a den

when me and my brother moved out at the same time, my parents seemed pretty excited and turned my room into an exercise room, and his room into their office. didnt seem to bother them much. but i guess when its a daughter, it has to be a little harder

Yeah, my dad was glad to see me go. My mom would love for me to move back in today.

My oldest daughter moved into her dorm room today, and that created this giant void here at home.

Everyone said that 18 years would go by so fast, but that 's not it. I soaked up and made the most of every minute. I'm not worried that she's too young to make her way. She's smart, resourceful, beautiful, has personality, and could have taken on the world at 10. So, that's not it either.

She exudes this energy. Her enthusiasm for everything is contagious. To her, Life is a giant sampler platter. For 18 years, I watched in awe as she grew into the type of person that everyone should be. There is no one on the planet I enjoy more - AND SHE'S GONE - 17 whole blocks away.

My throat is on fire.

How do parents do this?

I have a hole in my house too. My kids are 10, 7, 5, and 3. And I'm pretty sure I know which one did it too! :hihi:

Seriously, hopefully you'll be able to continue to have such a great relationship with her as you both grow into this new phase of her life.

My throat is on fire.

How do parents do this?

Look at the bright side. She's going to college where she'll get to experiment with boys and booze and learn subversive, anti-American sentiments from professors like me!

Your daughter will be a filthy communist before you know it.

:hihi:

I feel for you Sabine. My daughter is almost 12, but I dread the day that she leaves for good.

Look at the bright side. She's going to college where she'll get to experiment with boys and booze and learn subversive, anti-American sentiments from professors like me!

Good job Reb. I sure wouldn't want you manning the suicide hotline phones.:mwink:

Sabine, changes are always tough at first. Before you know it, you'll be converting her room into a Saints office.:9:

As someone who went through this a year ago when my daughter moved into her own apartment (luckily less than a mile away) I know the feeling. Since she is our only child (adopted) and she took her dog with her, the house got very quiet all the sudden.

BUT the good thing is that we probably see more of her now than we did before she moved, Since she is in school and don't earn a lot of money, she eats her meals here all the time. She uses my home office to do her reports and surf on the net and of course do all her laundry here as well. And the dog more or less live with us all the time now.....

Look at the bright side of this - as you said your daughter moved 17 blocks away, not across the country. She gets a chance to stand on her own feet, while you're still close enough to help should she stumble and need help or advice.

Plus it's in Austin so it's like that but multiplied by 1000!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom