There's no integrity left in the NFL game. (1 Viewer)

I hate to believe this but I really believe the refs are instructed to make bogus calls if necessary to assist another team. Those calls late in the game were a joke.
Watch the interview with the crooked NBA ref, Donahue or whatever his name is. They aren’t told to make bogus calls, but are instructed what to focus on for each team. It’s obvious it’s true when we get so many ridiculous penalties at the worst moments.

First, let me say that the Raiders deserved to win. They played well; we played poorly.

However, the officiating was terrible. I don't understand how SaintJ, who I appreciate greatly as a poster, could say the calls went both ways. After forcing an Oakland punt, we were driving on our first possession of the second half when we were derailed by three penalties in four plays, including the hold on Ramczyk and the "blindside block" on Sanders. I don't remember the other penalty, the holding on McCoy, but the other two penalties, at least, should not have been called.

Also atrocious was the PI on Jenkins. The ball was not catchable. It was clearly overthrown. Go to the link and FFwd to 8:47. The ball was 5+ yards too long. And that effectively ended the game. Terrible call.

Penalties have become part of the game and at some point you have to accept that fact but what galls me is that more often than not they are not called fairly.

The Saints did commit some dumb and very costly penalties at times but I saw at least a half dozen penalties that the Raiders committed and were not called.

I saw one play where Malcolm Roach was literally tackled by an offensive lineman holding onto him for dear life and of course there was no call.

I know that calls will be made but at least give both teams a fair shake.

After the first quarter it was plainly evident that there was no way the Raiders were going to lose in their grand opening of the new stadium!!

First, let me say that the Raiders deserved to win. They played well; we played poorly.

However, the officiating was terrible. I don't understand how SaintJ, who I appreciate greatly as a poster, could say the calls went both ways. After forcing an Oakland punt, we were driving on our first possession of the second half when we were derailed by three penalties in four plays, including the hold on Ramczyk and the "blindside block" on Sanders. I don't remember the other penalty, the holding on McCoy, but the other two penalties, at least, should not have been called.

Also atrocious was the PI on Jenkins. The ball was not catchable. It was clearly overthrown. Go to the link and FFwd to 8:47. The ball was 5+ yards too long. And that effectively ended the game. Terrible call.

The PI on Lattimore was awful as well I thought. Can’t get better coverage. Our DB’s just need to flop when they get pushed like defenders do on Jared Cook.

One thing I saw that was majorly missed (at the 1:16 mark)...Onyemata breaks through the middle of the line and someone gets a major facemask on him that is not called. Sure, we got the sack, but that's our luck.

I think all the pass interference calls against the Saints yesterday were legit. If the refs don't call those the defenders will just get worse with their grabbing/holding and it would ruin the game even more than the PI calls. However, I feel the refs could call more offensive pass interference, though I didn't see any yesterday. As for the claim the ball was uncatchable so it should nullify the PI, it's hard to say if it was catchable when the receiver is being held/grabbed/slowed down.

What frustrates me about defensive PI penalties is when the WR puts his hands on the outside of the DB's pads, clearly grabbing to get position, so the DB does the same and gets called for PI. If the WR makes contact first, it should be OPI, offsetting, or nothing at all.
This, all day!

If I remember correctly, didn't Goodell say after last season that there would be a "top to bottom" review of the officiating in the NFL?

Well..........

It's to the point where you can't even react to a play. Any of them... You now have to wait. Even up 5 seconds AFTER the play to see if a flag gets thrown. Every hit and every pass downfield. I have really noticed it this year. I witness an amazing display of physical talent and skill, (which is what we watch for!) and yet I sit there, in silence, scanning the field or staring at the score bar waiting for the yellow graphic to pop up. Every touchdown. Every third down conversion. Every long throw.

It fricking sucks. It's not entertaining.

I hate that something I LOVED as a kid and had such a passion for is now just stressful, aggravating and dumbfounding.

The players make it worse. Every. Single. Play. There are players with their hands out "shocked" there's no flag.

It is just a garbage product. Pure and simple.

I think all the pass interference calls against the Saints yesterday were legit. If the refs don't call those the defenders will just get worse with their grabbing/holding and it would ruin the game even more than the PI calls. However, I feel the refs could call more offensive pass interference, though I didn't see any yesterday. As for the claim the ball was uncatchable so it should nullify the PI, it's hard to say if it was catchable when the receiver is being held/grabbed/slowed down.

Go back and watch the PI on Jenkins to seal the game. If a WR pushes off to create separation, and the DB TOUCHES that arm, that is not PI. The WRs arm shouldn’t have been extended to create separation to begin with. If you are catching a ball in front of you, over your head, why would your arm be extended behind you?

The rest of them, fine. Some of them ticky tack but ok. The Jenkins PI was not the right call.

Last edited:
Anytime there’s that significant of a difference from one team to the other in terms of penalties, the red flags should be raised.

Saints - 10 penalties for 129 yds
Raiders - 3 penalties for 13 yards

Are you telling me the Raiders played that much cleaner of a game Monday night?!? I know it’s not the case, because I saw (with my own eyes) numerous holding penalties against the Raiders O-line that went unflagged.

The illegal blind-side block on Emmanuel Sanders came on a play where Kamara had just made a very nice play that put the Saints into Raiders territory for what would have been a manageable down and distance already on the cusp of FG range!... instead, it’s a 15 yard penalty that turned a potential 1st down conversion on the next play, or makeable FG chance, into a punt.
There was another 3rd and long for the Raiders that could have gone either way with the hand-checking by Lattimore and Waller on each other, that of course went against the Saints and turned into a drive extending Raiders 1st down.

Then of course, there was the PI on Janoris Jenkins... on an uncatchable ball to Ruggs, that Carr appeared to be just throwing away because of pressure... that play turned a 3rd and long outside of FG range (in crunch time and momentum in the Saints favor) into a fresh set of downs in FG range... and essentially sealed the victory for Vegas.

I know many will look at this and just chalk it up to me crying and making excuses for the Saints loss... and there’s no denying the Saints played poorly for the final 3 Q’s...

BUT... if the NFL wanted to influence the outcome of the game to give the Vegas market a boost and ignite an absent fan base, how could they do it? Penalizing one team far more than the other is the most likely way... A discrepancy of that amount in penalty yardage between teams is uncommon...

The worst part is that in order to justify the enormous penalty yardage, the refs will likely focus even more on the Saints moving forward, and they will continue to get the laundry thrown in their direction because they want them to be viewed as a sloppy and undisciplined team.

It's to the point where you can't even react to a play. Any of them... You now have to wait.
qft
The players make it worse. Every. Single. Play. There are players with their hands out "shocked" there's no flag.
not sure why the league doesn't treat celebrity begging as unsportsmanlike conduct, nor why officials feel cowed by these tantrums

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom