There's room for both optimism and realism (and something else to remember) (1 Viewer)

perret318

Runnin like a road lizard
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First things first: 0-2 is not where we wanted to be after games against 2 beatable opponents. That being said, the following points are also worth considering.

- The total margin of victory for those 2 games is 4 points. The Saints competed in both games, so there's plenty there to build on.

- The offense shined against the Raiders. The defense shined against the Giants. The two main pieces are there, the staff and the team just needs to find a way to put them together and play complementary football.

- The Bucs, Falcons, and Panthers are all 1-1. That puts the Saints one game back with an entire season to go. We're in a hole, but it's a shallow one. Take care of business in our division games against three teams that have already shown they can be beaten, and that's all it takes.

Of course, it's not all sunshine and daisies. Injuries are already piling up. The rest of the division, while flawed, are no pushovers. And I think it's safe to say that this team has a confidence problem.

Do I think that the team will turn it around and race to a 14-2 finish? Of course not. This team has shown flashes that would indicate that it could end up in a battle for top of the NFC South, but also exposed its flaws that could lead to another disappointing sub-8-win season. At this point, it's anyone's guess really, and it's totally up to the staff and players to show what kind of season they want to have.

So where does that leave you and me?

Personally, I'm going to enjoy each win, however sparse or narrow they might be. As for the inevitable losses that will come our way this year, here's my advice: Take a moment to look around at the people you're watching the game with. Your family, friends, that random guy that you don't know but shares your passion for the Black & Gold. Take a moment and realize that whatever the numbers on the scoreboard are when the clock hits 00:00, you're alive. You're alive, and you just got to spend three hours watching Saints football with people you love and the rest of the greatest fanbase in the NFL. Eat, drink, laugh, and cheer. That's what football is all about.

Good post. At the end of the day it's just a game. I'm huts happy I have a home team to root for and not a team looking to pack up and leave due to money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have resigned myself to enjoying aspects of the game and envisioning a day when we put it all together.

Today i was looking at our LBs and how well they tackled the Giants Rbs on the goalline multiple times. Even our DL got penetration.

Bell, Robertson, Mauti, Davison, Fairley, Jordan, Byrd played well.

On offense we were just not in sync.

Either they didn't install enough zone cover 2 busters or they couldn't execute or the pressure was too much (but i thought the OL blocked pretty well for most part)

The gameplan was poor. We probably should've run more with hightower and even lasco. I want to see us use Unger, Peat, Amstead in the run game where they will excel.

Keep in mind once we add another OL we will have a young powerful group (except Unger who's 30).

The margin of victory doesn't matter when the team is making the same mistakes they've been making for years. Going 0-2 isn't the problem. Going 0-2 and looking like nearly the exact same team that's been sucking for years is the problem. As far as the team learning to play complimentary football, they could have learned that last year or the year before. This is at least year three of rebuilding and they haven't fixed ****. Same old BS. How many years do we need to rebuild?

Here is a novel idea: Hand the ball off to Ingram 20 times.

I know, I know, it's crazy. But let's give it a shot.

Great observation. I have friends who know that I am a passionate Saints fan and they don't understand why I don't get mad or depressed when the team loses.

I just tell them as simply as they will probably ever understand that it's just a game and NFL football on Sunday is but a mere distraction.

I've been through more hurricanes than I can count and recently lost everything I owned in the flooding in Baton Rouge so there are FAR bigger issues to be depressed about than my favorite team losing a game on Sunday.

First things first: 0-2 is not where we wanted to be after games against 2 beatable opponents. That being said, the following points are also worth considering.

- The total margin of victory for those 2 games is 4 points. The Saints competed in both games, so there's plenty there to build on.

- The offense shined against the Raiders. The defense shined against the Giants. The two main pieces are there, the staff and the team just needs to find a way to put them together and play complementary football.

- The Bucs, Falcons, and Panthers are all 1-1. That puts the Saints one game back with an entire season to go. We're in a hole, but it's a shallow one. Take care of business in our division games against three teams that have already shown they can be beaten, and that's all it takes.

Of course, it's not all sunshine and daisies. Injuries are already piling up. The rest of the division, while flawed, are no pushovers. And I think it's safe to say that this team has a confidence problem.

Do I think that the team will turn it around and race to a 14-2 finish? Of course not. This team has shown flashes that would indicate that it could end up in a battle for top of the NFC South, but also exposed its flaws that could lead to another disappointing sub-8-win season. At this point, it's anyone's guess really, and it's totally up to the staff and players to show what kind of season they want to have.

So where does that leave you and me?

Personally, I'm going to enjoy each win, however sparse or narrow they might be. As for the inevitable losses that will come our way this year, here's my advice: Take a moment to look around at the people you're watching the game with. Your family, friends, that random guy that you don't know but shares your passion for the Black & Gold. Take a moment and realize that whatever the numbers on the scoreboard are when the clock hits 00:00, you're alive. You're alive, and you just got to spend three hours watching Saints football with people you love and the rest of the greatest fanbase in the NFL. Eat, drink, laugh, and cheer. That's what football is all about.

Well done.

We are a rebuilding team with a great QB. It's better then watching a rebuilding team with a lousy QB. At least we have a shot at seeing a good game most weeks. This one was an anomaly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom