These guys really are wild with the draft stories... (1 Viewer)

They are talking about things that mean a lot to the players. Things that helped shaped them. Sorry it makes you feel a certain way. Smh, it makes you uncomfortable to hear their tragedy? Just here to entertain you?
Cue the piano

They are talking about things that mean a lot to the players. Things that helped shaped them. Sorry it makes you feel a certain way. Smh, it makes you uncomfortable to hear their tragedy? Just here to entertain you?
Yes, these football players making millions are here to entertain me. That's exactly how this works.

They are even putting up in the player’s stats. It’s totally inappropriate.

DE
6’3”
Alabama
4.7 sec 40
Graduated with a 3.5 in Basket Weaving
Dad killed himself but didn’t do it on purpose they change his blood pressure medicine. Mom was lost at sea. Has tattoos of both.

Bc it makes you want to root for the players bc of the tragedies they have endured. I sure don’t want to root for the silver spoon fed fool, that has had everything, and now has more. Give me the kids that has overcame adversity darn it😂

Bc it makes you want to root for the players bc of the tragedies they have endured. I sure don’t want to root for the silver spoon fed fool, that has had everything, and now has more. Give me the kids that has overcame adversity darn it😂

So its reducing them to being nothing more than tools for cynical media driven emotional manipulation is what you're saying.

I produce / direct ESPN + games a dozen or so times a year and we’re graded on our “story telling” more than how well camera operators follow the ball or how well I direct. They want to see player stories, connecting coaches with histories, etc. and are told specially not to build packages of just game highlights for roll-outs to make sure there is a lot of “color” which is like crowd shots, P'Oed off coaches and celebrations. The emphasis is on entertainment outside of the lines to appeal to fringe viewers not fanatics so, yeah, they are doing everything they can to develop characters for storylines in the draft as well.

I produce / direct ESPN + games a dozen or so times a year and we’re graded on our “story telling” more than how well camera operators follow the ball or how well I direct. They want to see player stories, connecting coaches with histories, etc. and are told specially not to build packages of just game highlights for roll-outs to make sure there is a lot of “color” which is like crowd shots, P'Oed off coaches and celebrations. The emphasis is on entertainment outside of the lines to appeal to fringe viewers not fanatics so, yeah, they are doing everything they can to develop characters for storylines in the draft as well.
So I get it. I totally understand what they're doing and why they're doing it. They don't seem to understand though that to do it for every other draft pick it becomes a parody. These are all great stories, but pick like 3-4 per round and save the rest for preseason.

So I get it. I totally understand what they're doing and why they're doing it. They don't seem to understand though that to do it for every other draft pick it becomes a parody. These are all great stories, but pick like 3-4 per round and save the rest for preseason.
Yeah, it sure does seem like every pick🤔

If everyone has a tragic story, then no one has a tragic story.

Personally, after the telling of the tragic story, I think they should add something like "thankfully, he was blessed with superior genetics and athleticism, unlike y'all thousands of scrawny, 5'5" 2 left footer losers who couldn't even get into college because you couldn't afford it, who also lost your dads, your moms, and your dogs in situations featured on 1000 Ways to Die"

I think for those of us cynics, we basically call BS on ESPN's sympathy for these players. I'm glad the players get their stories told and have their moment, but that's not why ESPN does this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom