These next two games ... SF and Dallas (1 Viewer)

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The saints defense has a big problem with teams who are effective establishing the run and thus play action. Both SF and especially Dallas have the ability to exploit the saints in this area. I don't mind giving them the running plays but the saints DB's must play the pass first. They cannot let momentum build for the opposing offense.

the Dallas game is especially scary but the 1 thing that keeps my hope up is that we can easily exploit Dallas' defense as well. expect a shootout gang!

The 49'rs were a tad unlucky against the Rams. Especially the ref's reversed call on the fumble return for a TD. Gore looked really powerful and will get at least 1 big run in. I just hope our red zone defense can contain him, because A Smith will not beat us through the air. I hope our CB's are practising INT's!!!

we must put pressure on Alex, put 8 in the box and make them beat us with through the air. Gore will pound us all day if not

If you look back over the season, I think something that stands out is that the Saints have problems with teams that are balanced, and play well vs teams w/o balance. They struggle vs the run against teams that are a threat to throw.

San Fran is pretty one dimentional, and wont cause a young saints defense to guess as much. They shouldn't give the saints the kind of problems that the dallas offense will with thier balanced attack. Sounds simple, but it is something that I believe.

I have not watched a 49'ers game all season, i just know Frank Gore has some great highlight runs, but is prone to fumble. Will Smith will strip his *ss in the redzone, deflating their offense, and team.

The saints defense has a big problem with teams who are effective establishing the run and thus play action. Both SF and especially Dallas have the ability to exploit the saints in this area.

This describes pretty much every defense except the Bears and Ravens.

As another poster above pointed out, we (as any decently coached bunch should) do better against more one-dimensional teams. We've succeeded when there's been one or two things we can take away (Droughns and Edwards, Green and Driver, Dunn and Crumpler) and make people beat us with their third option. The Steelers and Bengals just had too many weapons those weeks.

While our defense has given up a decent amount of yards (17th in the league), only in two games (well, maybe the Ravens, but that was just a team beat-down) did the defense really get well-shredded. The 49ers really haven't scored a lot on any decent teams this year, and they've been thumped pretty hard, especially on the road, by the better teams. While they're clearly outperforming W-L expectations, and a young team might be coming in loose, I am confident about a win on Sunday.

If you look back over the season, I think something that stands out is that the Saints have problems with teams that are balanced, and play well vs teams w/o balance. They struggle vs the run against teams that are a threat to throw.

San Fran is pretty one dimentional, and wont cause a young saints defense to guess as much. They shouldn't give the saints the kind of problems that the dallas offense will with thier balanced attack. Sounds simple, but it is something that I believe.

Sometimes, the simplest observations are the best. Even in the NFL, offenses have difficulty reestablishing their identity in midseasno. SF is a run first, run second, and then and only then pass team. Even if we give up some yardage to Gore, I think our D is just good enough to make them work for their points. I'm confident about Sunday's game not only because SF is one dimensional offensively, but also because our offense is starting to gel and SF has not played well on the road. If we can avoid turnovers again and keep balance in our offense, I think we'll win this game. Dallas, however, will be a much tougher opponent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom