Thing to do in San Diego? (1 Viewer)

Right now we are thinking of doing the Zoo (possibly both sides but please let me know if one side or the other is not worth it). My oldest daughter is interested in horses, so we were thinking a beach horseback ride. Of course the beaches and waterfront. I want to check out Gaslamp District, possibly the USS Midway (might get vetoed by girls) and Balboa Park. We are not affraid to drive around a bit. Some of you mentioned lighthouses, I think that would be interesting and something we haven't done.

What is the best part of town to stay in? We haven't booked anything yet. Also, what are some can't miss places to eat?

P.S. After looking around a bit, I'm considering staying in La Jolla. Is this a good idea?[/QUOTE]

The lighthouse at Point Loma is worth seeing. As for where to stay I would recommend Mission Valley. Lots of hotels, Qualcomm Stadium, and Mission Valley and Fashion Valley malls are in that area. You can catch the Trolley there and get to a lot of attractions: Mission San Diego, Qualcomm Stadium, Petco Park, Gaslamp and more are all accessible via the Trolley.
As to eating, definintely go to Anthony's Fish Grotto along the waterfront. One of the more famous restaurants there. We took our visiting family there to eat.
La Jolla is a very nice area, most of the wealthy folks in SD live in that area. I am not familiar with what hotels are in that area. I've been out there to the mall, movie theatres, etc. It is a bit north of San Diego proper so you'd have to drive into SD for most of what you want to see and do.

The final descent into SD airport always scares the **** out of me.

The final descent into SD airport always scares the **** out of me.

Flying into LAX and driving to San Diego. It's much cheaper and gives us a chance to hit Disney California Adventure's new Car's land on the way home.

We were looking into condos on Mission Beach, but ended up booking a hotel on Shelter Island.

Looking forward to eating at In-And-Out Burger. Please keep the restaurant suggestions coming.

Thanks for the ideas! My girls are 11 and 16. We have done SeaWorld in San Antonio and Orlando in the last 5-6 years, so they decided against SeaWorld. We also went to Disney for Mardi Gras, so Disneyland is out, however, they want to see the new Radiator Springs area in Disney California Adventure so we might go there. Plus, it's much cheaper to fly into LA so we could either do it the first day or last day. Legoland was also vetoed.

Right now we are thinking of doing the Zoo (possibly both sides but please let me know if one side or the other is not worth it). My oldest daughter is interested in horses, so we were thinking a beach horseback ride. Of course the beaches and waterfront. I want to check out Gaslamp District, possibly the USS Midway (might get vetoed by girls) and Balboa Park. We are not affraid to drive around a bit. Some of you mentioned lighthouses, I think that would be interesting and something we haven't done.

What is the best part of town to stay in? We haven't booked anything yet. Also, what are some can't miss places to eat?

P.S. After looking around a bit, I'm considering staying in La Jolla. Is this a good idea?

legoland is kind of a letdown imo and I even love legos... the ride on the train from San Diego to LA is awesome, great visuals of the ocean and coast on one side mountains on the other. Universal studios in LA fun, hollywood, La Jolla is my favorite area of San Diego. I get a kick out of the sseals every time I go. Midevil times!.. lol well I like it. Holla at me if you play golf! I aint as good as I once was but I still love to hack it up :)

Just flew home from San Diego, logged into SR and happened to see this thread.. I stayed at the Marriott Marquis, right on the water and it was beautiful-- but unfortunately was there for work so didn't get to enjoy it much .. It's a special kind of torture when you're trapped in seminars and classes all day, but they have you overlooking boats, water and sunshine.. Did get to eat at a decent restaurant in the Gaslamp though.. Would like to go back when I have more leisure time.. Oh, and did get my first In n Out burger in years when we spent the prior weekend in Los Angeles.. So good.

Just getting a bit of work done on our last morning in San Diego before the family wakes up. I have to say, San Diego looks nothing like I expected, but it is an amazing city. We all had a great time and loved it very much. We ended up going to the Zoo, the Safari Park, Sea World, Point Loma, Mission Beach, and Scripps Park in La Jolla. We stayed at the Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island and I am glad we did. We found some very good restaurants in this area and the hotel was great. The best place we ate was a little italian restaurant called Pomodoro's. Wow was it amazing! We even ate there again last night because everyone enjoyed it so much. I highly recommended it to anyone living or visiting San Diego.

Now we are driving back to LA to see a few things and to hit Disney California Adventure tomorrow. We are staying in the Disneyland Hotel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom