Things That Make You Feel Old (7 Viewers)

Just remembered to add- i am so old that my first sports love, again at the age of 4- was a basketball team called the New Orleans Jazz.. used to attend games at the Superdome all the time , and even though we also went to a lot of Saints & Tulane games, the Jazz were #1 for me.. broke my heart when they moved the team to that hotbed of jazz, Salt Lake City … my attention then turned to the Saints, and whatever was left of my heart was further pulverized a couple years later when Archie got traded .. all that stuff literally seems like another lifetime , that happened to someone else- so long ago it all was .

Also, i was pressured by family to switch from being a Tulane fan to an LSU fan at the age of 7, so that ended the Tulane thing for good .

When i was 4, the Beatles still ruled the charts ;)

I became a Beatles fan at the age of 7- woke up before school one morning to the news that some guy named Lennon was shot, and i was like ‘Whats all the fuss about?’.. dontcha know that afternoon, Moms picked me up from school with a Beatles coffee table book and two albums- a Hard Days Night and Beatles Live at Shea Stadium.. i was hooked.. and back then the Beatles seemed like a phenomenon that happened SO long ago- when in reality, they only broke up a couple years before i was born .

Just remembered to add- i am so old that my first sports love, again at the age of 4- was a basketball team called the New Orleans Jazz.. used to attend games at the Superdome all the time , and even though we also went to a lot of Saints & Tulane games, the Jazz were #1 for me.. broke my heart when they moved the team to that hotbed of jazz, Salt Lake City … my attention then turned to the Saints, and whatever was left of my heart was further pulverized a couple years later when Archie got traded .. all that stuff literally seems like another lifetime , that happened to someone else- so long ago it all was .

Also, i was pressured by family to switch from being a Tulane fan to an LSU fan at the age of 7, so that ended the Tulane thing for good .
I was at the game Pete dropped 68 points on the knicks. Earl the Pearl cam up to Walt Frazier and said Are you having
trouble man? Frazier said, do you want to guard this man?

I am so old that i saw the original Star Wars film on its first release- *in a movie theater*.. i was 4 yrs old.

I am so old that i can remember singing along to Frampton Comes Alive the summer it was #1 on the charts , on 8 track, in my dad’s van with shag carpet.. i was 2 yrs old, but i remember it like it was last month .

I am so old that when i tell people i went to school with Shaquille O’Neal, they look at me like ‘Damn, you cant possibly be that old’.. but it’s true, my first year at LSU was his last.. of course, it was him, me and like 20,000 other people .. but i saw him around campus quite a bit and we’d exchange the old head nod, lol .
How did you recognize him?

I became a Beatles fan at the age of 7- woke up before school one morning to the news that some guy named Lennon was shot, and i was like ‘Whats all the fuss about?’.. dontcha know that afternoon, Moms picked me up from school with a Beatles coffee table book and two albums- a Hard Days Night and Beatles Live at Shea Stadium.. i was hooked.. and back then the Beatles seemed like a phenomenon that happened SO long ago- when in reality, they only broke up a couple years before i was born .
I remember my Mom telling me while crying so hard. It was a moment that was lost on an eight year old.

But the important part is- Did you, or did you not, get FREE FRIES ?? iykyk
I can't remember lol. It was the greatest performance I've ever seen live though. Imagine if a 3 point line was part
of the rules when the pistol was in his prime.

One more. I learned how to drive on a 3 speed on the column. My grandma's car with a 327. Man that car would fly lol

I've been adulting at the cemetery this week. It never sunk in that my Maternal Grandmother died at 51 with a heart problem. I'm 51 with a stent.
I remember the day I was thinking about being older than the ages of both of my grandmothers at their deaths and realized that subconsciously I had always thought I'd die young, too, so why bother to take care of myself? Now, I had already begun taking steps to eat better and exercise more; but since I had that thought, it's helped cement even more that since I'm NOT going to die as young as them, I should probably try and be as healthy as I can. So while I felt older, that didn't mean I could't still feel good. And I haven't lived as long as my mother yet (that's when I'll really feel old).

But the important part is- Did you, or did you not, get FREE FRIES ?? iykyk
There was a Burger King on Vets right by 17th st canal - I begged my dad to let us go there for the fries even though it was late (probably the latest I’d been up to that point)
Thems were good fries!

I've been adulting at the cemetery this week. It never sunk in that my Maternal Grandmother died at 51 with a heart problem. I'm 51 with a stent.

You know that you're old when you are able to justify to yourself that spending thousands on that kind of stuff is worth it.
Wow. You’re younger than me? That really makes me feel old…
:run:

You know that you're old when you are able to justify to yourself that spending thousands on that kind of stuff is worth it.

I remember the day I was thinking about being older than the ages of both of my grandmothers at their deaths and realized that subconsciously I had always thought I'd die young, too, so why bother to take care of myself? Now, I had already begun taking steps to eat better and exercise more; but since I had that thought, it's helped cement even more that since I'm NOT going to die as young as them, I should probably try and be as healthy as I can. So while I felt older, that didn't mean I could't still feel good. And I haven't lived as long as my mother yet (that's when I'll really feel old).

I feel this. My maternal grandmother died at 45 due to leukemia, my maternal grandfather at around 48 for some sort of cancer, and my father-in-law at 45 due to a non-smoking related lung cancer.

I turn 39 in August. Making a conscious effort to be healthier and live longer than they did is a constant thought in my head.

On the other hand, my dad is going strong at 70 and my mom is in decent shape at 58, so I think I've still got some decent time left.

I turn 39 in August. Making a conscious effort to be healthier and live longer than they did is a constant thought in my head.
Exactly. Look, you want to enjoy life but that's sort of the whole point. The more you abuse your body now, the less your quality of life will be if you hang around a lot longer than you thought. As my and my husband's parents got older (and even dealing with aging pets), "quality of life" became a key thought. If you're bedridden for the last umpteem years as my FIL was, sort of just what is the point of still breathing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom