Things That Make You Feel Old (11 Viewers)

Just read an article about the 93 yr old founder of Home Depot (not the Falcons’ owner, the other co-founder).. anyway, this old guy seems like a real piece of work, railing against ‘wokeism’ and Harvard and everything else, but i digest.. the real takeaway for me was that the article said he started Home Depot in the year 1978.. now im no mathematician, but i started to do some quick math and i realized that when this 93 yr old dude started Home Depot - he was the same age i am now ! I mean, i can actally remember 1978, pretty damn well, actually.. and to think that in that exact same amount of time that i remember 1978 to now, and if i extrapolate that amount to 45 yrs from now- ill be 93 FREAKING YEARS OLD (!!!).. and guess what, there’s no guarantee ill even make it that long…. Excuse me, i need to go lay down .

Just read an article about the 93 yr old founder of Home Depot (not the Falcons’ owner, the other co-founder).. anyway, this old guy seems like a real piece of work, railing against ‘wokeism’ and Harvard and everything else, but i digest.. the real takeaway for me was that the article said he started Home Depot in the year 1978.. now im no mathematician, but i started to do some quick math and i realized that when this 93 yr old dude started Home Depot - he was the same age i am now ! I mean, i can actally remember 1978, pretty damn well, actually.. and to think that in that exact same amount of time that i remember 1978 to now, and if i extrapolate that amount to 45 yrs from now- ill be 93 FREAKING YEARS OLD (!!!).. and guess what, there’s no guarantee ill even make it that long…. Excuse me, i need to go lay down .
Don't get up too fast.

They also sold general admission tickets for $2.50…
In the late 60’s I was a junior Oriole. For 1.75 you got 9 bleacher seats for any O’s home game (had to be accompanied by a paying adult-thanks dad!) plus an Orioles bumper sticker and other paraphernalia.

That’s a lot to digress

It not things that make me feel old. I don’t pine too much for my daily-driver Camaro with its need for at least twice-annual tuneups, 15k mile bias ply tires, and numerous rattles.

I pine for the unshakable belief I had while driving that Camaro that things would always get better, even when they were already good.

Don’t get that feeling much these days.

Last edited:
It not things that make me feel old. I don’t pine too much for my daily-driver Camaro with its need for at least twice-annual tuneups, 15k mile bias ply tires, and numerous rattles.

I pine for the unshakable belief I had while driving that Camaro that things would always get better, even when they were already good.

Don’t feel that much these days.
What's bad is that kids don't feel like things will get better.

They dont ? Im not disputing what youre saying, and i dont have much of a sample size to go by, only the teens and college-aged kids in my family- but it’s hard to imagine that they dont have the sense of optimism and ‘conquer the world’ spirit in 2023 that kids have had throughout time immemorial .

The young kids that I work with are angry about how far behind they are compared to us, and our parents when we were their age. They realize that the system is stacked against them.

I agree with them. My first house just sold for triple what I paid for it. If I were trying to buy my current house, I couldn't afford it. Same employer, higher position, above average money.

A lot of them live with their parents so that they can save money. Our entry level pays $24 per hour. Rent/car/food/insurance/etc. They can make it, but they won't be able to save for anything. Rent, for a 1 bedroom apartment around here is more than what I pay for my house. It reminds me of the 70's but I don't know if things will get better this time.

My son is a junior in college. He has that optimism I had at that stage of life. I really hope things work out for Carter and his generation. By and large his optimism is shared by his friends. I do get a different vibe from others of his age group though who don't have a leg up in life like he does.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom