Things That Make You Feel Old (7 Viewers)

just listing on the Jobs thread made me feel old.

Writing insurance for a client who tells me his DOB is 1989 ( year i graduated high school ) or 1990s. I keep forgetting they are in their late 20s early 30s lol

oh yeah and my 12 year old daughter who is quick to remind me i will be 55 when she graduates High School.
Just think, I'm just turning a bit crusty and in 1989 I was in 3rd grade. ;)

Book stores and record stores are making a comeback as a *novelty*. It’s retro.

Friday nights, hitting up my local video store, renting your own movies and games was a rite of passage.

Last November I went to Nola to visit family (my wife went to Taiwan with her Ti Chi group). I always try to take a day and visit some old haunts, so I went to UNO and walked around, bought a UNO hoodie and marveled at how much had changed since the late 80's. The business building and the library were still familiar but that was about it!!!! Yeah, that made me feel old.....

from Cracked

One of mine was years ago. I was driving past my old high school, that wasn't odd at the time I had to drive past it every day to get to work

There were a bunch of kids waiting at the corner to cross the street. Looking at them it occurred to me that someone who was born on my first day of high school was now in high school. That was when I ws 27/28 so it didn't make me feel "old" but definitely made me realize that time was passing

Having trouble remembering what someone told me last week but having total recall of a sitcom theme song from 35 years ago

Something else I always hear was when you get to the point that you don't recognize the host or musical guest on Saturday Night Live - you're old

old1.jpg

old3.jpg

old2.jpg

I was just talking about this one last week, watching older movies and identifying more with the adults

Came across this talking about the Little Mermaid

mermaid.gif

Ariel: Daddy, I love him!

Me at 14: Yeah, girl, you tell him!

Me at 30:
old4.gif
At family gatherings and such, I would always be sure anybody older than me had a seat, and I would help them carry bundles in from the car. Its bittersweet to realize that I am now the one who is assured a seat, and my kids, nieces and nephews are rushing to carry my bundles. My son always insists on carrying my kayak, and pulling it out of the river for me. Things I used to always do for my children are being done for me. I'm 59.

Oh. Being "yes, ma'am"d by my nephew's GF. Told her she can call me "Miss Marsha" if she HAS to give me a title, but "ma'am" is totally off limits.

At family gatherings and such, I would always be sure anybody older than me had a seat, and I would help them carry bundles in from the car. Its bittersweet to realize that I am now the one who is assured a seat, and my kids, nieces and nephews are rushing to carry my bundles. My son always insists on carrying my kayak, and pulling it out of the river for me. Things I used to always do for my children are being done for me. I'm 59.
But clearly still fly

Last year I made a trip to see my dad in New Hampshire. A couple that were family friends my dads age in the late 70's heard I was going to be there so they made the trip up from Ct. We got to talking and I found out that their daughter that I used to babysit when she was 4 is now a grand mother!

When I read the "Today's Birthdays" section of the paper and after the first 6-7 people, I don't have any idea who these other people listed are. (they list them oldest to youngest)

When I read the "Today's Birthdays" section of the paper and after the first 6-7 people, I don't have any idea who these other people listed are. (they list them oldest to youngest)
When I read that someone still reads the "paper" to see "today's birthdays" and I didn't even remember that that was a thing.

Holding my granddaughter for the first time and realizing that I was now a "grandma"

Having colleagues at work who are 10 years younger than my daughter and who were born after I got my college degree and my first job...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom