Things to consider regarding Harper's cap number... (1 Viewer)

Professor

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I am posting this in anticipation that he will be asked to restructure, rather than being released. Why? Because if he is released, the cap savings will be a mere 1 million because of his total cap number (7.1 million), if he is released, the Saints will have 6.1 million in "dead" money on the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap-hit/

If he is restructured, the Saints will move a lot of that cap into a future year and can release him after this season with a better result. Not only that, but I believe Spags did not utilize Harper's strengths and allowed his weaknesses to be maginified in the scheme that Spags ran. As we all know, Harper is a liability as a pass defender. He is good at blitzing and when faced with a runner, he is a much better tackler (mostly because he is running to meet the RB, not trying to catch up with a receiver). He led the team in sacks in 2011. I can see him being better utilized as a blitzing SS or a backup OLB. If he restructures, his pay can be more commensurate with a backup player.

Therefore, don't everyone hit the roof if we hear his contract has been restructured. A restructuring would be able to clear more cap money this year, and make cutting him more financially feasible in the future.

Someone mentioned on another thread earlier something about declaring a "Post-June 1st" cut which would lower the dead money cap hit this year and leave it unaffected next year. I've never heard of it and don't know anything about it, but if anyone would like to explain it I'm all ears (or I guess eyes in this case).

Dunno why so many people dislike him. We are a weaker team without him. Drives me crazy when I see people wanting to cut this guy. He's done nothing but give us his A game and he's extremely involved in our community. He deserves better than many of you give him. Until and unless we draft a safety or pick someone up in free agency, we have no one better. Let's applaud his strengths, which are many, instead of picking on his weaknesses and crying to get rid of him.

Dunno why so many people dislike him. We are a weaker team without him. Drives me crazy when I see people wanting to cut this guy. He's done nothing but give us his A game and he's extremely involved in our community. He deserves better than many of you give him. Until and unless we draft a safety or pick someone up in free agency, we have no one better. Let's applaud his strengths, which are many, instead of picking on his weaknesses and crying to get rid of him.

I, for one, am not making any statement about his ability, really. It is true, though, that he is a liability in pass coverage, especially based on how he was used last season. That cannot be denied. I made this thread because I KNOW people will be hollering and screaming about it if he is restructured.

Just wanted to make that clear.

I don't care how good people think Harper is a 7.1 million Cap hit is insane.

Someone mentioned on another thread earlier something about declaring a "Post-June 1st" cut which would lower the dead money cap hit this year and leave it unaffected next year. I've never heard of it and don't know anything about it, but if anyone would like to explain it I'm all ears (or I guess eyes in this case).

In the old CBA, a team could save cap money by waiting to release a player after June 1. What that did/does is allow you to spread out the dead money between the current season and the following season.

As a part of the new CBA, so that players can have the opportunity to hit the market while the money is out there, it was agreed that teams will now be able to designate up to two players as "post-June 1" cuts, prior to being released on June 1.

If we release Harper, I am almost certain that this is what we'd do, to make the savings more beneficial.

We can then divide the $6.1 dead money between this year and next, which would result in close to $4m in cap savings this season.

I don't care how good people think Harper is a 7.1 million Cap hit is insane.

Agreed. But unfortunately and puzzlingly, we gave him an enormous contract. I think GW must have influenced Loomis too much in Harper's contract year.

Agreed. But unfortunately and puzzlingly, we gave him an enormous contract. I think GW must have influenced Loomis too much in Harper's contract year.

Good point. i wouldn't mind having him at a 2.5 million cap hit, but I agree with CitySaint that 7.1 is WAY too high. There are much better players on both offense and defense that should be making more, such as Jimmy Graham on offense and the recently restructured Curtis Lofton on defense.

People want to get rid of him because he is almost universally (outside of this board) considered one of the worst defensive players at their position in the league. Unfortunately we have 4-5 more (Jenkins, Robinson, Ellis, Smith, Shanle) that also fit that bill.

I'd cut him even if he was at the veteran minimum - biggest coach killer on a very bad defense

Nothing personal, I'm sure he's a great guy.

Oh I dunno, it could have something with him being at the top of the league in sacks and forced fumbles. /shrug

It puzzles me that so many people on this board hate him but most fans that I talk to outside of the interwebs love him. To listen to some on here, our coaches are stupid for even keeping him on the team.

Part of me wishes we'd cut him so you could have something actually valid to complain about. The dude is a stud.

People want to get rid of him because he is almost universally (outside of this board) considered one of the worst defensive players at their position in the league. Unfortunately we have 4-5 more (Jenkins, Robinson, Ellis, Smith, Shanle) that also fit that bill.

Care to back up that assertion with something other than your mouth? He's been to two pro bowls in the last 4 years so clearly there's a lot of folks who disagree with you. I think you need to look up the definition of the word "universally".

Care to back up that assertion with something other than your mouth? He's been to two pro bowls in the last 4 years so clearly there's a lot of folks who disagree with you. I think you need to look up the definition of the word "universally".

I was about to post the same. If anything more people here think he is poor

Oh I dunno, it could have something with him being at the top of the league in sacks and forced fumbles. /shrug

It puzzles me that so many people on this board hate him but most fans that I talk to outside of the interwebs love him. To listen to some on here, our coaches are stupid for even keeping him on the team.

Part of me wishes we'd cut him so you could have something actually valid to complain about. The dude is a stud.

It's easy to be top of the league in sacks when you blitz twice as much as the next guy. The reality is no other DC in NFL uses their SS like Williams used Harper. In Williams scheme that contract made sense but in any other scheme it's just dumb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom