Think the Saints are better than their record... (1 Viewer)

Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."

That's simple enough for me. They coulda, shoulda, woulda played better. They didn't.

Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are."

That's simple enough for me. They coulda, shoulda, woulda played better. They didn't.

This:9:

This is not a personality contest, we don't win points for looking good or "almost" winning. The only stat that matters is wins and losses.

Stats are good for analyzing how to get a next win or avoid a next loss, but at the end of the day, playoffs are on your wins and losses. No doubting we have talent and the product we see on the field is much better and leaves us more optimistic than past years, but they need to win. Period.

I love the direction we are heading, and truly believe if we can squeak in to the playoffs somehow, we would be a dangerous team, but we have to win to do that, not have pretty stats.

Just sayin':idunno:

The Saints are 4-6. That's how good/bad they are. We can speculate forever but like Bill Parcell's so famously said, you are what you're record says you are.

The Saints are not better than 4-6 or the record would show that.

The record is only worth to analyse what the saints are now but to analyse what they can be in the future other thing come into play too. That's the point. We are 4-6 now but when someone say we are better than the record says he means we can do better in the future not that we should/could/would have a better record right now.

This:9:

This is not a personality contest, we don't win points for looking good or "almost" winning. The only stat that matters is wins and losses.

Stats are good for analyzing how to get a next win or avoid a next loss, but at the end of the day, playoffs are on your wins and losses. No doubting we have talent and the product we see on the field is much better and leaves us more optimistic than past years, but they need to win. Period.

I love the direction we are heading, and truly believe if we can squeak in to the playoffs somehow, we would be a dangerous team, but we have to win to do that, not have pretty stats.

Just sayin':idunno:

The thing is those "pretty stats" might me worthless in regards to the games we already lost but they may mean we are close to turning a corner and start winning maybe next year or even this year.

I know the record says we're 4-6 but, I can't help but think that we are better than that! All of our losses have been by 7! A touchdown...It's the little things like turnovers and special teams that have killed us. If we can fix that....

I think at the end of the year you are what your record says you are. Right now there is reason for optimism and the chips aren't cashed yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck yes we are way better than what our record is. Our offense is better. Our defense is better than what's on paper. We should be at least 6-3. There is no question about it. This is a team that should be competing, not just for a playoff spot, but be in the NFC championship game. This is bothering me so much because of all the "WHAT IF" games. Last few years, I would blame talents and players. This year I put all this on coaching.

Heck yes we are way better than what our record is. Our offense is better. Our defense is better than what's on paper. We should be at least 6-3. There is no question about it. This is a team that should be competing, not just for a playoff spot, but be in the NFC championship game. This is bothering me so much because of all the "WHAT IF" games. Last few years, I would blame talents and players. This year I put all this on coaching.

:idunno:

Not 6-4? 7-3 isn't at all out of the question as being a real possibility considering the special special teams efforts and bad officiating combinations we've had in three of our losses.

If the record is the tell all, then each time we played a team with a better record, then we should definitely lose, because our record is what we are.
Bill Parcel quote is being horribly misused here. He is referring to be self- deluding themselves that their team is better than they are. Teams that consistently do not win don't win for a reason. However, this is what you discuss at the END OF THE SEASON. Right now the record has little bearing on the result of any game. To use another expression, your record is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. We are currently 4-6. There are 6 games remaining. We can go finish anywhere between 4-12 and 10-6. If continue to do the same things that led us to a 4-6 record, we can expect to finish 6-10. And yes, I do not care what the opponents record is. Like us, they are trying to improve as well.

Nothing is for certain until it is certain.

---

You are what your record says you are.

Were the Saints better than 7-9 last year?

Were they better than 7-9 the year before?

We're on course for the same record this year.
I agree that we are what our record says we are -- 4-6.
However, I don't agree that we're on course for 7-9 this year. I believe we're on course for 10-6 this year. I will always believe we will win every remaining game. I know we have the talent. If we stop believing, what's the point of being a fan?

We've lost 5 games by a total of 15 points, that will take the wind out of your sails all day long.

I think you can be worse than your record indicates. What about that win when the Bucs pulled their starters in the 2nd half when we were actually having a rough go of it. Probably would've been 6-10. And frankly that year, I felt that's about where our team was.

If that can hold true, I think you can be better too.

But the NFL doesn't give playoff bids based on how good you could be or aren't.

Turnovers are killing us!
Especially with the defense playing a lot better of late.

Weren't turning it over to start and the defense was terrible..now defense is playing good and we can't stop turning it over.

I think we're so close to righting this ship. Just hope it's not too late. Can finish 10-6..we'll see.

In their weighted team ratings, the Saints moved up to #12 overall and 7th best in the NFC. But even stronger -- in their estimated wins (explained below) -- the Saints project to have 6.5 wins.
I believe that you're misinterpreting what FO calls Estimated Wins.

From their Glossary page.... Estimated wins: The number of games that team should have won if it faced an average schedule of opponents and average luck, as determined by the Forest Index.

So FO is not projecting 6.5 wins for the Saints at season's end, they are projecting that the Saints should have had 6.5 wins at this point in the season if they faced an average schedule and had average luck.

Instead, they are at 4 wins... so they either faced more a tougher schedule of opponents thus far, which they have (FO-ranked 5th most difficult thus far)... and/or had less than average luck, which they have as well from my limited exposure.

Look at the Estimated Wins for all the teams.... none are more than 8.5 and DAL already has 9.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom