Thinking of moving to Denver (1 Viewer)

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OK, folks. Mrs. SBTB and I are strongly considering a move to Denver from Houston this Summer. So, give me your pros and cons from people who have spent significant time or lived in Denver.

Our primary reason for moving is my best friend. He lives out there and absolutely hates Houston. On the other hand I kind of like what little I know about Denver, but I've only ever driven through it. He recently got married and is about to start having kids and we want our kids to grow up around each other. So we figure since he would be miserable in Houston and we (probably) will enjoy Denver we may as well be the ones to make the move. The kids are excited because he's always been like a second Dad to them and they miss him since we moved from California four years ago. Plus they like the idea of living where it snows.

We found a good school district in an area we can afford (Aurora) and it's near where he lives. Work won't be an issue. Going rate for me looks to be just slightly higher (5-6k) more than I'm making here. Cost of living will jump a bit but nothing we can't afford.

What I'm wondering is what's the culture like? What types of things are there for kids? How difficult (expensive) is it to get seafood in the stores? Traffic? You know, all the quality of living stuff for a guy with a family. My friend was single before this summer and no kids so he tends to see things from a different perspective than me.

Colorado Avalanche.... you need no better reason. :hihi:

The only time I've been to CO was to Steamboat, but we loved it and are going to go back one day for sure and I'll be making a Avalanche homegame in the Pepsi Center one of these days.

Sorry I couldn't provide any "valuable" information, but I'm sure some other SRs will.

you won't turn into a broncos fan will you. I have had a few friends who lived there short term and the biggest gripe they had was the extreme change of weather. one day it could be 70 and sunny, next day snow then next sunny and 70. I think the traffic in and out is like any large city during rush hour but from what they have said its a nice place to live. good luck to ya.

It's cold.

I have family who haved lived in Longmont (I think they still live there) and they like it. My uncle is a teacher.

I think Seafood is very difficult to get for a decent price. My uncle brings back insane amounts, as in multiple ice chests full of stuff, when he makes a visit back here.

I know my cousins enuciate everything and speak very properly.:)

Same sports as down here my younger cousins play soccer, basketball, baseball.
That about ends my knowledge.
Good luck though.

our home company is in denver and greeley, i can ask around if you have some specific questions.

ive been in that are skiing a few times, steamboat. vail etc - those are great areas, skiing is a great sport but a costly one.

you also have cross country which is cheaper but lots more work lol

thats all i know - but can ask around should you want some more info

We have friends who have lived there for about 15 years. They are both from Baton Rouge, lived in Austin during grad school, and then have been in Denver ever since. They love it there. We've been to visit them a few times, and it seems like a great place to live. I think about the only negative thing you could say is that you are kind of isolated. There are many things to do in and around Denver/Boulder/the ski areas, etc., but if to you want to do any traveling, flying is the only way to get anywhere quickly.

I have two friends who moved out there from the New York area and they both tell me they won't live anywhere else. They love getting away from the humidity, the mountains and the Rocky Mountain time zone.

You may be surprised, living in Denver isn't all that much more expensive as living in Houston. Here's a pretty good calculator for determining how much income you'll need to maintain a comparable standard of living:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

our home company is in denver and greeley, i can ask around if you have some specific questions.

ive been in that are skiing a few times, steamboat. vail etc - those are great areas, skiing is a great sport but a costly one.

you also have cross country which is cheaper but lots more work lol

thats all i know - but can ask around should you want some more info

Thanks man, as time draws nearer I may have some questions for you to run by them. If they have kids I'd love to get their impression of the Denver schools.

I went cross country skiing a few times. No way I'll do downhill. I don't go that fast without metal around me and a seatbelt. :hihi: We'll probably start doing cross country though because my wife likes it too and it's good exercise.

I lived there for a couple for years, hence the user name.

It's fantastic. I regret leaving everyday.

Lots of sunshine, all the seasons. People are transplants, so everyone is friendly.

One thing that was an issue when we were there is that some of the outlying areas of Denver have grown so fast that civil services could not keep up. Police, EMT, firemen, etc., were all very understaffed.

There are quite a few members still living there that will hopefully chime in.

Get used to coca-cola, dr. pepper, etc., being called "pop". :hihi:

Seriously, we live here in the South due to family, but the nature of both our careers would allow us to live about anywhere there are good schools (which is why we live in the Cy-Fair ISD here in Houston). If I had to consider another part of the country, it would be either the North Carolina area or Colorado...mountains and four seasons of the year. :) Right now we're happy here, and don't want to rock the boat with my oldest son's schooling due to his autism, but Colorado would be a place I'd consider. I'd love to know how the school systems deal with special ed there.

Need%20An%20Ice%20Scraper.jpg

ap_denver_snow1_061222_ssh.jpg

temp.png

:)

Last edited:
As for the schools, Mike Hampton signed with the Rockies way back when because of the great school system. True Story!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom