THIS BOARD IS NOW CLOSED! We are now moving the discussions to the new https://madaboutpolitics.com site! (Title Edit) (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In accordance with the thread that I posted on this board in May (See announcement post quoted below) the time has come to move all political discussions to the new madaboutpolitics.com (MAP) site. Sometime late tomorrow night (Wednesday) we will officially launch Mad About Politics site.

The PDB board will be closed and archived, and links to the PDB will then redirect to the new site that we developed over the past year and have been testing over the last several weeks. It is important to understand that no further political discussion will be allowed on SaintsReport.com for reasons cited on the original announcement post quoted below. I am really hoping that you all will go over to MAP without any pre-conceived notions, register, and give it a chance.

When you register at MAP (Mad about Politics) you will be asked to declare an affiliation, which is optional. The options are conservative, moderate and liberal. Once you choose an affiliation you will be able to access the board of your choice. If you choose not to declare you will then have access to the undeclared board, which I just added at a members suggestion. You can change your selected affiliation later on, which will be moderated as we do not want members bouncing around just to see what is being posted on the other affiliate boards. Once you change it, it will not be so easy to change affiliation again.

Everyone will have access to the rest of the boards. Most have much the same rules that are similarly moderated to the boards here. The exceptions being the Main Community board and the Mud Pit..

The Main Community board (MCB) is one of those exceptions. The mission is to have that one board on the internet where opposing partisans can enter into meaningful discussion. To that end the rules concerning discourse and behavior are very restrictive on that specific board. When in doubt on whether or not a comment is over the line we are going to default on the side of caution and moderate the posts.

So we aren't going to allow anything to be said that we see as having a probability of causing the discourse to devolve into mud slinging or insult hurling. We are going to do our best to keep the discussion very civil. Those that show that they cannot abide by the strict behavioral rules will be booted from that board. The standards will be quite high on that particular board.

Unless the violation is so egregious that a member is banned from the site, once a members access is removed from the Main Community Board (MCB), that person can still participate on their chosen affiliate board as well as the other public boards.

The Mud Pit board is the other exception: The Mud Pit is where those of you that cannot discuss politics in a cordial manner can vent, argue and debate with far less moderation. Sort of the Locker Room of MAP.

Otherwise there is a World Political Discussion board, an EE board, and even a Religious & Philosophy discussion sub forum there. In addition there is a Debate Arena where we plan to hold structured debates later.

There are news feeds about the site that are automatically fed and remain current, a feed from fact checking entities and a POTUS twitter feed.

I am sure that it will evolve somewhat as time passes, but the vision is to try to bring a unique website and community to the internet with a model that has yet to be attempted.

It is my hope that you will all give it a fair chance. I can't do it without you and hopefully we can all build it into something special. There will be growing pains challenges, mistakes made, and we won't get everything right.

Please drop me a private message there if you have any issues, questions, or concerns.

-Andrus

Original announcement:
To our PDB regular participants and anyone otherwise interested...

Some of you may be aware that there have been some behind-the-scenes activities going on in an effort to negate the negative effect that Political discussion in the current climate has had on this New Orleans Saints fan site.

Too many members have left the site with statements to the effect that they have no desire to continue participating on the site due to a perceived political bias. Makes no sense to me being that this is a Saints fan site and not a political site, and I have never tried to influence the direction of the PDB other than trying to keep the discourse from getting out of hand... but still the exodus over politics has been real and ongoing. So we have been working on a solution that separates SR from politics, while providing a venue that not only keeps the current PDB groups together, but is also inviting to persons of all political affiliations on a far less localized stage.

There will be more details to follow in the coming week(s), but I wanted to reveal to you the direction we're going.

This political discussion board (the PDB) that you have enjoyed for the past several years is going to be archived (Read Only), and no new political discussion threads will be allowed on Saints Report. But the change will be a positive one: We have been listening to all of the feedback and as a result we are starting a brand new and self-supported standalone political discussion site using this same platform that we use here. The site will feature several new characteristics, including some that have been requested by PDB members, and others that I thought would be wonderful additions to foster exciting and compelling debate, while also maintaining the level of civil discussion and respect that we have always preferred in moderating political content on SR. Several staff members have been beta-testing some of the new features, and I still have some more work to do on it. I've got a coder that is now working finishing up the custom coding on it as well, and am just moved the site from the development server to it's own server.

The mission is to provide a venue where everyone of any political affiliation has a place at the table. There will be common boards. The main board will be named "Community Discussion Board" which will be moderated, and the Mud Pit which will be far less moderated will be for discussing and debating political issues, and also where all members can participate.

There will also be private discussion boards (Conservative, Moderate and Liberal) where members that declare their affiliation upon registration will be able to participate with more like-minded members without being exposed to the noise of the opposition. Basically, these are safe-zones. Otherwise, where common area boards are concerned there will be EE and World News Discussion boards.

If you don't declare affiliation when registering, then you will only view and participate on the common boards (Community Discussion, Mud Pit, EE, etc.). You will, however be able to select an affiliation later on, which will be moderated.

We are also seriously considering holding structured debates on a separate board, where each affiliation can pick teams to debate issues chosen by the staff.

Once the site is ready (estimated 2 weeks from now), we'll open it up to some of you for a couple of days to let you play around with the features and make sure that it all works well, and then we'll roll out the full new site to not only members here, but anyone else who would like to find a home for worthwhile and substantive discussion from every political perspective, in a fun, inviting, and civilized environment (other then the Mud Pit board). If you are interested in participating in the testing, drop me a PM/Conversation.

I hope you'll stay tuned as we roll out the new site, and please feel free to ask us any questions that you may have.

And I thank you all once again for all of the time, energy, and effort you have spent in participating on the PDB board, and I hope that you will continue your active participation and hopefully promotion on our new site, helping us make it a true destination for real and substantive political talk.

-Andrus

Last edited:

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Come on over the moderates . . . you know you want it.
I probably should be in moderate land, but it seemed like no one was there. That still the case?

I'll stay in flaming liberal land for now. At least there is chatter there.

You go to Heaven for the climate and Hell for the company.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I probably should be in moderate land, but it seemed like no one was there. That still the case?

I'll stay in flaming liberal land for now. At least there is chatter there.

You go to Heaven for the climate and Hell for the company.
One reason I think the moderate board is so sparsely utilized is that we pretty much put everything we're thinking in the main community forum without reservation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom