This Draft is absolutely critical for Loomis (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The Saints are coming off a season that featured the worst defense in NFL History. Obviously improvements have to be made to the defensive side of the ball. Some nice free agent signings have been a good start but the meat of the future is this coming Thursday's Draft. Let's face it...for all the good that Mickey Loomis has done for the Saints organization especially on the offensive side of the ball (I realize Sean Payton has some to do with that also) the defensive draft picks have left much to be desired. It can be argued that the defensive players drafted since 2008 have been one letdown after another, especially the top picks. From Sedrick Ellis, to Malcolm Jenkins, Patrick Robinson. Cameron Jordan gets a pass from me to this point because he showed great improvement in his 2nd season. Ellis, maybe was doomed from the start but he came nowhere near living up to his hype. Jenkins, while he has been a slightly above average player in my eyes he still has yet to prove his 14th overall pick worth. Robinson has been the biggest enigma I've ever seen in a Saints uniform...One minute he can make a nice play either against the run or in pass coverage, then the next he gets burned or he's slippin and fallin all over the place. I still believe he may get his star to shine brighter...I sure hope so...The last 2 years of drafts kinda feel incomplete because of the Ingram trade and Bountygate punishments which we still have to suffer through with no 2nd round pick this year....Bottom line I feel that Loomis MUST find at least two solid defensive starters in this draft or it could be a big hinderance going forward.

It could very well happen OP. This is the perfect draft to address any defensive needs because of its depth. We could get a day one starter in Sheldon Richardson/Star Lotulelei/Desmond Trufant/Alec Ogletree in the first round and have someone like Jamie Collins/Tank Carradine/Phillip Thomas/Bacarri Rambo fall to us in the third round. There's even late round prospects like Chase Thomas/Duke Williams/Joe Kruger/Byron Jerideau who could be sleepers to crack the final roster.

I'm excited to see what happens.

With what happened last year, you better believe everyone in that building has an enormous chip on their shoulders.

LMAO.. come on

Loomis is a numbers guy. He is by no means on the hot seat, and this is by no means critical for him. We started the offseason 20 million over the cap, Loomis has us around 3 million UNDER the cap. That was critical to him!! Thats it!! He proved his worth once again.

Loomis does not scout these guys, Loomis does not decide who we pick, and I would be shocked if Loomis had anything to do with the draft board at all. Loomis gets these guys under contract and keeps us under the cap.

I think the biggest problem since 2008 is we are on our 4th coordinator, we need some continuity and to keep Ryan around for a few years to build a defense and do what Sean Payton has done on offense. Sean P knows what he is looking for on offense, he identifies players that fit his system and Loomis gets them on the roster. We need our Sean Payton on defense, and I hope its Rob Ryan. We need a guy that can identify the players that fit his system, and work to their strengths. No more inept Gibbs, or rogue Williams, or square peg Spagnola. Ryan needs to be SP for the defense for Loomis to succeed.

Change the thread title to "critical to our D" and the red thumbing will stop. Like it's been said, Loomis gets them all under contract. He doesn't turn his choice in to the runner while Payton sits in the corner with his fingers crossed thinking "Please Mickey, pick right....please, Mickey, pick right"

Loomis handles all the numbers for us , he's not a football guy. our scouts & head coach have much to say about who we draft..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom