This entire defense has regressed (1 Viewer)

Count me in with those who say our defense has regressed. I have long feared that the missed tackle in the Minnesota playoff game would adversely affect the play of Marcus Williams. But today Williams and particularly Lattimore seem to have regressed since 2017 when they both looked like foundation players.

I watch games. I admittedly do not study them. But the Saints organization has placed emphasis in recent years on building a defense and giving Dennis Allen the talent needed to build a championship defense. The defense I have watched this year is not a championship defense and has not played up to its talent level. I have not been a supporter of Allen, thinking him a very average defensive coordinator. It is unfair to make judgments after three games. But unless this defense shows substantial improvement, 2021 will be a rebuilding year for us, and replacing Allen should be considered.

The entire defense is going to look bad when the defensive front looks bad. Jordan by this time last season had about multiple sack games. Now...I honestly only heard his name a few times. There rest of the front four has generally look BAD at pass defense. Hendrickson has made a few plays but outside of that there has essentially been no pass rush from the interior. Onyemata being out really hurt last week. Rankins quite frankly, is just not good. He is a space eating interior guy but he is pretty much a zero as a pass rusher. Davenport, god love him, has been a monumental bust. He was the Saints chance to take a step forward this season...and he's yet again hurt. It's just really difficult to image a scenario that he comes in a becomes a difference maker this season. Maybe he's pull a Hicks and pull a mid-career turn around...but I'm very skeptical that it will come during his time on the Saints.

The Saints have five 1st round picks dedicated to defensive players since the selection of Cam Jordan nine years ago...

2013: Vaccaro- didn't get a second contract
2015: Anthony- didn't get a second contract
2016: Rankins- heading toward bust
2017: Lattimore- great pick
2018: Davenport- heading toward bust
2019: Davenport- heading toward bust

Elephant in the room or not could be, and has, been debated ad nauseam. The fact is that MJ hasn't played up to the caliber that Von Bell did last year. Yes it's only a 3 game sample size and things could change. But it is what it is so far.
Actually I thought MJ played really well in the GB game. He wasn't very good in the LV game, but no one in our secondary was. What did you see in the Packers game that made you think he was so terrible?

The entire defense is going to look bad when the defensive front looks bad. Jordan by this time last season had about multiple sack games. Now...I honestly only heard his name a few times. There rest of the front four has generally look BAD at pass defense. Hendrickson has made a few plays but outside of that there has essentially been no pass rush from the interior. Onyemata being out really hurt last week. Rankins quite frankly, is just not good. He is a space eating interior guy but he is pretty much a zero as a pass rusher. Davenport, god love him, has been a monumental bust. He was the Saints chance to take a step forward this season...and he's yet again hurt. It's just really difficult to image a scenario that he comes in a becomes a difference maker this season. Maybe he's pull a Hicks and pull a mid-career turn around...but I'm very skeptical that it will come during his time on the Saints.

The Saints have five 1st round picks dedicated to defensive players since the selection of Cam Jordan nine years ago...

2013: Vaccaro- didn't get a second contract
2015: Anthony- didn't get a second contract
2016: Rankins- heading toward bust
2017: Lattimore- great pick
2018: Davenport- heading toward bust
2019: Davenport- heading toward bust
Cam is more consistent than elite at the position. He's at his best when there was pressure from the middle (Rankins/Onyemata) and the other side (Davenport when healthy). I still feel like this D can only support a good offense at best and cannot carry the team.

When I think of the dominate defenses in the league I see players - not coaches. We have NO leaders on defense. Did we get rid of them? That would be on the FO. I don't know. I read we have another rookie calling the defense. How can this be (if true). So, this is a shared blame on no leadership and failed coaching to put leaders on the field.

This defense needs time (which we don't necessarily have). We simply don't have a pass rush currently. If this doesn't change; we are in for a world of hurt. That being said, Davis balled out as usual, and MJ looked great against the Pack, IMO. He was all over Aaron Jones when he ran routes. I also didn't like Anzalone being out of position time after time when there was ANY sort of misdirection. Davis is supposed to be the heat seeking missile, and Anzalone is supposed to be the rangy, smart, cleanup guy. He just isn't up to that task at this point. We are simply asking too much of our corners right now with no pass rush (Packers were holding us ALL game on the interior). Janoris has looked much better overall after the first half of the Bucs game. I think teams are picking on CGJ and Anzalone with misdirection, and we haven't adjusted (or can't?) The penalties... I have no explanation for. Many should NOT have been called, that uncatchable ball on the sideline was egregious. I'm still going to hold out hope against the Lions. We have shown we can stop the power running, and that is the key to the Lions offensive "success" thus far in the season. If we let Stafford throw all over the yard though, it may be time to use that leftover cap space to trade for someone (LB/DE). I think this defense lacks a partner in crime for Davis.

Did Drew miss a few opportunities tonight? Sure. Did Drew check down a lot? Yup. Is he the reason we lost? No!

The Saints have gotten slaughtered by penalties game after game after game. The biggest culprits have been in the secondary with constant PI fouls and the disturbing part is that they've really been legit calls.

Marshon Lattimore has largely been a no show. Cam Jordan hasn't showed up. Alex Anzalone is overrunning everything. D-line isn't getting pressure. The opposing team's TE is killing us week after week, the only player I can say who is even competent right now is DeMario Davis.

Dennis Allen Aaron Glenn and the rest of the defensive staff have got to step up and say something or make a move on the defense. You give up 34 and 37 in back to back weeks. Who expects to win a football game like this?
Defense has definitely gotten worse. Anzalone is not working out as a good starting linebacker in my opinion. He's like our new Shanle. He's just there

Last edited:
Did Drew miss a few opportunities tonight? Sure. Did Drew check down a lot? Yup. Is he the reason we lost? No!

The Saints have gotten slaughtered by penalties game after game after game. The biggest culprits have been in the secondary with constant PI fouls and the disturbing part is that they've really been legit calls.

Marshon Lattimore has largely been a no show. Cam Jordan hasn't showed up. Alex Anzalone is overrunning everything. D-line isn't getting pressure. The opposing team's TE is killing us week after week, the only player I can say who is even competent right now is DeMario Davis.

Dennis Allen Aaron Glenn and the rest of the defensive staff have got to step up and say something or make a move on the defense. You give up 34 and 37 in back to back weeks. Who expects to win a football game like this?

I think a lot of what you are saying may be true to an extent but I also think that the defense is playing in hamstring mode right now and that may be directly because of the numerous flags that are being thrown against them.

This is a much better defense when they are allowed to play in an attacking a aggressive fashion but the fear of being flagged has thrown a serious wrench into that. If you think that thought doesn't enter into a players psyche then you are sadly mistaken.

The mindset of the Saints defense is like this......................................imagine driving down the road and the light in front of you changes and you speed up to beat the light. Two cars run the same light behind you but you're the one who gets pulled over.

In the last two games the Saints have been flagged 18 times and the Raiders and Packers were flagged 5 times combined.................Raiders 3 times and the Packers 2 times.

I don't care what anyone says....................numbers like that will make ANY team a little gunshy!!

What's being lost in all this is AJ Klein is gone.

I remember him missing 2 games last year and RB's and TE's ran wide open in those 2 games as well.

Now he wasn't perfect but he did line us up well. Surely didn't see TE's and RB's running wide open every play when we had him.

Anzalone doesn't know what the hell he's doing, he's been the one not reading any of these plays and nose diving to the inside to rush a play up the middle leaving everyone to roam outside.

Our offensive line is decimated. Morestead is showing his age. Good thing we have his successor in the building.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom