This entire defense has regressed (1 Viewer)

I am not sure what everyone expected. The big surprise is that we did halfway good in the first game. It takes a while for a DA defense to get going. And with no preseason, they are weeks behind. I don’t understand why we can’t pick up where we left off on defense from year to year. It’s as if we signed 11 new starters every year. They have to learn how to play again, and DA has to learn how to call a game again. I don’t get that at all.
And always always always with the PI. Just not good enough in the secondary or just not coached well enough or just not disciplined enough.

All three safeties are liabilities. That’s PJ, Jenkins, and Williams. Constant missed assignments, blown coverages, and penalties from this group.
You don't think it might not be the personnel but the coaching?

Davis and Chauncey are about the only players so far on defense that don’t look like they’ve regressed. Every season under Allen we always start with these complex looks and every season our defense starts out slow. I won’t be too worried until mid season although I think we should look for a different dc in the offseason

This defense is currently giving up more points than the 2014 -2016 defenses
2020: 31.7 pts (28th Ranked)

2016: 28.4 (31st Ranked)
2015: 29.8 (32nd Ranked)
2014: 26.5 (28th Ranked)

Last night's woes were 90% lack of pass rush, 10% secondary.

There were several times where Rodgers had an eternity back there and still couldn't find anyone and ended up throwing it away because the DB's were holding their own. There was zero pass rush coming from any direction all game - it was pathetic.

The elephant in the room...
Elephant in the room or not could be, and has, been debated ad nauseam. The fact is that MJ hasn't played up to the caliber that Von Bell did last year. Yes it's only a 3 game sample size and things could change. But it is what it is so far.

STOP BLAMING THE PLAYERS WHEN ITS THE COACH AND COACHING! DA is basically running a watered down replica or Rob and Gregg Playbook . He has the personnel yet
Play calling , putting the players to their strength and detail is not what he does best he is playing basically with just talent out their I’ve been saying for years he’s a bad D Coordinator .

Elephant in the room or not could be, and has, been debated ad nauseam. The fact is that MJ hasn't played up to the caliber that Von Bell did last year. Yes it's only a 3 game sample size and things could change. But it is what it is so far.
I’m confused what have Vonn Bell has done better that MJ, CGJ, PJWilliams Or JJ couldn’t handle the Saints ran into a monster with Waller and instead of taking away there best player we let him run wild . Jam him at the line hit him in his route put hands on that boy and I guarantee you his stat line looks a lot more like it did vs NE then The Saints . It’s not the players moreso then the coaching and having players out of position

On offense usually players go to another team and get worst offensive good coaches on the other hand defense players go some where else and get better its defense coaching we bring back they regress prob and Jenkins 2 examples we have players who celebrate a fumble while losing to 3 tds bad attitude lovers attitude "me me selfishness " this hof 16'draft what a joke

The defensive issues come down to a lack of film study or rather film to study. This team excels on defense typically as the season progresses and they are able to study more and more film on a team. In many ways, the offense is similar.

Without the benefit of preseason, I worried even more that our timing would be off as an offense and it has been. And I especially worried about how the defense would perform. Both units will improve as the season progresses on and as the defense gets a good handle on what offenses like to do.

Certainly, you wish the defense could just be world beaters but unfortunately this is a study-to-excel group. They play well because of clever gameplanning. It is the same thing every year. Go back to last season or the season before and you’ll notice huge struggles early on and then they seem to hit a stride and play like a top 10 unit. It’s crazy.

Thru Sean Payton's tenure the Saints have always had the same problems. Can't get off the field, can't cover a TE, give up big plays, and choke at the worst times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom