This feels something like the start of the 2006 season (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Coming off a dismal 3-13 season; post Katrina, a whole lot of players added to the team, and a very brutal & tough training camp.

Very few figured the Saints to be competitive enough to get into the playoffs. The team started with three tough road games that they scrapped to get through:

Then, they played MNF in the Dome, and Gleason's block lit a fire that carried through for an OVERachieving 10-6 record and first round bye.

This 2016 team (a decade later) has a tough road ahead. But if they can manage to pull of a string "W's" early, they may be able to make some noise. Our defense is actually good. Our running game appears to be solid. All three of our receivers (Cooks, Snead & Thomas) can beat single coverage... but

...our offensive line is a big question mark. Should they find a way to make the O-line good enough, the 2016 Saints would have the potential to make a run in the postseason.

No one saw the 2006 Saints coming. Who, outside of local fans and media, see the 2016 Saints coming?

Just my :tpenny:

:gosaints:

I can appreciate the optimism but to say our defense is good is jumping the gun. They've looked competent in the first two preseason games and terrible in the third. I think they'll will definitely be improved but by how much is yet to be seen.

And our run game has looked about as bad as I've seen a team run the ball at any level of football. It's honestly atrocious. I hope it gets patched up but I don't know what you have seen so far to say our run game will be solid.

Let's see how the first REAL game goes . What to expect ? Who knows , and I'm okay with that .

I remember prior to the 2006 season I didn't care what the Saints record was, I just was tired of seeing "ugly" football - turn-overs, costly penalties, etc. You guys remember the last few years of the Haslett era. In 2006, SP came in and did away with a lot of the "ugly" football we had been seeing. SP and Drew need to get the Saints back to a team that does not turn the ball over on offense. I think if they can do that, everything else will fall and place and the Saints will surprise a lot of people. If they continue the turnovers we've seen plaguing them the last few years and during preseason, then I'm afraid we will see a repeat of last year.

Well if history is repeating itself then we got then we will win the Super Bowl in 2019

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus using Tapatalk

Is this becoming a thing? Somehow EVERY season is "just like 2006"

I really want to agree with the OP but I fear three major differences from 2006:

1) That team was tempered tough and bound together as a team by a brutal training camp.
2) Drew's body was younger and more capable of taking a pounding.
3) The league's defensive coordinators have 10 years of tape of Payton's offensive schemes.

That said, if by some miracle our boys can break out of the gate 3-1, anything is possible.

I really want to agree with the OP but I fear three major differences from 2006:

1) That team was tempered tough and bound together as a team by a brutal training camp.
2) Drew's body was younger and more capable of taking a pounding.
3) The league's defensive coordinators have 10 years of tape of Payton's offensive schemes.

That said, if by some miracle our boys can break out of the gate 3-1, anything is possible.

3-1 is eminently doable. We drop one to either the Raiders or Giants, then whoop the Falcons at home on Monday Night on the 10th ann. of the Dome reopening, and head west and beat the quite beatable Chargers.

3-1 is eminently doable. We drop one to either the Raiders or Giants, then whoop the Falcons at home on Monday Night on the 10th ann. of the Dome reopening, and head west and beat the quite beatable Chargers.

Oooh yeah, let that sunshine through....

1) A young, brilliant Sean Payton that the defenses of the league have never gone up against
2) A prime Deuce McAllister
3) A young, hungry Reggie Bush that, again, other defenses have no experience with
4) Joe Horn, Marques Colston, Devery Henderson
5 A solid offensive line studded by All-Pros
6) A tremendous wave of emotion that gave the team a sense of purpose and drive never before seen in a football team

This year's team has none of those things. The personnel, the circumstances, the backdrop are all completely different. Even Brees and especially Payton, though they're a common thread between the two seasons, are in vastly different surroundings and simply are not who they were 10 years ago.

Sorry, but this season is NOTHING like 2006.

Is this becoming a thing? Somehow EVERY season is "just like 2006"

When the Saints look good in preseason:

- It feels like 2009 or 2011

- The players seem super-focused

- Some new player is going to be our modern-day version of (insert player from the 2009 SB team)

When the Saints look bad in preseason:

- Relax guys, everything is very vanilla right now

- This reminds me of 2006 (which I think is their polite way of saying they're not really expecting a championship season, but are hoping the team can go on an unexpected thrill ride and exceed expectations)

- The 2008 Lions went undefeated in preseason !!!! Then didn't win a single game !!! Someone reminds us of that..........every............single...........time...........the Saints play poorly in preseason. I know their hearts are in the right place.....probably thinking "wow, I gotta post that like right now" when it enters their head.....not realizing that WE KNOW BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED FOR YEARS.

- The 2008 Lions went undefeated in preseason !!!! Then didn't win a single game !!! Someone reminds us of that..........every............single...........time...........the Saints play poorly in preseason. I know their hearts are in the right place.....probably thinking "wow, I gotta post that like right now" when it enters their head.....not realizing that WE KNOW BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED FOR YEARS.

Yet even though every knows this, every year a consistent contingent of posters insists on prognosticating doom and gloom during the preseason. Maybe if one stops, the other will too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom