This is embarassing -RROD on demo station console at GDC (1 Viewer)

Depends on the game, I would say. For just graphics, yes PC. Shooters, that's preference, but generally PC too.

Sitting around with friends playing Madden - definitely console.

RTS - C&C, Starcraft - definitely PC.

Both are excellent gaming platforms, IMO.

PC gaming is dying. RPGs are keeping it on life support.

I don't have a link, but they exist. People are talking about it.

pop that sucker open. BE CAREFUL!!! and wipe the lens. Probably has a layer of film built up. Especially if you smoked Cigs or Weed alot while playing.

Hmmmm no weed or smoke but after around what 8 or 9 years I'm sure there is some gnarly stuff built up in there. Maybe I'll try that out when I get home.

Last edited:
Hmmmm no weed or smoke but after around what 8 or 9 years I'm sure there is some gnarly stuff built up in there. Maybe I'll try that out when I get home.

be very careful. When you pop off the cover there is a silver strip that serves as a connector for your power button I believe. do not separtate that strip.

From what i gathered it was due to the different format of the disc at the time, some blue some gold some black and all needed to be played at different speeds being one was a DVD rom (gold) one was a CD rom (silver and black) and one was just Sonys CD rom (blue) But all needed different speeds and the system just couldn't adjust to all of them. Thus you would get it playing at one spped while the alternate disc would rely on a different speed and thus you would get a disc read error... or this is all horseswaggle and there was never a problem it was me. But thats what I gather, but once you PS2 crapped out and only spun one speed you better have hoped it was the format most of your games were on.

Then there is also the COLD HARD FACT, that if it didn't happen to you... it didn't happen at all.

I guess it depends on what system you own now.

This is by far the best counter-point for Microsoft, i've seen in the Xbox vs PS debate we've had here at SR.com, recently. Guess I can lighten up on Microsoft now. Thanks for the info.

I never delt with Sony about my problem because I didn't originally purchase the first PS2 i owned. I bought it from a friend of mine that had just recovered it from someone that had stole it from him. I figured maybe that the theif that kept it behind the seat of his truck while he drove around messed it up from not handling it correctly.

So I couldn't really call sony and complain about the system, that and the fact that the 90 warranty was long gone. I just knew the wal-mart trick and can care less if that is frowned upon.

Knowing this now it still wouldn't have affected my decision for this generation's console because I knew I wanted one I just didn't know which one I wanted. So I waited out the begining of each console and the RROD issue made my decision for me, that and the fact that the PS3 is a thoroughbred.

But the best gaming platform is (IMO, natch) by far the PC.

Agreed. Even though my PC is almost 6 years old. Its been upgraded since. So it is now close to the standard of Gaming PC's before Duo core processors hit the market. I wouldn't want to put Vista on it though because the processor is only 2 megs. Although 2 gigs of rdram out perform most 2 gig of sdram machines.

be very careful. When you pop off the cover there is a silver strip that serves as a connector for your power button I believe. do not separtate that strip.

NOW YOU TELL ME!!!

Nah just kiddin'. If I do mess it up no big deal since I got the Xbox360 I havn't touched the PS2 except for the kids to watch DVD's (which it doesn't play anymore).

NOW YOU TELL ME!!!

Nah just kiddin'. If I do mess it up no big deal since I got the Xbox360 I havn't touched the PS2 except for the kids to watch DVD's (which it doesn't play anymore).

Yeah it should work. Its actually pretty interesting to look inside there too. Just in case you do read this before you open it. The silver strip is very short so you will need to have something to hold the cover level and steady. No sudden movements so don't let the kids touch.

I tried fixing my last one myself (also didn't care cause I had an X-box)... but for some reason when ever I take something apart, I always have these extra parts at the end of the re-assembly, and it never seems to work after. Although I will agree with Sony that time, there may have been some sort of user error, tough call.

Last edited:
i also had 2 ps2s die on me with disc read errors. the first one died the day vice city came out, so i bought a new one the next day. the second died about 2 years afterwards. i was able to get the second working for a bit by cleaning the laser (and i think there was an allignment adjustment i made as well) but this only kept it going for a few weeks before the errors returned.

i've also gotten the rrod once on my 360, but got a brand new unit back within about 3 weeks.

in all honesty, i don't like microsoft or sony, but i have a particular dislike of sony because of the timing of the first unit breaking lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom