"This Is Football" [Soccer] on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"A todos los que quieren, a todos los que aman el Futbol... este es el juego del hombre!". Angel Fernandez.

"To all who want, to all who love Football... this is mankind's game!"

Those were the words that greeted me every Sunday afternoon as I turned on the TV to watch my favorite team, Las Aguilas del América, spoken by arguably the best play by play AND color commentator (he was in the booth by himself) in the history of the MX league, if not the world (but I may be biased :hihi: ).

"This Is Football" is a 6 part documentary not about the game itself, but as @Oye would put it :hihi: , about the human condition, and how this one game is intertwined with it, through tragedy, natural disasters, war, and while each episode stands alone, the entire series does paint a portrait of the human condition over the canvas of Football.

"This Is Football" is a 6 part documentary not about the game itself, but as @Oye would put it :hihi: , about the human condition, and how this one game is intertwined with it, through tragedy, natural disasters, war, and while each episode stands alone, the entire series does paint a portrait of the human condition over the canvas of Football.

:yes:

it's like I tell my players, and whisper to myself as I listen to Dan Lebatard in the car, "Ball is life."

(and I mean that in the metaphorical, allegorical sense and not the priority sense)

Watched ep 1 last night- Rwanda.

I implore all who live thru Katrina to watch. Not equating the two catastrophes, because you cant ( natural disaster vs genocide ), but those that knew what Saints football meant to the region should feel a "kinship" with those in Rwanda and just what a sport can do for a city, a region, a country.

What struck me was the young man who was orphaned and how he explained what soccer meant. I think i may have alluded to here before, but when you are on that pitch, nothing, and i mean NOTHING else matters ( in the outside world). When you find that sport, it never leaves you.

Ahhh what a great ep 1. will watch ep 2 this eve.

Watched ep 1 last night- Rwanda.

I implore all who live thru Katrina to watch. Not equating the two catastrophes, because you cant ( natural disaster vs genocide ), but those that knew what Saints football meant to the region should feel a "kinship" with those in Rwanda and just what a sport can do for a city, a region, a country.

What struck me was the young man who was orphaned and how he explained what soccer meant. I think i may have alluded to here before, but when you are on that pitch, nothing, and i mean NOTHING else matters ( in the outside world). When you find that sport, it never leaves you.

Ahhh what a great ep 1. will watch ep 2 this eve.

I wasn't expecting the 1st episode to be that compelling, but being that it dealt with Rwanda, it took a stronger meaning for me and my wife, especially my wife.

Her dad worked for the World Bank in Africa for many years, and was very fond of the African continent. As a child, in the 70's, my wife lived in a couple different countries in Africa for a while. He retired mid-80's, but after that, the World Bank would contract him for time to time, mostly dealing with refinancing debt after coups (fun job, uh?). He was contracted to go to Rwanda after the new government took over. He came back from Rwanda broken from the things he saw, and mind you, he was a WWII veteran. Upon arriving in the U.S., he called the head of the World Bank and told him: "don't you ever call me again", and hung up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom