This is going well for Goodell (1 Viewer)

NFL Consistent?

You keep posting all this old stuff as if it's new news. A lot has changed since five days ago, the Ravens are in the middle of an actual outbreak. They have over 20 players on the COVID list and not just for contact tracing like the Broncos, there are multiple players that has tested positive (4 more today). But, yeah, everything fine.

You keep posting all this old stuff as if it's new news. A lot has changed since five days ago, the Ravens are in the middle of an actual outbreak. They have over 20 players on the COVID list and not just for contact tracing like the Broncos, there are multiple players that has tested positive (4 more today). But, yeah, everything fine.
I do agree with the First Take Crew that a NBA like bubble would have solved this problem.

I'm reading all these posts, and I see points on both sides of debate. That's fine. This is a message board. But what really pisses me off is the arbitrary and capricious enforcement of rules/policies.

For example:

1) NFL decides it'll increase practice squad to handle COVID-19 cases.
2) NFL decides it'll allow veterans onto the practice squad, to handle COVID-19 cases.
3) NFL decides no team can get a waiver on scheduling to handle COVID-19 issues.

That's fine. So enforce universally.

1) NFL postpones games for New England, Tennessee, and Baltimore due to COVID-19 cases.
2) NFL refuses to postpone a game for Denver for COVID-19 cases.

That is the definition of a double standard.

But it's not new. It's the same crap Goodell has been doing for 14 years. It's about enforcing the same standard universally across all teams (whether it's Tom Brady's team or Sam Darnold's team). It shouldn't matter whether it's a pandemic, or bounties, or video taping opponents, or Tuck rules. It's about fairness. Which Goodell has failed to do for 14 years.

I'm reading all these posts, and I see points on both sides of debate. That's fine. This is a message board. But what really pisses me off is the arbitrary and capricious enforcement of rules/policies.

For example:

1) NFL decides it'll increase practice squad to handle COVID-19 cases.
2) NFL decides it'll allow veterans onto the practice squad, to handle COVID-19 cases.
3) NFL decides no team can get a waiver on scheduling to handle COVID-19 issues.

That's fine. So enforce universally.

1) NFL postpones games for New England, Tennessee, and Baltimore due to COVID-19 cases.
2) NFL refuses to postpone a game for Denver for COVID-19 cases.

That is the definition of a double standard.

But it's not new. It's the same crap Goodell has been doing for 14 years. It's about enforcing the same standard universally across all teams (whether it's Tom Brady's team or Sam Darnold's team). It shouldn't matter whether it's a pandemic, or bounties, or video taping opponents, or Tuck rules. It's about fairness. Which Goodell has failed to do for 14 years.
I'm not trying to defend these decisions I'm just attempting to point out the differences between what happened to the Broncos and those other listed teams. The postponements were because of multiple positive cases on those teams and the Broncos had ONE and the Ravens has an actual outbreak which will, most likely, result in severe punishment for that franchise.

The NFL, rightly or wrongly, decided to make an example of the Broncos for their QBs failing to adhere to the masking guidelines during their meetings.

I see comparing the Broncos case vs the other as a false equivalency.

I'm not trying to defend these decisions I'm just attempting to point out the differences between what happened to the Broncos and those other listed teams. The postponements were because of multiple positive cases on those teams and the Broncos had ONE and the Ravens has an actual outbreak which will, most likely, result in severe punishment for that franchise.

The NFL, rightly or wrongly, decided to make an example of the Broncos for their QBs failing to adhere to the masking guidelines during their meetings.

I see comparing the Broncos case vs the other as a false equivalency.

Your point is valid. You're right about the point you made.

The point I'm trying to make is this goes over the last 20 years. Goodell has been finding ways to "selectively" enforce rules. Often times, teams have gotten screwed. Latest example is the Broncos.

I have no problem with enforcing same standards. I want it.

But Roger Goodell -does not- enforce same standards. He finds ways to make exceptions. Historically. Most often he'll make exceptions for people named Tom Brady or Robert Kraft.

It's a double standard.

All the hosts on SXM NFL Channel were far more critical of the Denver QBs than the Commissioner. So was Coach Fangio.

Talking heads that feed off of controversy aren't as persuasive as level-headed analysts that have been around the league. Solomon Wilcots said something to the effect that you don't reward the childish behavior by removing the penalty - there are position group rooms all around the league that have been doing the professional, adult thing and following the rules. Postponing the Broncos game because their QBs couldn't do the same would be the entirely wrong message.

The celebration penalty for us seems inconsistent. But perhaps they're not done with those penalties yet. Other teams might get them.
The Saints have/are appealing the penalty/punishment levied against them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom