This is Hilarious - Raiders subject (2 Viewers)

Let's wait until after Brees has won a playoff game before we put him on a pedastal.

Well, I don't believe the comments in the original post were warrated (at least based on the linked article), but there is a marked difference between Brees and Brooks at QB. Brees is already light years better than AB (albeit with a better coaching staff...but probably a worse offensive line) in almost every important quality for NFL QB's.

There's a playbook and a gameday playbook. The simplistic playcalling is something that you do for a young QB. However, giving a QB outlets underneath is NOT making the playbook more complex. That's where walter in his use of language is showing me that he isn't the brightest bulb.

PS not starting for the Raiders could be the best thing for Brooks future anyway.

Yup, that guy Dalton Hilliard and Rueben Mayes didn't have any running game at all. Neither did Ironhead Heyward.

Since Hebert started in '87 only once did the Saints have a thousand yard rusher with Hilliard in '89 and 3.7 yards per carry wasn't that impressive. It was pretty much running back by committee his entire Saints career. While Hilliard, Mayes, and Heyward were all decent NFL backs, none of them can ever be confused with a solid/reliable starting caliber player. Then again, Hebert himself was only what I would call a step above journeyman.

I'm also not a very bright bulb, but I don't understand this:

"That's where walter in his use of language is showing me that he isn't the brightest bulb. "

Apologies, but what does that mean?

ddd

Since Hebert started in '87 only once did the Saints have a thousand yard rusher with Hilliard in '89 and 3.7 yards per carry wasn't that impressive. It was pretty much running back by committee his entire Saints career. While Hilliard, Mayes, and Heyward were all decent NFL backs, none of them can ever be confused with a solid/reliable starting caliber player. Then again, Hebert himself was only what I would call a step above journeyman.

It wasn't until 1991 before a true running back by committee was formed. That was due to injuries and retirements. For 5 years from '86- 90 the running game was hardly "no running game"

Here is the Saints rushing from the official site:

'86 - Mayes 1353, Hilliard 425 (Hebert and Wilson were qb's)
'87 - Mayes 917 Hilliard 508
'88 - Hilliard 823, Mayes 628 (hurt), Heyward 355
'89 - Hilliard 1262 (mayes DNP) Heyward and Jordan by committee 362 yds
'90 - Heyward 599, Mayes 510, Heyward 284
'91 - McAfee 494, Fennerty 477, Heyward 260
'92 Dunbar 565, Hilliard 445, Heyward 416

They also had a very solid offensive line with Roaf, Dombroski, Edelman, and Brock.

"I think we have a greater chance," Brooks said. "I possess some skills that with my experience gives us a greater chance."

Yep... reminds me of "I'm a Top-5 QB in this league and want to be paid accordingly"............ geez

For all you AB apologists, simply look at the W-L's under him and now.... The difference in this team and last is simply the QB play.... If you can't see that you really are not watching very closely

The difference in this team and last is simply the QB play.... If you can't see that you really are not watching very closely

QB play is one of the differences....coaching is another......and we did overhaul the roster and drafted some guys that are playing well...If you can't see that you really are not watching very closely:ezbill:

Let's see... Colston..Bush...Replace most of the OL..New staff... Get rid of Donte.. Thanks for proving my point about remarks that only a hater would make.

Last edited:
Speaking of 5 & 7 step drops, has anyone else noticed Brees starting to look further down field on many plays? He was getting rid of the ball very quick early in the season. There appears to be lots more time for him. Either the O-line is getting better or it already was and he is just trusting them more? Sorry for the hijack but I couldn't resist. I do hope that AB catches a break in Oakland and has some better games..

The difference in this team and last is simply the QB play.... If you can't see that you really are not watching very closely

Well, that's so comletely not true.

Almost every aspect of this team is different--the offensive line schemes, the quarterback play, the use of misdirection, the play design, the way we run draws and screens, etc, etc.

I guess I always miss the part where these OPs mention that AB's better seasons were while digesting MM's complicated schemes. The same scheme that the WRs and OL mumbled about. I see no value in this topic, other than sniping AB.

I met a guy recently who worked for the Saints for 10 years. He said Aaron Brooks never learned the Saints playbook, not even close.

Speaking of 5 & 7 step drops, has anyone else noticed Brees starting to look further down field on many plays? He was getting rid of the ball very quick early in the season. There appears to be lots more time for him. Either the O-line is getting better or it already was and he is just trusting them more? Sorry for the hijack but I couldn't resist. I do hope that AB catches a break in Oakland and has some better games..

I was crying about the deep routes being possible all season, and that maybe Brees never could take advantage of Ds focusing on our run game.

However, I've been impressed with Brees looking for the big play lately. Perhaps he still has Marty ball in his system, and I assume his shoulder is still healing.

Last edited:
I met a guy recently who worked for the Saints for 10 years. He said Aaron Brooks never learned the Saints playbook, not even close.

I'll take the public statements of Haz over what some guy in a football forum said that some other guy said.

I know we try to put the past out of our mind but this cracks me up. Appears the Raiders dumbed down the playbook for AB and now Walters is complaining its too limited! LMAO

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...lug=ap-raiders-quarterbacks&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Walter took shots at coordinator Tom Walsh's offense after Sunday's 17-13 loss to Denver, saying there is not enough "depth" in the playbook, the offense was too predictable, and that the team needed to utilize more quick-developing plays than five- and seven-step drops."

"We need to make it more complex," Walter said, referring to the Raiders' playbook. "I'd like more swing routes, flat routes, short stuff. There are certain things I'd like to see."

"Brooks has made 84 starts in his career and said he believed he gives the team a better chance to win than the inexperienced Walter does.

"I think we have a greater chance," Brooks said. "I possess some skills that with my experience gives us a greater chance." "

Thank the Lord for BREES!!!!

Get it right and stop using quotes to conform to your misguided beliefs. 2 things:

1. Art Shell's response to Walter's comments at Monday's Press Conference "And when asked if the playbook is too small as Walter indicated, Shell pretty much said it's small based on Walter's capabilities (or lack of). HE ALSO WAS ASKED IF BROOKS GIVES THEM THE OPTION TO DO MORE THINGS AND HE SAID, YES BROOKS GIVES US THE OPTION TO DO A LOT MORE!! He said he will analyze the QB position and would not say who will start this week.

2. Brooks best years was in the much more complex offenses of McCarthy offenses of 2001-2003 than the dumbed down run oriented offense of 2004 and the even more simplified offense in 2005.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom