This is How Sean Payton's Teams Start - Unexplainable No Show Losses- In Great Seasons (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
We passionate Who Dats have short memories. Sean Payton has won very few opening games since 2013. But I'll take this back a few years to show all to forget the loss and to know this team is good, probably really good.

Everyone knows we have gone 13-3, 13-3 and 11-5 over the past 3-years and below is how the team starts under SP:
2020 - Loss to Raiders, 1st Road game
2019 - Loss to a bad Rams team by 18 points, 1st road game
2018 - Loss to Bucs in season opener in the Dome
2017 - Loss 1st 2 games by 10 points or more. Vikes on the road, Pats in the Dome
2016 - Loss to Raiders in 1st game at the Dome and Giants in 2nd game on the Road

This is almost a ritual for us Who Dats to freak out in the beginning of the season. In retro, I think this is just how SP gets his teams ready. He wants his team's on fire coming into the playoff and every year there are these bizarre No-Show losses in the beginning of the year.

I want to be concerned about Brees accuracy and arm strength, the destruction of Malcom Jenkins, the coronation of TE Waller, but when I step back and see how SP teams start, it's all good and we are headed to the playoffs again. Simply, this is just normal

I get what you're saying but the big difference is Drew's age, and the reality the offense hasn't felt truly explosive in years.

I get what you're saying but the big difference is Drew's age, and the reality the offense hasn't felt truly explosive in years.

It's 1 more year just like each year before. Maybe it happens before he retires, but 41 isn't a magic number or anything. Pretty long track record saying they will turn it around. Nothing is ever certain and Brees can't play forever but I like the odds.

I never buy the can't get it done in the playoffs thing. It's a crapshoot, you just want to get a ticket. Pretty rare to have such a dominant team that you don't need some luck to go your way. Lord knows our 2009 Superbowl had some fortunate bounces throughout the playoffs.

It's 1 more year just like each year before. Maybe it happens before he retires, but 41 isn't a magic number or anything. Pretty long track record saying they will turn it around. Nothing is ever certain and Brees can't play forever but I like the odds.

I never buy the can't get it done in the playoffs thing. It's a crapshoot, you just want to get a ticket. Pretty rare to have such a dominant team that you don't need some luck to go your way. Lord knows our 2009 Superbowl had some fortunate bounces throughout the playoffs.

40 is the magic number. There is a decline after 40 when it comes to certain body functions ( production of testosterone, other age-defying hormones, synapses etc ) Wont bore you with the medical findings.

It just happens. Some have it at 40. some at 42. OThers tad later. But make no mistake, it happens.

I wanted Drew to delay Father Time one more year. But its become apparent, he cannot. What can he give us while dealing with this? Not sure after the first 2 games. We cant win with 55% completion and a 5 yard per attempt average.

40 is the magic number. There is a decline after 40 when it comes to certain body functions ( production of testosterone, other age-defying hormones, synapses etc ) Wont bore you with the medical findings.

It just happens. Some have it at 40. some at 42. OThers tad later. But make no mistake, it happens.

I wanted Drew to delay Father Time one more year. But its become apparent, he cannot. What can he give us while dealing with this? Not sure after the first 2 games. We cant win with 55% completion and a 5 yard per attempt average.

So he's getting old but you still don't know if he's done. You are guessing. The same guess that could have been made in 2018.

I think this team is forever shell shocked by officiating. From top to bottom. We were absolutely obliterating the Raiders and then we had one drive slowed by some soft penalties and everyone basically gave up.

The biggest problem is the timing of our penalties. We always get holding flags on drives where we are about to pull away, and we always get PI on key 3rd downs.

We react to flags the same way the Falcons react to a team making a comeback in the second half. Everyone panics and makes awful decisions. We have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves every time we get a flag, and it starts with SP changing his playcalling away from the run after one holding call.

btw: The Waller-Jacobs combo behind that big O-line is pretty lethal. Waller is a freak just coming into his own and nobody has really figured out how to shut him down. And they have arguably a Top 3 RB who can take it to the house on any play. Cheat on Waller and Carr runs Jacobs. Cheat on the run protection against Jacobs and Carr goes to Waller. Waller almost cannot be defended on quick slants. 6'6" with huge vertical leap, long arms, sticky hands and 4.5 speed.

I didn't realize the last time we were 2-0 was 2013. So yeah, typical start but the offense is scaring me.

Good stats from the OP

Unfortunately, the no show loses at the begining of the season have been showing at the end of the season in the playoffs and the same questions concerning the play calling and the arm strength of DB are the topics of the discussion.

Last edited:
@Swimmer are you actually implying that we lose these early games not because of SP doing a crappy job of preparing the team or the team miserably underachieving from the getgo but rather because he intentionally tanks our chances for the #1 seed right at the start of each season even though we're significantly better at home in the playoffs and next to helpless on the road?

I've never seen Drew consistantly missing open players on short/intermediate passes the way he has the last couple of weeks - even before MT was hurt, although I think his absence makes things worse. Obviously it's only two games, but it just LOOKS different this year. If we could count on the defense playing as well as they did in week one all year round, that would be one thing. But they were awful last night, and if Drew can't get the basic passes right anymore, this team isn't making the playoffs.

Last edited:
So he's getting old but you still don't know if he's done. You are guessing. The same guess that could have been made in 2018.

"being done" is relative.

Relative to the speed and strength of NFL football week in and week out, you will not see the same Drew you saw a year ago. He isnt "done" in that he cant make ANY throws. What you are seeing is him BECOMING done. Its a gradual decline that he has done everything to fight off.

I can go play soccer with 40something year olds and dominate. I then go play with 30 year olds and look like a 50 year old.

Drew is playing against guys 15-20 years younger. If you dont think that means anything, im not sure what to tell you.

You just dont beat aging.

We’ve had this happen numerous times, but every time it does, the same panicked reactions dominate here. I’m as disappointed as anyone in last night’s effort and outcome, but we have a pretty strong track record under Payton/Brees—50-yard bomb pass attempts or not—of going on tears and looking like an efficient offensive machine. I fully expect the same to happen this season.

The topic over which I will express some frustration is the rapidity with which Coach seems to abandon the rushing attack. Our line is full of maulers! FEED KAMARA, MURRAY, AND HILL!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom