This is interesting. Redskins VP Eric Schaffer? (1 Viewer)

Chairman_LMAO

Cartoonish Supervillain
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
From a Redskins blog:

I think we have had our fair share of bad contracts, such as the obvious Adam Archuleta and Brandon Lloyd fiascos. I've just said that dead cap space is about as useful a measure for a team's cap efficiency as anything else, so it is telling that we lead the league in wasted spending there as well. And finally Jason's last bit lends weight to the thinking that it simply isn't all that clear how decisions are made, by whom, on this team.

The reason the above question was raised about VP of football administration Eric Schaffer's degree of blame (or praise?) for the Redskins financial situation is because Your Washington Redskins aren't the only team that wants to employ him:
The New Orleans Saints have been looking to fill a void in their front office for a director of football administration since February and were recently rebuffed by the Redskins. The Saints wanted to interview Skins VP of football administration Eric Schaffer, but were denied, league sources said.

The reason for the <STRIKE>****</STRIKE> block cited by Jason would be our proximity to the draft, which makes plenty of sense. There's no point giving up an additional mind so close to the 2008 NFL Draft.

Schaffer has been called our cap guru (perhaps ironically, I'm not sure) and was promoted within this organization at least as recently as 2005. And now he is being sought out by the Saints to interview for their own depleted football administration department.

So the question becomes: For a franchise that is so frequently criticized (by the likes of me) for its questionable cap strategies, excessive dead cap space, annual concerns over cap management, and frequent questionably large contracts to players that don't pan out, why is it that we have a guy who is wanted not only within the organization but elsewhere?

:shrug:

I am glad they are looking to fill the vacant slot. I honestly do not keep up with who is who around the leagues front offices, so I will have to trust Loomis on this one.

Everybody in the world knows who picks the player in Washington, is not Vinnie Cerrato and certainly not Eric Shaffer.

If Shaffer is the sole responsible to signing those contracts, then he is magic. I just can't understand how a team that always is way over the cap have been able to bring high-profile free agents. If someone in the organisation is not fiscally responsible, it is Snyder.

I presume that Loomis should have read some of this contracts, and may have been surprised by the creativity of them. Shaffer may be an asset for the saints, considering the man who will be authorizing (or not) the contracts, is Loomis.

Scaheffer would be responsible for fitting those over-priced Free Agents in under the cap year-after-year, not the decision to acquire them in the first place.

In that regard, he's done an exceptional job there.

Edit - I'm parroting guillermo apparently :hihi:

That guy is a friggin artist... I don't know how they continue to get all of these high-priced players every offseason (sans 2008) and they are always over the cap when the offseason begins... friggin genious I tell ya...

Everybody in the world knows who picks the player in Washington, is not Vinnie Cerrato and certainly not Eric Shaffer.

If Shaffer is the sole responsible to signing those contracts, then he is magic. I just can't understand how a team that always is way over the cap have been able to bring high-profile free agents. If someone in the organisation is not fiscally responsible, it is Snyder.

I presume that Loomis should have read some of this contracts, and may have been surprised by the creativity of them. Shaffer may be an asset for the saints, considering the man who will be authorizing (or not) the contracts, is Loomis.

Indeed, within the Saints organization, a capologist would be responsible for negotiating the contracts not picking what players to go after or what players to release.

The Saints would need someone who gets along well with agents and is a strong negotiator -which is why Russ Ball was so valuable.

Sounds like in Washington's case, there is no clear chain of command when it comes to acquiring players.

Indeed, within the Saints organization, a capologist would be responsible for negotiating the contracts not picking what players to go after or what players to release.

Loomis and Ball were a perfect team to negotiate contracts. If I am not mistaken, Loomis usually personally takes the negotiation of the first rounder, and Ball at the same time was negotiating the rest.

I think that basically Loomis will determine the parameters of the contracts of all of our picks. What we need is a good negotiator that can be able to multitask and sign all of the contracts on time, before training camp.

To acheive this, the guy should have experience and a good reputation with the agents. We don't need a hard-baller, but a fair one, with great skills of communication, with both Mickey and the agents.

I know this might just be an emotional reaction to anyone from the Redskins. Trust me he must have done some serious magic with all the players that Dan Schneider kept bringing in. I live in DC and it's BAD here. I just cringe at the thought of ANYONE from the Redskins organization. Such a horrible organization.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom