This is it. And it sucks (1 Viewer)

SaintsNY

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
In what felt like an eternity, Brees has been a fixture of Saints football for nearly two decades. Its hard to even remember what it was like to watch Saints games without our future HOF QB taking snaps, but for the last two seasons we had glimpses of what it will be like. Despite his diminished skill sets, I always believed he gave us the best chance to win, and would also be our demise but I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Being an outsider I saw the importance he not only had in the rebuilding the Saints organization into one of the more respected teams in the league, but also the part he played in rebuilding the entire city after the catastrophic events of hurricane Katrina. He is a generous man, a great person, and a loving father who did everything and literally gave everything to ensure that New Orleans thrived.

We all know his story on the football field. An undersized QB who dealt with a career threatening shoulder injury. He took a big risk, along with Sean Payton, coming to a franchise that has known nothing but losing and was on the brink of relocating. But he embraced the challenge. It was almost like both player and city were dealing with being broken and needed each other to heal. That's exactly what happened.

His tenure with the Saints was magical. His first year the Super Dome reopened. A place where many seeked shelter is now hosting football games. We all know what took place on that very night. He then got us to the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. Several year after that he delivered the ultimate prize, the Lombardi trophy, to the once crippled city of New Orleans.

It wasn't always magical however. There weremany heartbreaks along the way. The way we lose in the playoffs, the bleak 7-9 seasons, or the bounty gate scandal that rocked the organization. Drew stood tall in the face of adversity though. He was the glimmer of light in the darkness. Whenever he was playing, we had a chance. He was a constant professional and worked his tail off to ensure the success of this team. Along the way he broke many records and established himself as of the best QBs to play the game.

Unfortunately time comes for us all, and time for Drews career is at an end. I remember the years after manning retiring I would look for decline in Brees, but it felt like it wouldn't happen. However, midway through 2018, I saw it. Despite being the MVP runner up I saw him lose something. That was his last year to win the championship while still playing at a high level. After the thumb injury in 2019, I saw clear signs of serious decline, but he continued to fight through father time and have a nice season. Now in 2020 its as clear as day that his body just can't handle it anymore. He broke 11 million ribs, punctured a lung and dealt with a shoulder injury for much of the year. I wanted so bad, almost as much as general team success, for Drew to get his fairytale ending. Something he has worked so hard for. To win one last Super Bowl. Unfortunately we don't get to write our last chapter.

The end of the Drew Brees era has most likely reached its conclusion and its difficult to write it. Part of me wants him to come back, to a full stadium, for one last ride. To really lay it out all out there. I want him to go out the way he deserves to go out but I think its time to move on.

If this is it, thank you Drew for all the good memories, a Super Bowl and for what you've done for the City. His impact will never be forgotten, and he will be missed greatly.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom