This is the first off-season where I've been truly worried about the state of our team (1 Viewer)

Just picking up on this, I think people's expectation of what a 'middling' WR is is rather overcooked.

Using 2019 as an example, only 33 WR in the league achieved 60+ receptions. Assuming equal distribution of talent for a moment, that's effectively one per team, rather than a 'middling' guy. If you take it down a notch, to the theoretical second best guy per team (WR64) that's actually somewhere in the range of Auden Tate with 40 catches to perhaps Russell Gage / Hunter Renfrow on 49 catches .

Admittedly I was working more with the concept of payroll, not reception numbers. The main thought was a WR that cost as much as a good (but not elite) guard or LB. So someone in the 5-7 mil per year range. That's around WR 40-50 in that position's payscale. Guys like Woods, Gabriel, Sanu, Snead, Cobb make that much.

One technical thing though, WR64 would be the worst of second-best guys. An average second-best guy would be WR48.

Last edited:
Admittedly I was working more with the concept of payroll, not reception numbers. The main thought was a WR that cost as much as a good (but not elite) guard or LB. So someone in the 5-7 mil per year range. That's around WR 40-50 in that position's payscale. Guys like Woods, Gabriel, Sanu, Snead, Cobb make that much.

One technical thing though, WR64 would be the worst of second-best guys. An average second-best guy would be WR48.
Yeah, I retro edited to introduce the range of WR48-64 - apologies if it wasn't clear enough - that's where Gage/Renfrow came in.

It's just intriguing to me that people typically think a WR2 should have much higher reception numbers than is the case, so just thought I'd point it out.

No disagreement with your point or rationale, though. Although seeing slot receivers being paid $9m per in the last round of FA was instructional...

Y

yes he has but still avg at best and best Player ?
That’s down right disrespectful to Davis, Jordan and Lattimore maybe one of the 5 best which doesn’t say much .

Bell is good but not 7-12 million a year good, Id pay him maybe 5- 6million yet when you look at the roster and being able to possibly keep PJ and CJ Gardener Johnson along with the draft I roll with that.

CB Lattimore
NCB CJ. Johnson
CB- FA/Jenkins

M. Williams
PJ. Williams
DB-Rookie /Hampton

I don’t understand people wanting to get rid of Bell. He’s solid at the right price.

I don’t understand people wanting to get rid of Bell. He’s solid at the right price.
Key is right price and how much are you willing to tie up in the secondary . CJ is going to stay in the Nickel.
you have to Pay Lattimore and then Williams if we ball out on Bell we can’t afford to upgrade the other CB spot or retain whom we already have

Hard decisions have to be made no one wants to get rid off Bell but if I had to pick him with a Market value vs PJ possibly resigning for less than 3 mil playing that same role I’ll take PJ
-Coverage Skills
-Tackler
-Can lineup on TE and WR or sit

Seeing Williams at Safety is what I’m been screaming for years he’s at his best when he can sit back and watch the play instead of turning and running

I’m calling it now if we can sure up the #2 CB spot and that’s our starting safeties our Secondary will be lockdown!
Let’s not forget PJ was 6’0 200 4.57 4.45
Bell 5’11 -205 4.51 4.55

let’s not forget Williams scouting report coming out Its a reason we moved him to safety I think to test it out
His scouting report is spot on and still to this Day which is why a move to safety would be great along with drafting one

Attachments

• A318B526-69BD-48D1-BFD2-5D1E2E212AD7.png
    A318B526-69BD-48D1-BFD2-5D1E2E212AD7.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 3
His scouting report is spot on and still to this Day which is why a move to safety would be great along with drafting one
Well I'd be delighted if he lived up to that comp with Stephon Gilmore, but that may be a pipe dream..

Well I'd be delighted if he lived up to that comp with Stephon Gilmore, but that may be a pipe dream..
He won’t ever fit the billing because he’s not a CB unless In a zone heavy scheme he’s a Dual Safety who can play NCB at a good level and outside CB if need be . He’s been misused line him up at Safety and watch the results . We used MJ at NCB and SS along with FS before he left and became All Pro/Probowler with the Eagles same can be said of Rbob being played outside when he left Eagles/Chargers was a top 3 Slot CB
We have a history of mis using talent in our secondary

David Onyemata
Eli Apple
Von Bell
P.J. Williams
A.J. Klien
Andrus Peat
Drew Brees
Teddy Bridgewater
Taysom Hill

These are just a few of the names that are upcoming Free-agents. And, we don't have the money to pay them. Then we have guys like:

Marshon Lattimore
Alvin Kamara
Ryan Ramcheik (SP?)
Sheldon Rankins
Alex Anzalone
Trey Hendrickson
Marcus Williams

All of these guys are soon going to have to be paid.

To top all of this off, we have very few Draft resources to begin to replenish the team's talent level. We have holes that need to be filled like WR, TE, OL, CB, LB, DT. And, to make matters worst, we have no monetary resources under the cap to fill all this. We have all of this dead money that is beginning to come due because of the management of Loomis - granted, he has had to do this to keep us competitive - but every dog will have its day eventually. This is the 1st off-season I have really been worried about the state of our team.

Maybe its time to begin to consider a complete rebuild. Drew is not getting any younger, and we have young players on this team that need to be taken care of now, before becoming free-agents. Every year these players play and get better, their prices go up. I really hate the Salary Cap because of this. Certain players command high dollar, and that takes away from the rest of the team. Players that play themselves into 100 million dollar contracts are great to have talent wise, but are really detrimental to the overall state of any team.

What are we to do? I love the idea of going after someone like A.J. Green, but do we really need him? Drew can't chunck the ball downfield anymore like he once did. We have no draft captal to go after high draft picks. Dang.
You're acting like these guys are getting max deals.

he is a horrible tackler however most FS in today’s NFL are most of those beastly plays made on him have been overlooked the CB or LB got beat on those plays . Williams is a lurker Who has hands whose good for 5-8 picks a year if he had decent CB play you don’t let him walk. Next year we pay him hansomly 10+ million a year
I don’t see that happening unless he fixes his tackling and cover skills and plays lights out this up coming season . Just think that Minnesota Miracle ruined his confidence and he’s now reached his potential .

I don’t see that happening unless he fixes his tackling and cover skills and plays lights out this up coming season . Just think that Minnesota Miracle ruined his confidence and he’s now reached his potential .

NOTHING IS WRONG WITH WILLIAMS COVER SKILLS the problem is he’s out of position due to play calling or having to help certain CBS M. williams is a FS with great not good hands give hi a upgrade at CB and you’ll see the results .

NOTHING IS WRONG WITH WILLIAMS COVER SKILLS the problem is he’s out of position due to play calling or having to help certain CBS M. williams is a FS with great not good hands give hi a upgrade at CB and you’ll see the results .
HE STILL CANT TACKLE !!!!! AND AS THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE THAT IS A HUGE LIABILITY TO ANY DEFENSE .

I love Bell.... but... how much is too much? At what price do we walk away?

I think a 5/40 deal is more than workable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom