This is what a brown recluse spider bite looks like... (1 Viewer)

My mother got bit by one cleaning out a closet. They like to hang around in linen that hasn't been disturbed for awhile. The following day, the bite mark became the size of a silver dollar and was oozing pus. Prompt medical attention prevented amputation. The ER doctor who treated her said if she had waited any longer,she would have lost her leg below the knee. These bites are nasty and need to be taken seriously.

I have asked my dr about that and he said just keep a pack benidryl close by and if that dosn't work get to an emergency room for a shot. As long as I get the Benedryl pills right after is doesn't cause anything but swelling of the area and some pain. If I get stung in the neck or face (only happened once, Thank GOD) then I will get a shot as soon as I can.
My wife was allergic to fire ant bites. She carried an epi pen,and her doctor told her to carry a bottle of liquid benadryl. It's faster acting than the pills.

I have asked my dr about that and he said just keep a pack benidryl close by and if that dosn't work get to an emergency room for a shot. As long as I get the Benedryl pills right after is doesn't cause anything but swelling of the area and some pain. If I get stung in the neck or face (only happened once, Thank GOD) then I will get a shot as soon as I can.
Only time I got stung by a wasp it was on my temple. Had me looking like the elephant man

I AM NOT AN ANIMAL! I'M A HUMAN BEING!
H5xBUF.gif

Just another perk of living up north. Not a whole ton of poisonous anything's up here.

Hope that leg heals up for you. I've seen pics of those bites and it makes my skin crawl. Nasty little critters.

You must have missed my earlier post. My father's cousin died of a recluse bite while cleaning his cabin in WI.....I've looked up multiple sources to see what their range is and they vary so wildly that it seems no one knows for sure....but I'd bet they have them in OH....

Now I am wondering a bit if they got the story wrong, it could have been a black widow...whatever the case he was allergic to the venom....

I admit, I didn't get through the thread yet I was so alarmed! I'm not a "run to the ER" kind of person but my husband got bit and we mos def wound up in the ER where they removed the necrotic tissue around his bite. He still calls it "surgery". I'm like, dude, that was not surgery, it was debridement.
Minor surgery is when it's your procedure, major surgery is when it's my procedure :hihi:

You must have missed my earlier post. My father's cousin died of a recluse bite while cleaning his cabin in WI.....I've looked up multiple sources to see what their range is and they vary so wildly that it seems no one knows for sure....but I'd bet they have them in OH....

Now I am wondering a bit if they got the story wrong, it could have been a black widow...whatever the case he was allergic to the venom....
We have them in Maryland. A friend of mine lost his leg from a brown recluse bite. The bite was misdiagnosed by the ER and necrotizing fasciitis set in. The settlement did not give Rick back his leg.

Last edited:

They are definitely in Ohio. They earned the name recluse because well they are reclusive and like to hide. They are typically bought into new areas by hiding in shipping boxes.

Minor surgery is when it's your procedure, major surgery is when it's my procedure :hihi:
There is no such thing as minor surgery. All surgeries are controlled wounds. The danger of infection includes all from tooth removal to bypass heart surgery

There is no such thing as minor surgery. All surgeries are controlled wounds. The danger of infection includes all from tooth removal to bypass heart surgery
Your point is well taken, even if my post was intended as a joke :)

They have them in Maryland. A friend of mine lost his leg from a brown recluse bite. The bite was misdiagnosed by the ER and necrotizing fasciitis set in. The settlement did not give Rick back his leg.
sad to hear.

Medical facilities want you to bring in the insect or arachnid that bit you. That's not always possible with a brown recluse. They are long gone by the time symptoms set in. Our local facilities will treat necrotizing flesh as a brown recluse bite to play it safe.

Last edited:
We have them in Maryland. A friend of mine lost his leg from a brown recluse bite. The bite was misdiagnosed by the ER and necrotizing fasciitis set in. The settlement did not give Rick back his leg.
sad to hear.

Medical facilities want you to bring in the insect or arachnid that bit you. That's not always possible with a brown recluse. They are long gone by the time symptoms set in. Our local facilities will treat necrotizing flesh as a brown recluse bite to play it safe.
A customer of mine got bit by a brown recluse while working in a local woodline as a lumberjack years ago.
I gained him as a customer because he didn't want to go through that at home.
He lost his arm because the local hospital misdiagnosed it as a mosquito bite and sent him home without treating it and with no prescription antibiotics.

He won a settlement against the hospital.
Similarly to saintmdterps friend...he
doesn't have to work anymore...but he's also missing an arm.

A customer of mine got bit by a brown recluse while working in a local woodline as a lumberjack years ago.
I gained him as a customer because he didn't want to go through that at home.
He lost his arm because the local hospital misdiagnosed it as a mosquito bite and sent him home without treating it and with no prescription antibiotics.

He won a settlement against the hospital.
Similarly to saintmdterps friend...he
doesn't have to work anymore...but he's also missing an arm.
Due to my mothers bite, I learned a lot about them. A bite by a black widow is a Sunday walk in the park compared to a brown recluse. BW bites are usually mild unless the victim is allergic to them. Recluse bites are another story. They can and do cause loss of life or limb if not treated promptly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom